Sorority life

<p>From what I’ve been told by girls in sororities, swaps are in the evening, which happens to be the same time as most extracurricular activities.</p>

<p>SEA_tide…</p>

<p>OK…so if swaps are in the evening, would those conflict with club soccer? Isn’t club soccer played during the day?</p>

<p>Girls’ soccer practice looks to be Monday and Thursday from 5:30-7:00 which is in the evening. Swaps last a good bit of time, and clubs are usually somewhere between 6 and 9 PM. Depending on what days swaps and mandatory study halls fall on, there would be a conflict.</p>

<p>Aren’t swaps held on Friday and Saturday nights?</p>

<p>And, since the incoming freshmen girls make their school schedules during Bama Bound, how can they have mandatory study halls that might interfere with going to class, a part-time job, or being in a sport? Are the “mandatory study halls” something like…you must study on X number of days during the following study hall times (which would allow for some flexibility)?</p>

<p>I know of at least one sorority that has Thursday swaps. I’m not too sure of how study halls work other than they are at certain times. Generally, students are not having classes past 5PM and their sorority/fraternity is their extracurricular. Their Greek organization may have an intramural team, but it seems that few freshman Greeks have jobs or play a major sport. I’m sure that some of the activities are negotiable if the student has sufficient reasoning, but it’s not like high school where it was almost required to be involved in 10 different things.</p>

<p>My kids have both have had labs that met at night. </p>

<p>I think that a student who wants the answers to these questions should join FB Alabama class of 2014 and see if any answers can be had from actual sorority members.</p>

<p>Recruitment dates for 2010:</p>

<p>Convocation (All PNM meeting): August 8
Open House: August 9-10
Philanthropy: August11-12
Skit: August 13
Preference: August 14
Bid Day: August 15</p>

<p>If any PNM is unable to attend a party/day/round she needs to submit an excuse to Panhellenic, which in turn provides each sorority with a list of absences. It is up to each sorority to decide what to do. Some may issue a courtesy invite, some may not. University events (such as Alabama Action which occurs every year during recruitment) are considered excused and Panhellenic schedules a “Meet 'n Greet” where sorority members can meet those PNMs.</p>

<p>As for some of the time committments and scheduling, policies and schedules vary significantly between chapters so this is general info. A calendar should be distributed at the beginning of each semester to all members. Though things can get added or changed, this should give each member a good idea of what is expected and allow them to plan accordingly. </p>

<p>For example, Homecoming week is a very hectic time with lots of activities members are strongly encouraged and sometimes required to attend. A member should know when her tests and papers are due. If something falls during or right after Homecoming week, it is up to her to plan accordingly. Having to study for a test is usually not an acceptable excuse. It’s all about exercising time management and planning skills, skills our members need to learn/possess in order to be successful in life. </p>

<p>Certain events/activities are considered vital to chapter operations and overall chapter success, so mandatory attendance is required. Typically if a member has a conflict for a mandatory event she can submit an excuse. What is considered an acceptable excuse depends on the chapter’s policies. Penalties for unexcused absences vary as well. Some of the typical mandatory events for new members include: chapter business meetings, new member education meetings, initiation, philanthropy events, Panhellenic speakers, recruitment workshops, recruitment events, study hall hours, some Homecoming and Greek Week events.</p>

<ul>
<li><p>Weekly chapter meetings are traditionally on Wednesday nights around 6pm. Members with a class scheduled then usually need to show this is required for their major and it is the only day/time available. (This is so people don’t purposely schedule class during chapter meetings.) </p></li>
<li><p>The first semester after pledging there will be weekly new member education meetings. Each chapter decides when these occur. There is not a traditional day/time.</p></li>
<li><p>Swaps are usually on Thursday evenings, but don’t start until late. They won’t interfere with classes. </p></li>
<li><p>Study hall hours are typically required of all members. Some have a set number per week for everyone, others base the amount on one’s previous semester GPA, and some do not require any from members with a high enough GPA. There are usually multiple days and times available. When a member completes them is usually up to her. If she has a class or meeting one evening then it is simply a matter of choosing a different day/time to get them done.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Calantha…</p>

<p>thanks for the insight. </p>

<p>It’s nice to see that there probably is some flexibility as to when a person puts in her study hours. I’m also glad to see that swaps are held late as to not interfere with classes, meetings, practices, etc.</p>

<p>It sounds like a girl who wanted to play club soccer could also pledge if she’s good with time management.</p>

<p>Calantha,</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all the detailed information…it’s an enormous help! :)</p>

<p>Calantha-</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. My daughter would have missed her graduation/going away party!!</p>

<p>I too am concerned about the logistics of participating in Greek life and a club level sport. It kind of confuses me as campus involvement seems to be an important component of Greek organizations. While looking at each sorority’s site, we kept an eye out for sports participants and found a few, but not a lot. </p>

<p>A question for anyone who knows - Since my daughter has absolutely no idea which sororities would seem like a good fit for her, does she have to get recommendation letters for all? We will be visiting campus after Christmas. Is there any opportunity to learn more about specific sororities during a campus visit?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance</p>

<p>I don’t know how one would learn about specific sororities during a campus visit. I think by joining the Facebook Alabama Class of 2014 will provide opportunitites.</p>

<p>Also, by going to… March 27 - Greek Preview Weekend - a girl can get a feel for which sororities might be right for her. Then, she could target her recs for those, but if she really wants to pledge, she shouldn’t limit her “targets” to just a small number.</p>

<p>What state are you in?</p>

<p>BTW…I’m confused…is your D’s graduation party in August during Rush week? If so, can the date be changed?</p>

<p>Rather than run from party to party in June, I was going to have a graduation/going away party in August. I didn’t realize how early the kids would have to leave. The party will now be moved to June.</p>

<p>Can you tell me a little about Greek Preview Weekend? We live in Maryland and I can begin to check airline fares for March.</p>

<p>As you can probably tell, we are trying to learn as much as we can about the recruitment process. Right now, the only part I feel confident about is the recruitment wardrobe. I never realized how competitive it can be - wow. However, my daughter is very, very interested in Greek Life.</p>

<p>Greek Weekend is important. It can help to have a few recs sent before then. I don’t have enough details to say exactly what goes on during the weekend. Maybe someone here does.</p>

<p>I think the competitive part is overblown, UNLESS a girl is set on only pledging one or two houses. Every girl that I have known to rush at UA has pledged. Some pledged at my sorority house, and some didn’t. </p>

<p>If a girl is open-minded, friendly, has a pleasant expression on her face, she’ll get a bid. If she thinks that she’ll only be happy if she pledges X house, she may be disappointed.</p>

<p>Let me add a word about “pleasant expression.” Some very nice girls don’t have a “default pleasant expression” on their faces. That can be a problem in life - not just during Rush. My sister calls that default expression, “The B Face” (she uses the real B word.) Unfortunately, if a NICE girl’s default expression is The B Face, her chances of getting bids will decline. While rushing, look happy, excited (but not ridiculously so), interested in the girls, the house, and their activities. Don’t act like you’re only rushing to meet frat guys.</p>

<p>BTW…if your D needs a rec for my sorority, PM me.</p>

<p>Here’s the link to the 2009 Panhellenic Preview Weekend (last year’s brochure)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.greeklife.ua.edu/docs/Preview%20Weekend%20Brochure.pdf[/url]”>http://www.greeklife.ua.edu/docs/Preview%20Weekend%20Brochure.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Actually, Recs do not need to be sent before Preview Weekend. Frankly they may get lost between then and recruitment. The typical time frame for Recs to be sent is May thru July.</p>

<p>Preview Weekend is a fabulous opportunity for PNMs and parents to get a feel for Greek life in general as well as the individual chapters. On Saturday each chapter will have a table set up with representatives there to talk to, get to know, and answer questions. There is a general informational meeting put on by Panhellenic to educate PNMs on what to expect in Formal Recruitment and how to be prepared. There is also a meeting specifically designed for parents to address their concerns, things 18-19 yo’s don’t always think about such as finances, chapter house living arrangements, meal plans, etc.</p>

<p>Then there are house tours. The PNMs will be divided up into groups and are able to visit each chapter house. Each chapter is allowed to a specific number of actives in the house to talk to PNMs. This gives the PNMs a chance to get a feel for those members as well as a taste of what the actual recruitment parties will be like. After that there is a Greek-wide BBQ on sorority row and everyone in attendance is invited.</p>

<p>On Friday chapters may have individual get togethers, but these are typically invite-only. In order to get on an invite list a PNM needs to find an alum who will forward her contact info on to the recruitment team. It’s just like having to find alumnae on your own to write Recs.</p>

<p>Speaking of Recs, I STRONGLY encourage every PNM to find at least 1 Rec per chapter. This is a VERY Rec oriented campus and not having one is an easy automatic cut. If a PNM concentrates only on getting Recs for those chapters she may be interested in beforehand, then what happens if during recruitment she falls in love with an unknown chapter? It’s too late to get a Rec and she gets cut from a newly discovered favorite.</p>

<p>Where do you find Rec writers? Ask around, you may be surprised who is Greek and you don’t even know it. Ask teachers, school administrators, church members, friends’ parents, relatives, anyone you come in contact with. Even if they aren’t Greek, they may know someone who is. Even if they aren’t from a sorority represented on this campus, they may know someone else who is a member of one of the 15 NPC groups here. Don’t limit yourself to just asking women either. Men may know women who are Greek.</p>

<p>If after that you still can’t find someone, check out the NPC Alumnae Association list: [National</a> Panhellenic Conference](<a href=“http://npcwomen.org/alumnae-panhellenics/directory.aspx]National”>http://npcwomen.org/alumnae-panhellenics/directory.aspx). Another option, you can go to each GLO’s Inter/National website and see if they have a list of alumnae associations, then see if there is one semi-close to your area. These women can help. (Keep in mind though with these groups that some are very active and others aren’t. There is no way to tell ahead of time.) Worst case scenario, contact UA Panhellenic and/or Greek Life to see if they can help direct you to an alumnae group. </p>

<p>Remember though, the best/strongest Recs come from alumna who know you. Chapters read every word of a Rec and a resume.</p>

<p>Thank you so much Mom2! I will share this info with my daughter when she gets home from school.</p>

<p>*Remember though, the best/strongest Recs come from alumna who know you. *</p>

<p>This is true, but not often possible for getting recs for every house.</p>

<p>Therefore, when requesting a rec from alumni that you don’t know well, provide the following…</p>

<p>1) an addressed stamped envelope that has the chapter’s address and your return address on it.</p>

<p>2) a resume</p>

<p>3) a copy of the high school transcript</p>

<p>4) a copy of the form that has parent info on it (if applicable)</p>

<p>5) some pics of the girl</p>

<p>6) a thank you note to the rec writer.</p>

<p>7) if necessary, an extra note to the rec writer mentioning career goals, intended major, and anything else the writer might want to include in the rec to more personalize the rec.</p>

<p>Where do you find Rec writers? Ask around, you may be surprised who is Greek and you don’t even know it. Ask teachers, school administrators, church members, friends’ parents, relatives, anyone you come in contact with. Even if they aren’t Greek, they may know someone who is. Even if they aren’t from a sorority represented on this campus, they may know someone else who is a member of one of the 15 NPC groups here. Don’t limit yourself to just asking women either. Men may know women who are Greek.</p>

<p>The above is very good advice. My kids (who are boys) provided my name to girls who needed recs. Also, ask co-workers.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, swaps are not required activities. If a student has a lab, or class, they’re not expected to participate. As you can guess, sports are pretty important at Alabama, so tryouts and games would probably be excusable activities (but don’t take my word - check it out!).</p>

<p>good to know. :)</p>

<p>How does my daughter register or get an invitation to the Sorority preview day at Alabama? I sent an email to panhellenic a couple weeks ago, but never heard a word. Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated.</p>