Spelman vs. Emory

<p>In the work-field are both students viewed as equals or is Emory placed above Spelman?</p>

<p>Depends on what type of work you see yourself going into. For example, many top businesses and corporations mainly recruit at top schools. LEt’s say you wanted to Major in Aerospace engineering. It would be to your benefit to attend a school like Michigan, Georgia Tech or the Ivies (Princeton and Cornell) over an HBCU because some of the best corporations only recruit at those schools, however if you are looking into going to a professional or graduate school, it doesn’t matter where you go as long as you do well. I would note that many recruiters that recruit African American students for professional schools often look at Morehouse and Spelman.</p>

<p>its easier to get into spelman than emory. emory would offer you more options and while spelman is ranked high in the HBCU rankings, a lot of people dont know about it and many would look down on it. recruiters do recruit from those 2 school for african americans but when you are black, it doesnt really matter that you go to a black school or regular school. emory is in top 20 nationally, and you will have more exposure and have a more diverse campus.</p>

<p>If your heart is telling you to go to Spelman then you should defiantly go there because you will only regret not having attended. </p>

<p>By the way Tuskegee University is the only HBCU with an Aerospace Engineering major and we have recruiters from every large and small Aerospace company out there recruiting on campus. Also a fair amount of the Aerospace graduates go onto become officers in the military. </p>

<p>If you stand out as a student, chances are you will not have a problem with your choice of grad. schools or employment.</p>

<p>emory far above</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Actually this is where you both are wrong. As a former Fortune 100 HR person, I can tell you unequivocally that every major corporation looking to do minority recruiting , especially in engineering has heard of and will come to Morehouse, Spelman, Howard, Floria A&M before coming to Emory because they know that they will be able to find a number of high achiecing minority students (many who have turned down “better” schools for the HBCU experience). </p>

<p>In speaking about engineering, Spelman has a joint degree engineering program with the following schools: </p>

<p>Auburn University
Clarkson University
Columbia University
Dartmouth College
Georgia Institute of Technology
IUPUI – Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis
North Carolina A&T State University
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rochester Institute of Technology
University of Alabama at Huntsville
University of Florida
University of Michigan
University of Notre Dame
Missouri University of Science and Technology</p>

<p>For many personal reasons I feel Emory is better. I think endowments play a part in the education received. Emory has a much higher endowment than Spelman so there may be more research opportunities. Research may help you land a job. Both are great options though.</p>

<p>emory also has a joint engineering thing with ga tech. no offense to anyone who is in HBCU but lets face it, majority of the people are there are average or bellow. the people from my school that are going to HBCU this year are not the brightest people. majority never took more than 1 AP class. the top 10% in HBCU would be considered average at schools like emory or any top 20 schools. when you have an environment where you are surrounded by more students who are higher achievers, it tends to rub off on you and make you desire to succeed even more. plus, emory is much more diverse with more international students thus making it easier to make connections over the world. im going to emory so im a little biased.</p>

<p>It is best to remain silent and let people think that you are ignorant than to speak and remove all doubt. ilkepizza, I cannot begin to say whether it is your ignorance or your arrogance is showing. </p>

<p>Maybe you have not been exposed to much, or perhaps you have a very myopic view of life but HBCUs are not filled with everybody from your school and it seems like the concept of attending Emory (as you haven’t taken a class yet) has not done a thing for you.</p>

<p>And no, I did not attend a HBCU or did my child.</p>

<p>i didnt say HBCU is all filled with people from my school. i said that those that chose to go there are not the brightest people out of the school</p>

<p>as for emory, yea i havent taken a class yet but i know a lot of people who have and are very glad they picked it</p>

<p>Collegedream9-you will be fine at either. What is more important is how well you do in college. You should go to the school that you think you will excel. </p>

<p>My niece is thriving at Spelman, but that was her #1 pick. My daughter plans to apply to Emory. She has visited over 20 schools, but she has a strong connection with Emory. I will encourage her to apply to both and see what she where she wants to go.</p>

<p>Good luck to you. You have two incredible schools and you can’t go wrong with either.</p>