SSAT bad scores

Also are there anyone who would like to read my essays…

@landscapeeveryday I’m so sorry you didn’t get the scores you were hoping for. I don’t mean to beat a dead horse, but I think it really might be time to consider mentally and emotionally pivoting away from any school that requires test scores. Today is January 15th. You still have time to add a test optional school or two through SAO. The hard reality is that your current scores might be dealbreakers at the test-required schools you have mentioned in your posts. I’m not saying you can’t go for the hail-mary approach by studying hard for the ISEE for February 10th. But if you were my kid, I would gently suggest that this might be an exercise in frustration and stress for a true shot in the dark chance of it all coming together. It sounds like you are a smart, capable student, and that you ended up with a 29 because standardized tests aren’t your strength. I would suggest to my own kid to move on. I would also reiterate my comments from before: I do NOT think this is bad news at all!! Honestly I am not confident that you would find the schools you’ve mentioned to be great fits for you. To be clear, this is not because you have done “anything wrong.” I just have had a kid at one of the intense schools on your list, and I firmly believe that the pool of students who are truly great fits there is much smaller than we might think. (Getting in means the admissions department believes you CAN manage their academic load; it does NOT mean you necessarily will be a great fit.) And the ability of those schools to deliver fantastic educations is not due to some exclusive formula they own – not even a little bit!
If BS is important to you, add some SAO schools today, or find some schools with January 31 or Feb 1 deadline and add them in the next week or two. I PROMISE that you can find amazing schools who do not care one bit about your SSAT snafu.
On the other hand, if this school application project is really more about the excitement of a big-name school giving you a seal of approval on March 10th, then of course that is a different animal altogether. In that case, amazing schools without the “big” name may not make sense. However, know that many students who are pursuing the validation of a name will not get it come March 10th. So just be prepared for that, and know that it does not mean you aren’t awesome!

@Sroo
Congratulations on your kid’s amazing scores! I can’t tell if you are being serious with your comments about the scores being “good enough” but IF you are sincerely asking that: I beg you to please NOT share any of that sentiment with your kid. A bright kid scores at the top of their game, above the average of the very “top” BS, and to hear from their parent doubt about it being “good enough” takes my breath away, and not in a good sense. (FWIW: my kid got into 10 of 12 schools, including “tippy tops” with an 80, so to answer your actual question, yes, 95 is “good enough” to send.)

6 Likes

If you do take ISEE make sure you understand the scoring differences between the two. The math is generally harder but the English less so.

yes thank you @Calliemomofgirls Thank you so much for your suggestion and everything… I would try to look through some other schools as well… Do you want to view my essay?

thank you - we told her we are super proud of her. She has never taken these types of tests before so the experience alone was worth it. I was seriously asking about the test optional schools as we do not want to hurt her chances and are only trying to do right by her as this is something she really wants. I think some of the schools scared us when they said they were looking for 96%. While I think the scores are probably worth sending, it was the writing that gave us more pause - not sure if the writing would negate the benefit. A few schools said we could call them with her scores if she took the test and they would advise. Will they just want them or advice in her best interest?If the writing were not fair I would send the scores.

@landscapeeveryday
I would be happy to read your essays.
However a big caveat – I really believe the power of the essays is rooted in digging into your life and knowing what you bring to the table and who you are in this world. The craft of the actually writing is icing on the cake, not the cake itself. You have already selected the ingredients and baked the cake, cooled it and frosted it I’m guessing since today is J15.
So – I am happy to take a peek, but I don’t think I will be able to help you much since the cake is (I hope?) already frosted. Feel free to DM me!

1 Like

@Sroo

I wonder if you mis heard - not even Groton (lowest acceptance rate) or Andover (most famous) would claim to be “looking for” 96% scores.

Are you talking about niche day schools?

2 Likes

@Pharmingturtles

I didn’t really reply to you, just to the thread. If you reply at the end of a thread it automatically replies to the previous response.

my writing piece was probably just as bad as yours
and yet most schools im applying to require it / strongly recommend it sooo

1 Like

Hi: I think the conversation has gone a bit sideways. Really I was wondering more about the sending the level scores to the optional schools given that the writing piece was not that strong.

1 Like

Send the scores to all and do not contact any admission committees for their advice. You run the risk of appearing as a problem, meddlesome parent. That, not the mid-90s SSAT and imperfect essay, would hurt your child’s chances.

6 Likes

You are asking the wrong question. The test is required…there is nothing more to tell the school.

The question you should be asking is “based on my score, am I applying to the right schools?” The answer might be “yes”, but it should be because the test score does not represent your capabilities for a specific reason. Be careful that you don’t end up somewhere that you will struggle for the next 4 years (or less).

1 Like

Could you please help me read my SSAT scores, mainly the percentile?

Percentiles
Total: 48th
Verbal: 60th
Quantitative: 19th
Reading: 70th

Did they finally do away with the antiquated gender percentiles?

3 Likes

I think they did.

19 :frowning:

What should I do?? Should I send it to the schools that need it today, and retake it for schools like BUA (if possibe)?

1 Like

That seems like it’s your only option. Don’t submit to any schools that are test optional.

1 Like

In what email format should I write to send the art supplements to the music director?

I’ve never had to do that so I’m not sure.

2 Likes