SSAT Timing - Should we wait to take the test to gain more school time?

Also, the best study guide for my DS was the one provided by the SSAT. All the questions are from past tests, and they mimic the test situation which is nice. For $135 there are thousands of questions, 4-5 full-length and section tests… it really prepares you and can hone in on exactly what you need, as it tells you exactly where your weakness is. It’s genius. Also (I’ll way it again): PREP for the written part of the test, as that’s the most important section all schools look at b/c it’s the only writing of yours they see that has not been edited by an adult! So be aware of that! Good luck!!

5 Likes

I’m applying as a repeat 9th grader this year and I’m taking it in December bc I want more revision time. Of course, it’s different for everyone, but I’m not as confident in my abilities and I want as much time as possible to revise. If your son is confident that he has all the necessary skills down, and the practice tests have high results- then you could take it early to make time for other parts of the application

1 Like

That’s a bad strategy. Rather, take it earlier and then use the results to determine whether “revision” is even needed. Also, it gives you some wiggle room in case life happens - illness, blizzard, etc.

5 Likes

I agree. There is no downside to taking the test early (or often). If you take the test early, you can see what you need to work on (if anything). Also, most schools super score. You have complete control over the scores that are submitted.

2 Likes

I’m only allowed to take it once because my family situation can’t afford it, and I had to get a fee waiver. I remember I’m only allowed 1 fee waiver per admissions cycle?
I already took it once last year so I’m familiar with the test and my weaknesses and strengths.

I’d agree if my family’s financial situation could afford to take it twice. I also took it last year already too so I’m familiar with the test and I the parts I’d need to work on

Generally speaking if you can find print resources that support SSAT, ISEE, or SAT they can help you study. Many libraries carry these. The online SSAT sources are good and not very expensive. You can have some not perfect but still useful online test experience by practicing SAT tests at Khan Academy.

1 Like

I do have SSAT books and I did get a fee waiver for the SSAT, which means I got free resources. I’m just choosing a late time because we’re only allowed 1 waiver per year, and I’m using it on a december test.

1 Like

Hi, for anyone who score high on the ssat, what quizlet flashcards did you use? thanks