St Anselm, Endicott or Salve Regina?

Does anyone have some feedback on Endicott, St. Anselm and Salve Regina? My daughter is trying to decide where to attend for nursing. Thanks for your help!

Salve is a great nursing school. Beautiful campus and Newport is fantastic. Formerly all women. Now coed. Decent sports and good access to Providence and Boston. Summer employment opportunities galore.

St A’s. It’s a solid school. Manchester, extended, has less to offer than RI for a young person imho. Not sure of the nursing program but it’s a solid school and has a good alumni network.

Endicott has a lot too offer and access to Boston medical opportunities.

My choices if all things were equal, would be in the order presented.

Nursing school is a lot of work and Salve is pretty serious on the school work side of things.

I’ve not attended any of these schools.

But , I’ve known many graduates and recent students - of all three. Lived in Bedford nh previously and reside in RI currently.

I’ve heard good things about Saint Anselm’s nursing program.

If by any chance your daughter would like to add further variety, consider Fairfield.

In terms of overall academic environment, I’d probably give St. A’s extra consideration for its inclusion in a national category by U.S. News. The breadth of academic offerings across some of the more interesting liberal arts that this categorization indicates would enhance your daughter’s choices when selecting classes outside of those required for nursing.

Salve is a hidden gem, in my opinion. DS was accepted EA, and it’s still very high on his list despite acceptances from other schools we thought would knock it out of the running. My understanding is that the nursing program is top notch, and the overall quality of life in terms of campus, local environment, etc. is excellent. Salve was also ranked very well in the Georgetown ROI data that was released recently.

I have spent time at all three schools and all three are very nice. Endicott and Salve Regina are by the water which is lovely. Salve Regina is in Newport which I imagine would be a great place to live. When I was at St. A’s the kids were great. I feel as if Endicott has surged in popularity recently.

You can’t go wrong. Sorry I’m not more help.

One note of caution regarding Salve Regina, it appears to register one of the lowest admission yields in the country. Of female applicants accepted in a recent year, only 13% attended.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=Salve+regina&s=all&id=217536#admsns

I can’t speak to nursing, but I agree that Salve Regina is a hidden gem. Beautiful campus with an interesting mix of old and new buildings. We toured over the summer and I liked the easy going vibe of the admissions presentation. I wish DS loved it as much as I did. Not sporty enough for him unfortunately.

Funny, my daughter applied to Salve and Endicott and is kicking herself for not applying to St. A’s. I think Salve is solid. They have a great track record for nursing, the nursing facilities are really nice (we visited, the nursing stuff is in a modern building with water views out of every window) and they also have good academic support - by that I mean that they have student tutors available in the library pretty much all the time and my understanding is that the nursing majors make good use of that. So I think it’s a place where you’re going to succeed. That said, my daughter didn’t love the campus. She thought it was spread out and seemed kind of dead. She also worried that while Newport is a great place to be in the summer, it might be a ghost town during the school year. It is gorgeous though. She got into Salve with a decent merit scholarship.

We haven’t heard yet from Endicott. I have heard mixed reviews. My understanding is that the campus is beautiful but it’s overpriced and not particularly generous with merit money. Not sure about the reputation of the program but published NCLEX rates look good. So she applied but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

Everyone I know that has gone to St. A’s (and I actually know several people, including a couple of my cousins) has loved it. Their nursing program has a great reputation and they seem to have a lot of school spirit for a small school in NH. My daughter held back on applying because we do have cousins that were at St. A’s and I think she had this idea that she wanted to blaze her own trail and not go somewhere that felt like it “belonged” to other family members. But now she’s bummed that she didn’t apply.

My daughter applied to Emmanuel in Boston and we’re waiting to hear from them. It’s a small school but located right in the Longwood Medical area. Beth Israel, Brigham & Women’s and Boston Children’s Hospital are right around the corner. It’s a bit of a risk in that their 4 year nursing program is brand new, the first class started this year. Previously, they just had RN to BSN and master’s programs. But that meant that they had established clinical relationships. The opportunities in the area alone might be worth the risk.

@Deepbreaths: Should your daughter want further options, I think the application deadlines for schools such as St. Anselm and Fairfield have yet to occur.

@merc81 , not for nursing. St. Anselm requires nursing students to apply EA or ED and both of those deadlines have passed. She did apply to Fairfield but got deferred from EA to regular decision.

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. It can be hard to find reliable info on smaller schools like these. Fortunately, my daughter was accepted to all with merit so the price will be comparable across the three. I really liked Fairfield and Sacred Heart, too, but she just wasn’t into those schools. Idk why.

@eileenoli Congrats to her! Is she leaning towards one at this point? DS is headed to accepted students day in Feb at Salve for the major he applied for, so he will get to see it in the dead of winter. I’d be happy to report back afterwards. His 2 other visits were on gorgeous fall days, so the contrast will be important. The campus was bustling, as was Newport.

Even though he’s been accepted to some more competitive schools, he’s still very interested in Salve. He won’t be able to make a decision until he hears from 4 more schools and gets all of the financial aid packages. Since our state flagship doesn’t announce until March 1, it’s going to be a long winter, lol.

Thank you @CTCape! Today, she is leaning towards Endicott, but it changes. We’re going to go up to visit St. Anselm and Endicott again in a couple of weeks, and then we’ll decide if we are going up to visit at Salve again. We’re still waiting on one state school, too. They are vague on dates so I hope she’ll hear soon but it could be a while. The wait is killer!

@Deepbreaths Our DD’s seem so similar! Mine applied EA to Nursing programs at UNH, UVM, Endicott, Sacred Heart, Towson and JMU. I’ve heard Endicott releases decisions today, but I’m not sure of the format. Do you know?

So far, she’s in at Towson (Nursing) and Emmanuel (regular, they advise in Feb re: Nursing), UNH (Alt major - Pysch) and was deferred to RD at JMU and UVM. Nothing from Sacred Heart as of yet.

This is all so stressful!!!

@MortgageMamma Best of luck to your daughter as she awaits decisions from Endicott and Sacred Heart and final decisions from Emmanuel, JMU, and UVM. As you undoubtedly know, JMU and Towson are not direct entry programs. If she is admitted to nursing at one or more of the other schools (the rest are direct entry), she should seriously consider one of them to avoid the stress of having to compete later for admission to the nursing program.

@MortgageMamma sorry, I didn’t see this until just now! I assume that you’ve heard from Sacred Heart and Endicott by now. My daughter didn’t apply to Sacred Heart but a friend of hers got in. We did receive the acceptance to Endicott but the merit money was disappointing. So that was scratched off the list immediately. Emmanuel and UMaine are the only reasonable direct entry programs at this point (though she’d say she isn’t going to UMaine - it’s our in state school). UTampa is not direct entry but has lower costs than most private options with the merit money. And I had her apply to UNM which is also not direct entry but awards scholarships to out of state students with certain GPAs and test scores so they get in state tuition…and in state tuition is CHEAP there.