St. Lawrence University (NY) Social Scene question

D25 is looking at SLACs on east coast. She has 3.7UW GPA. Rigorous course load. Will likely go test optional route. Strong ECs. We have visit a few SLACs closer to our home in NJ. From those visits we can pretty safely say she prefers between 2,000 and 5,000 for student body. Small class size is priority. She wants to study psychology/neuroscience. We have a pretty long visit list along I95 for visits. She is more of an introvert but she is a social kid. She enjoys being with her friends, movies, bowling, coffee out, pick-up sports, etc. She does not love loud crowded spaces. At this time she is on medication that makes alcohol a serious no. On paper St. Lawrence looks like potential match and from what I have researched it is a good school. She loves the idea of it. This would be the only school we would look at in that area so it will be a specific long trip to visit. I am looking for parents of current students or really recent alums to tell me more about the drinking scene. My fear is the winter will be cold and long. If everyone is hanging out in dorms drinking it will not be a good fit for her. If they are out and about at events that don’t revolve around drinking it will be very worth our taking the time to visit. I know the weather is a serious factor. She has not lived in those climates but we do spend a lot of time in Northern VT so it is not totally foreign to her. If we visit we will do in winter for a dose of reality. Any feedback appreciated. Thank you!

Definitely not the school for your daughter based on the information shared in your post regarding being a non-drinker, introvert.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.