Stanford Admissions for Applicants Fall 2022

I find it strange that people are trying to do this registration thing. Stanford can exactly see who you are because you are entering all your personal information on that page.

You have waited this long, what’s another 4 days? Just my 2 cents.

13 Likes

You are right. Let’s not do this.

1 Like

I agree that we should not actually create a net ID in the system. But we can still try to see if ppl will get the “You’ve been sponsored for a SUNet ID” message when using the registration code button.

Is there anyone who has used the registration code button and has not gotten the “you’ve been sponsored for a SUNet ID” message? That will be telling.

1 Like

You’re right. I got a little caught up in the hype, will delete the previous message when I can

1 Like

Does anyone else have the “You need to wait 10 minutes between posts in this thread” thing on here that’s new?

1 Like

I have that. Thought it was from me “commenting too much” or something. Funny. Now I can’t say anything for another 10 minutes…dumb.

The thread is in “slow mode” I guess, as I tried to hit reply on this and that’s what it says.

1 Like

Ah got it thanks! I thought the same but I hadn’t posted on the Stanford one before so I wasn’t sure

My strong recommendation to students is to avoid any exploit of any college admissions website particularly one where you actively do something outside of the norm of passively checking your portal. In particular do not try to access areas not intended for applicants. You could find yourself in the position of having a preliminary acceptance rescinded, as many have before. Schools take this very seriously.

Friday is only 4 days away.

6 Likes

That’s sound advice, but I never actually went and tried to generate a SUNet ID for myself. Sent it in this thread and then I wasn’t able to access my computer, and I came back to people saying it could be classified as portal hacking. I almost did though.

It probably depends on the school. People did the same type of thing in UNC early action, and it rang true. But they’re a large public school (so I’d imagine it’s much harder to regulate) and obviously that doesn’t make it right.

I just consider this a game and like looking for clues, but there is a line between what I can access and what I cannot, most certainly.

A good way to possibly verify the SUNet ID theory (although, I suppose this is not necessary because we established it’s a bad idea :smiley:) is to see if anyone who was admitted REA can clarify if the ID they received in their letter of admission is different than the apply Stanford pdf.

I agree we should be cautious when accessing certain part of the application, but it seems like those cases are genuine hacking that looks up the actual admissions files. But this is simply plugging in information on public website, so I think this is fundamentally different from those actual hacking attempts (step by step url change thing, according to the reading).

1 Like

So when we went to the PDF the other day….was that bad too?

Sorry, I didn’t mean you in particular; just wanted to warn people to be cautious in general. To a 17 year old anxious over results it can seem innocent and harmless - after all, it is the college’s own fault for allowing it to be so easily hacked - but it is supremely embarrassing for the admissions dept and IT administration when an error occurs, and any active attempts to circumvent the announcement day might be handled harshly.

1 Like

No, in my opinion that’s perfectly fine. It’s not hacking or malicious (though such a definition is up to interpretation). Based on the articles I have been reading, nothing that has gone on here in the past few days is to the extent of what other people have done. I’m not saying that makes it right, but I don’t think it is grounds for being rescinded.

But aren’t you able to make a PDF of every application or on every portal site ?

As long as no attempt is made to access any part of Stanford’s records or systems aside from the applicant portal, it is likely fine. Attempting logins into systems that are not part of the applicant portal is likely something applicants should avoid. Friday will be here soon.

Talking about this link….can’t everyone access this ? Visit that link - apply.stanford.edu/apply/download.pdf

I’m not suggesting anyone try this—but is there anyone who already tried this using the “Registration Code” button and did not see “you’ve been sponsored”?

It says you’ve been sponsored even if u just enter one digit. Any id works. This is not an indication of acceptance/rejection.

I did not try this.