Stanford Early Action for Fall 2024 Admission

Wondering the same thing. The website just says “by Dec. 15.” That’s a fast turnaround for 1000s of applications. Yikes.

2 Likes

They’ve hit their date for as long as I’ve been monitoring Stanford screa acceptances (2016) :smiley:

They usually sent updates on their social media accounts. Not sure if that’s still the case.

2 Likes

Any news about how many REA apps they received?

1 Like

How do they pick whom to interview? So nervous.

1 Like

The interviews depend on whether or not they have alumni in your area who can do the interviews. Admissions says that getting an interview or not getting one is not a sign of anything.

My s got the interview offer last week and it was canceled by the interviewer. After that, he didn’t hear anything . Any idea whether they are still sending out the invite?

1 Like

FWIW, offspring was not interviewed last year but was admitted. We are in a region that probably had huge demand so I imagine they may not had enough resources.

3 Likes

Definitely not. The interviewers said that November 15th was the deadline for all REA interviews this year.

1 Like

Our interview was scheduled about 5 days after the applications were sent in and of the 16 or so who applied from the high school ours was the only interview. Clearly randomly selected or maybe from some auto input. Nobody would read an app that fast and choose one. I cannot imagine it gives any real advantage. Probably doesn’t hurt absent answering “why Stanford” as you love Berkeley. All it did was cause a bunch of stress to the other applicants who were not asked.

1 Like

Stanford Interviewer here. Let me tell you no one should be stressed about not getting an interview. Interviewers are volunteer alums. I get a list of say 5 kids who are within a certain radius from my home, a distance that I have selected when I applied for this program. I choose whom to interview based on things like:

1. How far is a student from my home and can I travel that distance? Though I have determined the radius things change. Maybe my kid gets sick, or my car is at the shop.
  2. How much free time I have that week to interview the kid and then write a report to Stanford?
  3. Do I know the kid, his or her family? (if I do, I CANNOT interview them and I don’t even mention to them that they were on my list to begin with).
    Nobody gets penalized for not having had an interview, and interviewers have no influence on the admission process unless something disqualifying is said, such as “I want to go to Stanford so I can beat up the mascot because I hate trees!” ( lol ) or the kid says his parents wrote the entire application.
    The interview is optional. Only a few are interviewed because interviews are dependent upon availability of alums. It has nothing to do with the quality of a student’s application.
2 Likes

You forget that REA applicants might have sent their applications soon after they were made available. They have been rolling in for a while. Either way, it’s a fast turn around, but universities, in general, have it down to a science now!

it is still the case!

That is highly unusual! Maybe something life altering happened to the interviewer. The deadline has passed, but it will not affect how your kid is evaluated by admission officers.

see my answer below. It has nothing to do with the quality of a student’s application.

Thanks so much for the background. It’s really reassuring.

Not sure if this info helps, but my son was admitted REA last year. He found out on December 16 at 5 p.m. MST.

3 Likes

Do you know if Stanford readily accepts dual enrollment credit from local colleges? Trying to figure given the high cost of attendance, if my daughter’s credits will help shave off a year of college!

Your daughter might receive some credit, depending on the classes, but almost certainly not enough to shave off an entire year.

Basic details are at Eligibility & Transfer Credit : Stanford University - “It is substantially similar to courses offered at Stanford” is generally the thing that keeps individual classes from being counted. (Another page also points out that the credits can’t have been used for HS credit.) Note that while that page says that up to 90 credits will be accepted, that’s for transfer students - incoming freshmen can have up to 45 credits from AP/IB/DE/etc., and generally it’s a good deal less than that.

Good luck to your daughter! If she has the good fortune to be admitted, she might appreciate a fourth year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And if the cost is really burdensome to your family, then Stanford should be able to meet that need with financial aid to make it viable to stay for 4 years. Usually financial aid is designed to cover 4 years (assuming the student keeps in good standing academically).

3 Likes

Stanford gave my older daughter credit both for a class she took during high school at UW Seattle (but over the summer, not through dual enrollment) as well as some AP credits. All of that counted toward the 45 unit ceiling, as would anything taken outside Stanford while enrolled (e.g., a summer language intensive at Middlebury.) She still had to hit her distribution requirements and her major/minor requirements, though, and courses taken away from Stanford rarely qualify for that (though they can place a student into a higher level of language or math.)

1 Like