Stanford Full Pay vs Full Ride+ at Wake Forest

@Happytimes2001 acceptance rates versus applicant pool are different things. If 10 Rhode Scholars apply for 5 spots, is it less selective than 3 spots for 10 applicants of lower credentials?

Look at who attends, not how many apply.

And the a+ student versus B+ student comparison isn’t true at all. Unless you agree the A+ student in the same major at directional state u is clearly superior to the Stanford student with the B+. Context matters and again, I believe you know this as well.

And yes, Auburn is not as elite as Stanford by any measure. And I am sure Tim Cook, Auburn grad, is very happy to hire a few Stanford grads to work for him. Fortunately he overcame his adversity and the obvious roadblocks from missing the Stanford boat in life. So instead of Paris, ask your question at Apple and change the school to Auburn.

As quoted from a highly respected fellow poster - “this toxic elitism is why people hate CC”. Hear hear.

Not just toxic elitism, but ignorant as well. The good news is, this provincial hyper focus on a few schools allows more to benefit at the many extraordinary opportunities elsewhere. And I never worried what some random street worker in Paris thought about college choices-after all, most Americans probably have heard of the Sorbonne, but not the much better schools in Paris. Street knowledge is overrated.

Jeff Williams, Apple’s COO, seems to be “making huge things happen,” @happytimes2001, despite having attended NC State. And although he no doubt had many choices, he sent his own son to Elon, in NC. He seems to think it was an excellent education and hires plenty from there.

1 Like

What major is your son?
Would he get the value out of Stanford? Would he want to start a business or whatever?

Or would he get value out of WF? Being closer to professors and having all the perks of a Stamp Scholar?

I have a friend whose son went to Stanford. After sophomore year, he took at year off and tried to develop a software app (that his parents funded). I am not sure it went anywhere, but he took that opportunity. He then went back to school at Stanford. But I know my kids would never do such at thing.

1 Like

@bopper and for others to avoid having to re-read so many posts. OPs son is undecided and he wishes he could tell us his plans or goals himself.

@scout59 Stanford has 7,000 undergrad to Wakes 5,000. Not a huge difference population-wise in my opinion. OP please let us know what your child decides. It’s such an interesting dilemma.

As far as the ultimate outcome, it is highly likely that OP"s son will enroll at Stanford. The prestige & opportunities & contacts are too hard to pass up for a family for which COA is not an issue.

Probably would be the same result if the super elite school was Harvard or Princeton rather than Stanford.

@Publisher You’re probably right. Tough to say no.

Although the op is not completely financially agnostic.

He has another student on the way to school soon enough. And no way to FA or merit based on his income and input regarding d’s goals. And possibly half of the need already saved for both.

Unless all retirement savings and extra stuff goes away for four years.and maybe not even then. 200k is 50k a year for the next four years. I don’t see it. But not my check to write. I do know that 300k is more like 150k after taxes medical insurance, property taxes, ss tax. Then the mortgage. Perhaps a car or two or three. Gas insurance and dance lessons etc. clothing and food. There’s not nearly enough time to get to the level needed. It will be loans for son one in year four or daughter two.

Even if she chooses and In state public.

Like most decisions made in the heat of the moment. Like comparing a handsome and famous suitor over the practical and pretty good looking husband . The financial outcome is generally revealed much later. And the suitor turns out to be just another guy. lol.

I like to think that my elite education has provided me, at least, with more perspective and understanding of the many choices and benefits available everywhere-that an elite education is most certainly not limited to a handful of schools, and much more a function of the student and what s/he puts into the educational experience. But I did live in some cities where people judged one another primarily by educational pedigree, so I understand your perspective. In other cities residents may use wealth, or beauty, or whatever, as a means to classify people. Fortunately, in my experience, that is becoming less common.
In any event, OP has some great options, and all the best to him. Signing off…

In Asia there are an Ivy Balls (just google) hosted by Ivies. They do invite some schools, but they are limited to few seats. I know it may be silly to some, but a lot of business connections are made there.
My brother recently was interviewing for a club (one of the oldest, less than 500, yada yada) and they asked him where he went to school and where he lived. They didn’t ask him where he worked. Not everyone’s cup of tea… :slight_smile:

As a Wake grad, go to Stanford. Why?

1. Rank/reputation. 2. Location. 3. Diversity, openness, more liberal. 4. Resume for job or grad school. 5. Athletics. Any idea what it’s like as a wake football or b-ball fan?

We are facing a similar dilemma. D got offered a Stamps Scholarship to Ole Miss. Has been recruited at a level by people at Ole Miss that I cannot even fathom. She got into Stanford on Friday night and threw our lives into chaos. For the rest of the readers of this forum, I thinks its helpful to set up exactly what the Stamps offer consists of. Its full costs of attendance plus. It includes 1) 4 years tuition; 2) Room/Board/Food 3) $600./semester for books. 4) $2500 a year to travel home. 5) $3000 budget for computer & printer. 6) Increased tuition etc. for study abroad year is covered. 7) $12,000 for enrichment/travel. 8) Bi-annual meetings where you network with other Stamps Scholars. I had no idea this type of scholarship even existed before she was asked to interview.

Ole Miss programs lineup almost perfectly with my daughters interests. She wants to triple major is business, international relations and Mandarin. She has been admitted to the Croft Institute of International Studies (limited to 60 kids/year), Barksdale Honors College & Flagship Mandarin program. Yes I realize that Stanford is Stanford and arguably the best school in the country. Yes I know Ole Miss is in yucky Mississippi and is ranked around 150th in national rankings.

We are awaiting aid letter from Stanford but assume we will get a big fat $0. We could swing Stanford but it would hurt … alot. Basically, if my daughter goes to Ole Miss I can payoff my mortgage at age 51. if she goes to Stanford, I might have to borrow against my home equity for the junior and senior year. I am also scared to screw my son over who is 2 years younger than my daughter.

We are committed to letting this play out through April. 1) I’ve asked my daughter to come up with a game plan at Stanford as to what she wants to study. Her initial response of “International Relations” was a little to vague for me. 2) We are going to the local admitted students reception this weekend and I’m sending her to the Stanford weekend April 25-27. 3) A few months ago, we had a nice discussion about the real world implications of her decision. If she goes to Ole Miss, I’m gonna replace her car. If she needs $ for sorority dues, Spring Break etc … I’m happy to pay. If she goes to Stanford, there is no new car or $ for travel abroad. 4) I’m doing my own legwork talking to a few friends who have kids there now. I am very worried that my daughter will feel like she is the dumbest kid at Stanford. 5) My initial thoughts are than my daughter will be incredibly marketable with a degree from both schools. I concede that there is a small group of elite/desirable jobs that she “might” be able to get from Stanford that she would not have access to at Ole Miss. I am trying to quantify if that increase in opportunity is worth $320,000 or a $500,000 swing to my net worth. I’m also trying to figure out if my daughter has any interest in management consulting or venture capital etc.

Please feel free to message me if you want to commiserate offline.

1. @houstonken She might get that "access’ But will she have the Stamps scholar opportunities at Stanford?

Will she be one of many or one of the special?

@HoustonKen: Unless Stanford offers a major not offered at Ole Miss, then I see your situation as very different from that of the OP since finances are a major concern for you & your family.

Thanks for sharing the details of the Ole Miss Stamps Scholarship as Stamps varies greatly by school.

@HOutonken Congratulations to your daughter but be careful when using the word “yucky”

@bopper She clearly will have amazing opportunities at Stanford. The Stamps Scholar opportunities through Ole Miss will also be amazing. If Ole Miss had just offered her the $ without the Stamps Foundation opportunities … The lever would definitely swing harder to Stanford. The Stamps Foundation is clearly trying to created a generation of leaders and wants their kids to apply/receive prestigious fellowships. My daughter “could” do something like that at Ole Miss. I doubt she would do something like that at Stanford. I definitely would prefer that she be a Big Fish in the smaller pond, but I owe it to my daughter to let her take her victory lap and work through her own thoughts.

@got2laugh I had no intention of criticizing Mississippi. I love Ole Miss & what it has offered my daughter. Someone referred to Mississippi by the adjective to me and I just repeated it with out thinking. I just didn’t want someone to say “Go to Stanford because the weather is better.”

@Publisher Our family’s income and college savings totals are not that far off from OP. My financial concerns might have been more forcefully illustrated but in my mind the angst and difficulty in the decision is pretty dang similar. Stanford vs Free Ride+ at less prestigious university

To attend Stanford, the student has to get accepted at 4% admit rate, the parents have to be able/willing/ready to pay. The whole process is a reflection of whom the students and parents are.

If finances are not a concern, then Stanford offers tremendous opportunities found at only a handful of universities in the US.

Really comes down to the big fish in a small pond versus…