Stanford REA is so confusing

From my understanding, rea meant you could only also apply to state schools ea, not privates, but recently I’ve seen people from both stanford’s rea, and also yale’s rea, apply to other privates like USC ea. my top two schools are stanford and USC, and i wanted to apply to stanford rea, but i wasn’t going to because i thought that meant i couldn’t apply to USC ea. can someone please explain to me how this works because i am actually so confused. thank you!

Seems pretty clear.

If you apply REA to Stanford, you can apply to public schools EA and to the military academies. Privates - you can only apply RD.

So either you’re mishearing - or others are breaking the rules. Neither would surprise.

But if you want to apply to USC early, you can’t apply to Stanford early.

You might ask Stanford, what sort of bump does REA get. At Brown, for example, they say all students are reviewed similarly. I don’t see anything on their website or in CDS.

Good luck.

1 Like

So i found out that apparently, stanford allows you to also apply to schools that have ea deadlines to be considered for scholarships, which applies to usc

1 Like

Yes, that’s on their exceptions - so for an Emory, for example, this would apply:

• any college/university with an early deadline for a scholarship or special academic program, as long as:
    1. the decision is non-binding; and
    2. in order to be considered for the scholarship or program, the student must apply in the early round or by an early deadline.

Stanford REA is explained at Regular Decision and Restrictive Early Action : Stanford University

In the past, there was a provision for applying to other schools with early deadlines for scholarships, and USC at the time fit into that loophole. But that provision is no longer present in Stanford REA, and USC now calls its early deadline for scholarships EA: https://admission.usc.edu/apply/dates-deadlines/

The early application options vary between universities, so it’s important to review each school’s policies. Stanford and Yale’s REA programs allow applicants to apply early to other private universities like USC. Consult each university’s guidelines and contact admissions offices for specific questions or concerns about application options and restrictions.

Actually, it is

It is Stanford policy that you may simultaneously apply to Stanford with a decision plan of Restrictive Early Action and to the following:

any college/university with an early deadline for a scholarship or special academic program, as long as: the decision is non-binding; and
in order to be considered for the scholarship or program, the student must apply in the early round or by an early deadline.

And then they give this piece of advice if anything is unclear:

If after reviewing the exceptions above you are still uncertain about whether you can simultaneously apply to Stanford Restrictive Early Action and another college/university, please email admission@stanford.edu for clarification.

5 Likes

OP, are you confused just about USC, or about Stanford’s policy and other college applications?

I believe Stanford lays out the exceptions pretty clearly. All exceptions need to be non-binding.

Stanford’s Exceptions

It is Stanford policy that you may simultaneously apply to Stanford with a decision plan of Restrictive Early Action and to the following:

• any public college/university with a non-binding early application plan or early application deadline.
  • any college/university with a non-binding rolling admission process.
  • any foreign college/university with a non-binding application plan on any schedule.
  • any military academy.
  • any college/university with an early deadline for a scholarship or special academic program, as long as:
    ** 1. the decision is non-binding; and**
    ** 2. in order to be considered for the scholarship or program, the student must apply in the early round or by an early deadline.**

USC’s EA is non-binding and students must apply EA in order to be considered for a merit scholarship. USC’s EA (for non portfolio applicants) fits the last criteria of Stanford exceptions. If you are unsure, email Stanford at the email listed in the above post.

Early Action (EA) is non-binding, non-restrictive, and is not available for majors requiring a portfolio or audition. Students must apply EA in order to be considered for [USC Merit Scholarships](https://admission.usc.edu/apply/scholarships/), unless their intended major does not participate in Early Action.

Questions then become:

1. Is this exception ( * any college/university with an early deadline for a scholarship or special academic program, as long as:
    ** 1. the decision is non-binding; and**
    ** 2. in order to be considered for the scholarship or program, the student must apply in the early round or by an early deadline.**) true for any other REA/SCEA schools?

2. Does this exception apply to any other highly rejective schools other than USC? Or is this basically “the USC exception?”

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? USC’s EA program started with last year’s admission cycle. My personal opinion is that USC made sure that their program fit into Stanford’s exceptions.

Oh I have zero doubt that USC is making every effort to fit into the exception!

Still wondering whether other REA/SCEA schools grant this exception, and whether schools other than USC similarly fit the exception…

2 Likes

Cal Tech has a similar REA exception. Caltech Restrictive Early Action: Frequently Asked Questions | Undergraduate Admissions

In the past, USC was the top school that required an early application prior to their RD deadline for scholarship consideration. EA was new this past cycle. If there are others that fit the exceptions, then they fit the exception. It’s not a trick question.

But again, Stanford gives direction in what to do if unsure:

1 Like

Easy enough to check, as there aren’t many REA/SCEA schools: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Cal Tech, Georgetown, Notre Dame.

Any private school with a scholarship deadline requiring an EA app would qualify…U Miami also has some, I expect there are others but I don’t know of an up-to-date, accurate list.

Many private schools have early deadlines for scholarships, BUT the app is submitted for Regular Decision…of course this is allowed as well.

Under the early application process, there are different variations such as Restrictive Early Action (REA) and Early Action (EA). REA typically restricts applicants from applying to other private schools early, but it may still allow applying to public schools or universities with non-binding early programs. However, policies can vary among different colleges, so it’s important to carefully review the specific requirements and guidelines of each institution. In your case, you can apply to Stanford under REA and still have the possibility to apply to USC under their Early Action program. Make sure to check the official websites of both schools for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.