Statements / Application Essays

<p>Please help! This is a question in regard to the statements / essays required for the UW-Madison essay. There are currently two essay prompts on the application, and I was wondering if I could get some insight on a dispute that has come up between two of my teachers.</p>

<p>The first prompt is a general "how will you enrich our community" type of question, which I already finished. But the second one is stated as such, </p>

<p>"If there is additional information you would like us to consider in reviewing your application, please share this with us as well. This is your opportunity to tell us things about yourself that have not been asked elsewhere if you believe they will help us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, and test scores."</p>

<p>One teacher thinks it would be foolish not to respond to the second prompt, otherwise a prospective student would come off as apathetic and lazy because they don't want to do the extra work. The other thinks that it is ok not to respond, because the applicant may not have any additional information. I fall in the to latter category because I just don't have anything else I want to say. </p>

<p>My question is, will it hurt my chances of being accepted if I don't respond to the second one?</p>

<p>Thanks to all who reply!</p>

<p>Undergraduate</a> Admissions at UW-Madison: Application statements tip sheet **Write on Both Topics:* There are two statements. Write on both. Those who do not are less likely to be admitted.*</p>

<p>It can't hurt you to answer the second one, so why not? According to that link though, yes, it will hurt you to not answer it. You always have something to share, you just might have to think about it.</p>

<p>Is it possible to not answer it and get in? Yeah, of course. I didn't answer it, my friend didn't answer it, and we got in, and I'll bet many others had the same situation. I think it's slightly risky to not answer it, especially if you think you'd be on the edge of admittance, and I know I regretted not answering it after I submitted my application.</p>

<p>So my suggestion is to go for it. Like it said, it's not just to explain a bad grade/semester, your test scores, etc. Think about it for a while. I'm certain you'll find something to write about.</p>

<p>how long are they supposed to be? full essay or paragraph? please answer as soon as possible, I want to get them done today. thanks</p>

<p>Both should be more than a paragraph - this is your chance to to sell yourself to the admissions counselor. I think the essay on how you will enrich the community should be longer than the other one. Maybe a full single spaced page for one, a couple of paragraphs for the other?</p>

<p>thanks for the response, do you think its a bad idea to expand on the most important activities question in the additional info one? because i dont feel they really understood what the activity was in the 150 words i wrote</p>