Strategies for Bama to consider

<p>I agree that UA should first begin with strict enforcement of its policies surrounding the rushing and pledging process and also require that all GLOs participate in a rush process with a definite start and end date. No longer should GLOs be able to promise bids to high school sophomores and requiring new members to attend events as pledges before the official pledge period begins.</p>

<p>I’d also support 3rd party monitoring of the member selection process. The 3rd party does not need to be there for rituals, but should be there when during the selection process when there is a quorum.</p>

<p>Also, Greek Affairs should not be investigating allegations of impropriety in GLOs. UA should hire an OOS private detective firm for that.</p>

<p>The idea of hiding the names, hometowns, and high schools of PNMs is a great idea. </p>

<p>As for penalties for non-integration, I would be interested to see UA charge market rates for the land on which the organizations’ houses sit and require that 20-50% of all donations, along with a noncompliance surcharge of 20.5% of the rent, be denoted to charities from a predetermined list which meet or exceed UA’s nondiscrimination policy for employment and charitable purposes. This prevents the donations from going to charities which discriminate based on race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, etc.</p>

<p>“Dismantle the Machine”</p>

<p>Yes! That would change everything! Seriously.</p>

<p>Not sure if this would address this particular issue, but this might make the process a lot less stressful and actually give the current and prospective members a chance to really learn about the groups they are trying to join and the members they are trying to recruit. Perhaps a formal recruitment period for fraternities as well? </p>

<p>Why does UVA have a deferred recruitment system?</p>

<p>The University encourages “the first-year experience” and believes first-year students need time to adjust to college life without the time commitment of joining the organizations in their first semester. It is important for first-year students to focus on academic achievement, making friends, getting settled into college life, and to begin to make decisions about what types of student organizations they will want to become involved in while at the University.</p>