Struggling with the "Why this school" essay when he hasn't visited yet

My son is applying to both Purdue and SMU and they both have essays that ask essentially “why do you want to go here.” We live far from both of these schools and would only visit if he gets accepted. Of course he’s been on the website, read student reviews and looked through the common data set. He likes what he’s seen so far, but honestly he could never be completely sold until after he visits. So, how does one write a convincing essay when you aren’t 100% convinced yourself…

1 Like

I don’t think the “why us”essays need to be “I definitely want to go here.” Your student should write about what they found appealing enough to apply, and how they see themselves being a fit.

2 Likes

Scour the website. What does the school have that interests him? What clubs? What does he like about the school his major is housed in? What does he think is different about that school vs. others he has been interested in? Does the school have any signature programs?

Look to see if they have You Tube channels or webinars about programs offered at the schools? Has he looked into his major and possibly professors who are doing research in an area that interests him?

ETA:

Purdue has a virtual admissions session on October 19. He might register for that.

SMU offers quite a bit of virtual information. They have several videos of academic info sessions. He should be able to find some info there. Virtual connections.

yeah he wanted to go to that Purdue virtual session but we’re on pacific time and it’s right smack in the middle of his water polo league tournament game… maybe they will record it

He might email his admissions counselor, explain his timing conflict and ask if there is another date planned or if it will be recorded. It looks like Taylor Patterson is the So Cal regional rep.

3 Likes

thanks!

Some post admission sessions on line.

My daughter had to write a lot at schools she didn’t visit.

She tied it to the robust Jewish life at some of them as it was lacking where she grew up.

At W&L, it was her love of tea and their Japanese tea room.

You can find thing - whatever appeals to your student. It may be a professor, research, class. At Emory, it might be the Coke Bottle quad.

The student will find something.

What you don’t want is the statement that applies to every school. So do your homework.

3 Likes

Another good source to get an idea of what is important to students on campus is to read the student paper.

5 Likes

OP: Why is your son applying to Purdue and why is your son applying to SMU ?

There must be a reason or reasons for targeting these two schools which are quite different at first glance.

1 Like

My D23 wrote a number of these essays for schools she had not yet visited. Between researching the websites, doing virtual sessions and tours, and reading the student newspaper and social media accounts, she found plenty to write about. Usually, a sense of mission came through from these sources that she could latch onto – so for some, it was a mission of civic engagement that connected the classroom to the community in various ways. For others, there was a distinctive emphasis on building campus community through special rituals and traditions. Some expressed their identities (i.e., “LAC in a city”) in ways that she could relate to her own goals and background. If you find what the college values about itself and then relate it to your own priorities and experiences, you can write this essay without having visited.

2 Likes

Please have your child read this thread, which should address your questions:

1 Like

thanks!

Fake it till you make it. But back it up with your research; make sure to know the university websites inside and out and call out some special features that made this University a part of your top list to apply to in the first place.

2 Likes

It is not recommended to use buzzwords in your college application essay and it is not necessary to try to conform to one’s interpretation of a college’s mission statement (which are usually set forth in very broad terms). Just be your genuine, honest self.

It is fine to examine a school’s website for any academic, social, and athletic offerings that are of interest to you, but remember that schools admit individuals to build diverse communities, not parrots.

Why are you really attracted to a particular school ? If a major, course or activity offered by that school supports your attraction to that college or university, then it is okay to mention that in one’s application essay.

2 Likes

Is he into football? SMU moving to the ACC might be of interest.

I get so hung up why for some this is a hard question to answer. People I have help I tell them just to tell me why they want to go to X school. Period. Then put that in the proper form. If you can’t explain why you want to go to x school then you probably shouldn’t go there.

I agree that websites etc of the school will be helpful.

But if all you got it “This department is really good” then maybe that’s not the school for you.

1 Like

Get on some school Facebook etc sites. Talk to students through admissions. They should be able to connect you with someone. Are these his people?

Each school definitely has a vibe. Is this vibe going to enhance his ability to learn and grow?

As stated many schools have repetitive activities and clubs. How is your son going to be an active student on campus? They want to know…

I once read a recommendation to flip the question in your mind: “Why should this school want ME as a student?” That helps the student focus on ways they could contribute to this specific campus community — which is what the school cares about.

How does this student see themselves participating and/or leading and/or serving on this campus?

5 Likes

I recommend heading out to watch youtube videos about the campus and surrounding communities. Check college channels for those that might be of particular interest. Scour the website. Check that school’s board on reddit if it exists.

My kid just graduated from a university where I know this essay at an increasingly competitive large public flagship can really make or break an app. So I recommend finding something very specific to say about that campus and the experience they’d have there and what they will bring as an active participant to campus.

1 Like