Student Health Center and Health Insurance

<p>I would like some information on how well the Student Health Center works with the parents’ insurance company. From the web site</p>

<p>The Student Health Center, excluding pharmacy, will only submit claims to the following health insurance carriers:</p>

<pre><code>Blue Cross Blue Shield – All states
VIVA
Cigna
United Health Care
Aetna
Tricare
Humana
Health Spring
PSI Student Insurance
Beech Street – TPA network
PHCS – TPA network
</code></pre>

<p>Any problems with the insurance companies listed?</p>

<p>We are OOS and have United Health Care. Sometimes our insurance can be a bit tricky when using it OOS because it considers it out of network. I’ve never understood why health insurance should be allowed to operate differently than auto insurance in that respect but it does.</p>

<p>To date we have had no issues with using our insurance at the SHC. D had a medical emergency this year and needed to go to the ER for treatment and it wasn’t an issue either. She was treated very well at both facilities.</p>

<p>We have BCBS and my daughter has not had any problems. She also uses their pharmacy and they file. The copays are charged to her student account.</p>

<p>BCBS is very popular in Alabama and I believe that the SHC is considered an in-network provider. However, as it is not open to the public, it is not listed on BCBS provider searches. As for other insurance providers, those with PPOs rather than HMOs seem to have better luck finding a provider as their insurance is “portable” between states, hence the suitcase icon on their insurance card. Those with plans that restrict non-emergency coverage to their home state might find it difficult to get non-emergency service covered.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that your prescription insurance company may be different than your medical insurance company. Until recently, the SHC didn’t accept Medco Health prescription insurance. Oddly enough, Medco was the provider of the prescription insurance that UA was selling students. Prescription-wise, if the SHC doesn’t accept your insurance, the Rite Aid just across the street likely does.</p>

<p>SEA_Tide, do you know if prescriptions at SHC are competitive with the local drug stores? We have high deductible insurance (high enough that we’ve never actually satisfied the deductible) and no prescription coverage, so price is relevant.</p>

<p>We have Blue Shield and I called them a few months ago to ask about coverage OOS. I was delighted to find UA SHC listed! It was another confirmation that UA is a good fit for my kid.</p>

<p>I have not seen the SHC’s prescription pricing. I try to get my prescriptions filled at Target as I can call any Target pharmacy and have my prescription ready in 15 minutes if I walk into the store and request it, 2 hours if I call, or the next afternoon if they have to order the medication. Their prices are very reasonable too and they have unique red pill containers. Also, Rite Aid often matches prescription prices and will often pay you $25 to transfer your prescription.</p>

<p>We’ve added our kids to our Sams Club membership because it’s really cheap to add them. </p>

<p>Sam’s Rx’s are probably the cheapest out there. And, if you have one of those advertised generic $4 Rxs, always ask what the real price is…sometimes it’s cheaper and they have to sell it to you for that…sometimes $2. And, if you have insurance with a co-pay, always ask what the “non insurance” price of the generic version is…sometimes it’s cheaper than your co-pay, so you don’t use your insurance for those purposes. My H has a few Rxs that are really cheap, so it’s cheaper to buy them without our insurance rather than pay the higher “co-payment” (we have BCBS)</p>

<p>Is there a Sam’s Club in Tuscaloosa or near UA?</p>

<p>Yes, there is a Sams Club on Skyland Boulevard just off McFarland. It is beside WalMart.</p>