Subject to Academic Disqualification

<p>I am a 5th year student majoring in computer science at a UC school.
This past quarter I took what is widely regarded as the most difficult undergrad CS course in addition to another hard CS class. I was also in the process of looking for a job in order to have one lined up so that I could start working right after I graduate.</p>

<p>One of the companies interested in me asked me to complete a project for them. The project was fairly difficult and took a significant amount of time, but I knew it was a great opportunity. The company was a great fit for me and the project really excited me.</p>

<p>In the end completing the project for the company payed off. After going in for an interview they offered me a full time position after I graduate.</p>

<p>Now for the sad part…
Meanwhile, during the quarter when I started to realize that I had a workload that was too difficult, I dropped one of my classes with a W. I had expected a curve in the other class due to what I heard about the grade distribution from previous quarters. However, there were some very bright students and overall the class performed very well (significantly better than previous classes). And so the professor chose to not curve the class. I ended up with a D in the class (this is technically considered a passing grade for the class).</p>

<p>So my GPA for the quarter is a 1.0 and I’m subject to academic disqualification.
My cumulative GPA is a 2.5 (which I know is not very good). I also was subject to academic disqualification a year before this before and I successfully appealed. I have been in good standing since I appealed. I am only 14 units away from graduating. Next quarter would be my last. I’m afraid, though, that this time they have no choice but to kick me out since I already went through the appeal process before. I’m just really upset at myself and I feel so frustrated because I’m so close to graduating.</p>

<p>So I’m curious if anyone has any advice or has gone through a similar experience. Do you think they will give me a chance to appeal? If not is there anything I can do? If I am kicked out, how would I go about looking for a job? Should just try for an internship instead of full time? </p>

<p>I feel for you and I have no experience in this regard or advice to impart, other than this: perhaps if you go to “them” (whoever that may be - your advisor? the dean of students? etc) and let them know that, in addition to the circumstances you outlined above, you have JOB lined up upon graduation, they might find a way to help you out of this. </p>

<p>I would imagine that every university likes to tout its employment statistics, and jeopardizing your job might be incentive for them to find a way to get you to the graduation ceremony on time. </p>

<p>Wish I could be of more help!</p>

<p>Thanks, I appreciate the advice. The thing is I believe the school is closed until January 5 (which I think is the day they send me an email letting me know if I am disqualified or not). I’m not sure if I should try and email the dean before that date. </p>

<p>I see no harm in trying, although I strongly advise you to visit the appropriate person the day school opens back up.</p>

<p>Please put together a very organized, compelling argument and emphasize the job. Spelling and grammar count. Be adult. Figure out who the email should be sent to, and include all the right people.</p>

<p>Mention that the purpose of your entire education was to get you to this point, that you have loved your time at this school and are very grateful for the opportunities it has given you. Stress that you are proud of your accomplishments, and you attribute them to this university. Describe the company you worked for, how they too were impressed with your skills and education, and describe what you did for them.</p>

<p>Then coherently explain how you ended up in academic trouble this semester. Plead with the school to allow you to complete your degree, not only because your job is on the line, but because you truly believe you have found your calling and you have earned your degree - but for this misstep. You want nothing more than to be a proud alum of the school and use your degree in the real world.</p>

<p>The plea should be complimentary of the school and should not blame the class or the professor. Accept all blame and all consequences - -except for the ultimate consequence of academic disqualification. Remember, YOU got yourself into this mess, no one else did. But I have every hope for you to get yourself out of it!</p>