Summer Music Festival 2023

We have been told by multiple people that Aspen is where one goes to make connections, not necessarily to make musical progress.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I have a high school freshman daughter who has attended Heifetz and Buti last year. This year, she is also accepted to green mountain to study with her first choice violin teacher. Has anyone attended green mountain? Any thoughts on overall experience?

1 Like

I think ā€œmaking connectionsā€ happen at every summer program or festival, even at all-state, all-national events.

Kids bond and make music together, they meet each other, and they all have mutual friends.

On certain level of performance it is the same roster of kids accepted into more selective programs.

Music world is small.

D23 had an instrumentalist/band director in her USC audition panel that was her all-state guest band director in GA several years ago. Still remembered her and her little piccolo solo, that was a cool moment and an icebreaker.

I also think a lot depends on kidā€™s goals and attitude. What you will take from each festival.

5 Likes

Of course! I was just pointing out what we have been told. I donā€™t think it referred to the kids, so much as the mingling with more established musicians, and how much time was spent in formal ensembles, lessons, etc.

My two cents: our son also got into Green Mountain this year as a graduating senior and I think will attend. And last year was admitted to Yellow Barn but did not attend, went elsewhere. My understanding is that both of these programs (and lots of others) are mostly populated by older/college-age students. There are different guidelines for the younger set at these camps/festivals, as there should be. This was a consideration over the last few summers for us. We wanted the majority of the kids to be in a similar age group. Why? Kids this age tend to stick with their age group or very close to it. And the small world thing is very real per RussianMom comment. Our kid knew a handful of musicians at each audition he attended over this past month due to summer programs. This lowered the stress considerably as they cheered each other on. My feeling is that there are top-notch teachers/professionals at almost all these summer programs. Something to be gained from them all. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your advice! We will think few more days before making the choiceā€¦

1 Like

Thank you so much for your comments! It is very helpful for us to make the final decision. Mine is also a high school freshman.

1 Like

Has anyone had any experience with Castleman or Hilton Head? For chamber.

1 Like

DD24 has Caslteman on the possible list next year but in truth will prob wait until eligible for the college programme

It doesnā€™t seem to have a separate college program as far as I can tell. Do you mean for the piano internships? Perhaps Iā€™m missing something. Itā€™s a very small program.

Does anybody know how many kids Buti accepts into orchestra program per string instruments? How many violins, cellos, and bases?

Sorry yes - i meant given it goes all the way to post grad, DD will likely look at it later

1 Like

Congrats to those acceptances! We have an acceptance for Green Mountain & Ascent Cello and a waitlist for Heifetz.

Any thoughts between those two programs? Any idea how much of a wait the waitlist can be (or when Heifetz students need to accept by?)

@figaro77 - My daughter is also a freshman, considering Green Mountain (and waitlisted for Heifetz). One of her teachers attended and raved about the program, but following to see what others think. How did yours like Heifetz last year?

1 Like

(duplicate)

Hi, I can tell you that my daughter really enjoyed Heifetz. There are so many talents, and she was inspired by it. She wanted to go back again this summer, but we declined(they gave us 4 days to make a decision, so waitlist will move very quickly. Iā€™m sure you can ask them where he is at on waitlist).

We are going to choose green mountain because she got her first choice teacher assigned. Also have a classmate from graduate school who teaches there, so that also helped to make a pick.

As for Buti, workshop was fine for herā€¦according to her, she learnt much more at Heifetz. Young artist orchestra program would be so much fun for kids, but not enough time for her to work on solo repertoire. Also playing in the orchestra too many hours is not necessarily for her at this stage of study.

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Could I ask what may be the reason to choose green mountain over ascent?

Sorry, I am not familiar with ascentā€¦the structure of the festival seems somehow similar to green mountain as for scheduled practice time. It all comes down to which faculty you are assigned.

1 Like

Green Mt is fantastic. Ascent is 100% fabulous. All you need to do is look at the teachers. Top notch. Donā€™t hesitate to attend A!

2 Likes

Can anybody tell me if Interlochen high school orchestra program is any good?

2 Likes

I think all the course will be brilliant, different styles suit different young people, they can progress in any of them

2 Likes