Summer Music Festival 2023

Sorry for the confusion. Was intended to ask on cello front.

@figaro77 from your last years experience, does Buti offer private class for the workshop - the website only list one instructor and I don’t see the schedule detail. My gut feeling is it will be a great camp from social aspect with a small group music focused kids, but I am also attracted to other camp’s more structured practice/lesson schedule.

@littlebrownbear thank you - teacher is exactly what I was looking at. I am drawn to A for its duration (short, one week cello intensive), with a list of big names but I don’t have information on how many kids from the younger side will be there.

My daughter seems to have her mind set for BUTI workshop for its environment (location, campus and similar age kids) she won’t be 15 in the upcoming summer yet. While as a parent, our considerations are different.

This will also be her first summer away from home, and we are looking for shorter programs for this particular summer for various reasons.

From what I remember, she had one private lesson per week. They had informal recital where she could perform the solo piece, and another chamber music recital at the end of workshop. She told me they practiced scale together everyday. She was 14 when she did it and made few friends from different part of country which is very neat.

1 Like

Thanks! is this for violin workshop or string quartet program?

Might be worth sending an email under “Contact” to ask what the age-range numbers were from last summer?

1 Like

yes, I am checking with her teacher and the admission office. the admission came last night and still processing all the info…

2 Likes

Violin workshop.

1 Like

If only they were spaced apart a bit – mine would’ve loved to do Ascent AND Green Mountain!

1 Like

You can book additional lessons at BUTI and request the teacher I think BUTI said average age last year was 16-17 but yes you should check with them

1 Like

She is excited for both, but unfortunately they overlap. The programs seem great, the faculty are amazing at each.

She wants to focus on solo prep and technique this summer, so if she did Ascent, she would ideally also attend another 3-week program later in the summer (Heifetz, Bowdoin)

1 Like

Dm’g you

1 Like

Have you looked at Vivace? Ten days, solo-focused.

2 Likes

Has anyone heard from Bowdoin yet?

I looked at it, however we only considered the first part of summer for music camp. There are other plans in August.

1 Like

Same here. Solo prep for this summer.

1 Like

Yeah, they mentioned 16.5, perfect. She is juggling between BUTI and ascent now. Tanglewood location is just so attractive to her.

Hello everyone, does anyone have any experience with BUTI Young Artist Vocal Program? Just curious how it is structured, this will be her first (and last) year attending. Thank you!

FWIW, I have twin musicians. One D23 attended Interlochen advanced clarinet intensive last year and would not return (12+ kids per cabin, daily chores, minimal interaction w/faculty, wide variety of student abilities, etc.). One D23 attended BUTI YAO horn and loved it (max 4/room, weekly masterclasses, surrounded by kids of similar abilities who connected and inspired each other musically, etc.).

2 Likes

My D23 was a flute in BUTI YAO and loved it!

FYI, if you have kids stuck on BUTI waitlists, you can ask their approximate location on the list and their likelihood of getting in. They waitlist several for each program from what I understand, and pretty much only the top 1-2 have a real chance of acceptance.

I think they email by March 7th. At least it was like that last year.