Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Does anyone know of any summer programs related to law?</p>

<p>^ I wish I would do one, but I couldnā€™t find anything online</p>

<p>Are the camps that emilywebb and cindyluhoo very difficult to gain admission to?</p>

<p>I havenā€™t heard great things about Education Unlimited in terms of helping college admissions. I have heard that theyā€™re great experiences but arenā€™t necessarily considered competitive as they cost a fortune.</p>

<p>Good morn all. Iā€™m new to this site. It appears to be quite helpful. Is anyone familiar w/ the George Town summer college. Was accepted and moving in two weeks, just want to know what to expect.</p>

<p>Hey, Iā€™m going to this engineering program in a week, called da Vinci Engineering Enrichment Program (DEEP) Summer Academy at the University of Toronto. Itā€™s a very young program (started in 2003) and doesnā€™t seem well known (Google searches donā€™t come up with much besides the website itself). Hereā€™s a link to the website: [DEEP</a> Summer Academy 09 | University of Toronto](<a href=ā€œhttp://enrichment.uoftengineering.com/deep09/]DEEPā€>http://enrichment.uoftengineering.com/deep09/)
Please look through the website and reply on:
-how you think this program compares to other university programs
-whether you think the education more than makes up for the cost (for me, about $4000-$5000)
-whether itā€™ll jump out on college apps engineering-wise</p>

<p>What kind of summer programs are good for indecisive people. What is a good summer program to take, but you are not really sure if it will be worth it? so far, iā€™ve been taking prep courses for standardized tests and have not been exposed to the idea of taking a ā€œsummer campā€ kind of class. My parents want me to go into businessā€¦i donā€™t really know what i want to do so any programs related to business so that I can try it out?</p>

<p>what about governorā€™s school? Are those prestigious? Iā€™m thinking about applying next year to the agriculture one in virginia.</p>

<p>Is it really necessary to take summer programs?</p>

<p>If you do them consistently they will relay your passion and willingness to learn outside of school. </p>

<p>Itā€™s not crucial to take summer programs though. You could have a productive summer by taking college classes, a job, an internship, publishing a book, or volunteer work. </p>

<p>However, if you get into highly competitive summer programs such as RSI and MITESā€¦then the rest is history. </p>

<p>Do what you want :] If youā€™re interested in science, itā€™s enough to just do research all your summers; but summer programs are fun for a lot of people so they take them anyways.</p>

<p>Also, donā€™t take summer programs because theyā€™re ā€˜necessaryā€™. If you do that, most of the time youā€™ll end up chasing after summer programs that you arenā€™t even interested in (usually with a 4000+ pricetag).</p>

<p>So I really want to attend a summer program to focus my interests and learn about a topic that I am passionate about. A program like the Uconn Mentor Connection looks really good for academics and I think it would be great to study under a distinguished scientist.</p>

<p>But, programs like the Oxbridge tradition or Harvard ssp (the really expensive ones) look like they would be more of an ā€œexperienceā€. They are centered in active cities and seem to allow more freedom than other summer programs. Or, are these programs really just money-machines?</p>

<p>Or, would you recommend a travel abroad program (I was looking at one that goes to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji) that has very little focus on academics?</p>

<p>which would be the most valuable?</p>

<p>@ fairy_dreams: Iā€™m interested in science, but how would you go about doing research?</p>

<p>There are a few options.</p>

<p>1) Sign up for summer programs that ā€˜specializeā€™ on research. As far as I know, RSI is the one the gives the most freedom. Programs like NIH and Jeffersonā€™s Lab are great research experiences, but you have to research what they tell you to.</p>

<p>2) Internships are a great way to research your own topics as well. Email or call a bunch of professors (donā€™t email all the professors in the biology department. research each and every one of them and find out about their latest research projects. then ask if you can help as a volunteer or lab intern)</p>

<p>3) Some people do choose to self-research. They usually get access to their schoolā€™s lab and have a mentor. This is rather difficult thoughā€¦</p>

<p>Has anyone heard of the uconn mentor connection? It looks like a pretty good program but I havenā€™t heard much about it. If you can tell me anything then please reply!</p>

<p>Do you think attending PROMYS or HCSSiM is better than doing our State Governorā€™s School for Science or the Governorā€™s School for Engineering?</p>

<p>The great thing about a national program is that you meet people from many other places.</p>

<p>Besides TASP, are there any other prestigious humanities-centered summer programs available? Iā€™d really love to look into some out-of-country programsā€¦ I know that anything you have to pay a lot for is considered unspectacular, but I couldnā€™t afford most of them anyway, so would it look different if I went with a scholarship of some sort? (And does anyone know any travel abroad programs that would offer such scholarships?)</p>

<p>thereā€™s the journalist camp called AAJA J-camp ^</p>

<p>donā€™t apply to aaja.</p>