Summer Programs That Look Good on College Applications

<p>PROMYS or HCCSSIM - both are pretty equal. Also check out Ross. My son attended Mathcamp for 4 years, and you get exposure to more branches of math there. Also, probably a lot more fun.</p>

<p>All look good on an application.</p>

<p>It’s too late already for summer 2010, but if you are interested in math/science/tech/engineering and wanting to look ahead, NASA’s INSPIRE program is really strong. I’ve been in it for two years. During the school year it’s an online program with projects and chats with all kinds of NASA experts. Our big proejct this year was being in teams that researched and designed a lunar habitat. a leader of the NASA team that has actually been designing a lunar habitat reviewed our project and gave us feedback.</p>

<p>Each spring we apply for summer internships and programs with NASA. Last year (rising Junior) I went to Puerto Rico and worked with an electron microscope, made carbon nanorods and examined a luminescent bay. This year I applied for summer long paid NASA internship (selections haven’t been announced yet). The INSPIRE program is pretty new. So far it’s been relatively easy to get into the online program (the app includes transcript, recs, essays) and competition for the summer opportunities hasn’t been too cuthroat, but as more schools find out about it that’ll change. You have to be in the school year program to be eligible to apply for the summer opportunities.</p>

<p>The official name is ‘Interdisciplinary National Science Project Incorporating Research and Education Experience’ and you can find it on the NASA website. apps for next year will open in May. I think they really want people to apply as rising freshman (May 2010 for 8th graders) and then continue in the program through high school. But, any year can apply. even rising high school seniors who haven’t been in it before can apply.</p>

<p>Just wondering if anybody has any comment to the “prestige” of a research internship with NIH. I feel that I’ll get great experience, however I have other programs that I am applying to and sort of wonder how they should rank.</p>

<p>OK I had been thinking this but this confirms it. The dean of admissions and financial aid at Grinnell College is in today’s Wall St Journal saying admiss officers have flipped on how they think about summer programs and now someone who works a summer job can stand out more than someone who does an international community service project or an expensive summer program.</p>

<p>^Well, we already knew that expensive noncompetitive programs are less impressive than jobs or free opportunities. But hopefully this will dissuade those parents who can’t really afford a summer program but send their kids to one anyway because of the myth it boosts admissions chances. So many kids at my school have done that, and it just makes me kind of sad to think of the resources people spent for a nonexistant admissions boost.</p>

<p>Has anyone heard of the marine science camp offered by Dauphin Island Sea Lab in Alabama? It seems very interesting but am not sure how good it is. Anyone with an experience in this program?</p>

<p>Kinda unrelated, but does anyone know where to get a mentor over the summer for math projects?</p>

<p>^Start with HS teachers</p>

1 Like

<p>Any one with knowledge of UPenn M & T program? I knwo its expensive but so is there LBW program and I think this fits my daughter’s interests more.</p>

<p>How about Bryant University BUILD? Are they offering this program again this year?</p>

<p>how was that program? I am sending my daughter this year.</p>

<p>I emailed Northwestern about their summer program, and haven’t heard anything back. I asked some specific questions that would influence weather I apply or not, and need them answered, because the deadline is on Friday. Has anyone else tried to contact them?</p>

<p>Is there a program on math or science that a going-to-college like me can participate this summer?</p>

<p>National Youth Science Camp</p>

<p>how is Cornells CATALYST engineering program?</p>

<p>For any school in Virginia: VA Governor’s school.</p>

<p>Preferably Math Science Tech, Humanities isn’t as presitigious.</p>

<p>Med and NASA are the most exclusive however.</p>

<p>^ Yeah Medicine is really hard to get into. I didn’t even make it to the state level. :/</p>

<p>Medicine is like ludacris. I think they take like 30 people out of 1000 applicants or something.</p>

<p>I applied to HUM last year and got to states but then deferred, mainly because I was a sophomore.</p>

<p>This year I’ve tried to more selective MST, and have made it to states, but I don’t think I’ll get in because it’s soo uber hard.</p>

<p>I hear this year they’ve gotten 7000+ applicants which is crazy if you think about it!</p>

<p>Does anyone know about humanities-oriented programs that are available for rising juniors? And are any of them programs that would ~really help on an app? (If not, I’ll probably volunteer in South America for 6 weeks, but I thought I’d check.)</p>

<p>Yeah People to People is awesome! I hear they even have an African Med camp now, which is great.</p>

<p>I was contacted by them a few years ago, but wasn’t able to go. I remember that back then the package was Australia–> Nepal–> Trini –> Jamaica?</p>

<p>I think it was handing out fresh water and med packages, but all my friends that had a chance to go loved it!</p>

1 Like

<p>Here’s a medicine/health outreach related program</p>

<p>"Know any students interested in health, medicine, or social justice?</p>

<p>We are now accepting applications to our Annual Youth Leadership Conference on Asian and Pacific Islander Health. Please let your students or high school youth know about this unique opportunity. They will leave the conference empowered and with a concrete action plan to tackle major global health issues, such as hepatitis B and liver cancer.</p>

<p>Past speakers and workshops include:</p>

<ul>
<li>Dean of the Stanford School of Medicine</li>
<li>Associate Director of Stanford Undergraduate Admissions</li>
<li>Stanford University Career Development (resume and CV building)</li>
<li>Public Speaking</li>
<li>Business Etiquette</li>
<li>Business Leaders and CEOs</li>
<li>State Assembly Members</li>
</ul>

<p>Applications, fees, and letters of recommendation are due April 30.</p>

<p>There is an opportunity to win free attendance ($300 value) to the Youth Leadership Conference along with other great prizes by submitting an essay or video addressing hepatitis B to the 2nd Annual B-Inspired Multimedia Contest. </p>

<p>Links: to the conference [Home</a> (Youth Leadership Conference 2010)](<a href=“http://sites.google.com/site/ylcparticipants/]Home”>http://sites.google.com/site/ylcparticipants/)
to the scholarship site [Contest</a> Overview and Rules (B-Inspired! Multimedia Contest)](<a href=“http://sites.google.com/site/binspiredcontest/]Contest”>http://sites.google.com/site/binspiredcontest/)</p>