Switching Major to Nursing

So I am currently in the Spring semester of my sophomore year at college as a psychology major on the pre-med track. I recently made the decision that I want to go into nursing instead because I’m unhappy with pre-med and don’t want to do it anymore. However, I’m nervous that I won’t be able to switch majors because of how late it is (is it even late as a sophomore?). I know with nursing you have to complete all these pre-reqs and I believe at my school you also need to be “accepted” into your major even if you decide to switch, so would it be possible to do so? I’m afraid that if I speak with an advisor that they’re going to tell me that I can’t do it so I’m debating on if it’s even worth going into nursing at this point.

You have several options but I do not understand your reluctance to talk to an advisor at this point. The worse they can say that you cannot change majors at your current college to Nursing.

You have a couple of options:

1. First find out if it is possible to change majors and what you need to accomplish it.
  2. If you are unable to change majors at your current college, you could complete the pre-req courses there or at a local community college and then apply to transfer into a Nursing program at another school.
  3. Complete your Bachelors in Psychology along with the Nursing pre-req’s and then do a post Bacc Nursing program. Of course, this would be the longest route.

Don’t worry. Nursing basic sciences are at a lower level than premed basic sciences, so they most definitely will give you credit for some of what you’ve taken already. Go talk to the advisor for the nursing program. Worst case scenario is that you’ll have to spend an extra year in college to get your BSN.