Syracuse Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Syracuse University.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

1 Like

what majors are we applying to?

Applying ED to college of engineering with A&S as second choice

Background: South Asian-American male second generation in a 5 person household, rising senior, lower middle class attending a public high school in bronx. Applying for financial aid

Gpa: we use 100 scale and its 95.40 which i think is 4.0

Coursework: 2 AP(Calc Ab and Physics 1), 11 honors(only took honors since freshman year), I’ll be taking AP Calc Bc, AP physics C, APUSH, And AP Comp sci A this year. School only offers around 7-8 and the other two are Lit and Bio

Extracurriculars: I’m captain of 2 varsity sports at high school level and captain of a club sport which competes in state; ACE engineering program, first tech fund, robotics, Bloomberg PENCIL, Google Code next, Stem institute at CCNY, Trio Talent search.

Awards: Citizenship and Leadership certificates pretty basic

Essay: planning on writing about my broken finger and how it changed my life or my parents divorce and how it affected me

Test score: Test optional for now(retaking SAT in September)

I think my EC’s are pretty weak considering most of them came from junior year and I don’t have any work experience. My volunteering work is just me being student ambassador and doing yard work for central park and homeless shelters. I plan on doing an interview with Syracuse around first to second week of August and I have 3 LOR’s lined up already. I really want to get this school i met the admissions officer and talked really well to him so I hope I made a good impression. If anyone has any connections into Syracuse let me know so I can see what I need to improve on

Have you run their Net Price Calculator and able to afford whatever it spits out at you as the expected cost of attendance? Applying ED that’s worst (some might say likely) scenario.

Syracuse is heavy “demonstrated interest”. You’ve engaged them so just keep up that engagement. If you haven’t already you should be visiting/touring the campus as well as any sessions your chosen degree program might put on.

Your extracurriculars should be what speaks to YOU, not what might speak to the school. If you have extra time and want to pick up something go pick it up. You’re in your senior year so most colleges aren’t going to weigh it too heavily in any decision since it’s a short-term interest.

2 Likes

who here is applying ed 2?

My son applied ED. Did anyone else experience a delay in an application portal email ?

Applicant Portal email arrived the next morning after S applied ED on 10/25.

D submitted RD last night, had portal by the time she woke up today. Very easy to navigate too. Some schools are certainly more streamlined than others. We’ve been impressed with schools like Syracuse, Elon, Lehigh throughout this whole process. Others, not so much. :flushed:

1 Like