Syracuse or SUNY New Paltz

Hey everyone im kind of in a bit of a predicament and would appreciate any feedback possible! Syracuse was my top school for a few months but then I began to think I would not get in and planned on going to SUNY New Paltz. Today I received an acceptance to Syracuse but no merit aid. Unsure of financial aid at this point. Would it be worth full tuition over a SUNY for majoring in biology? My parents told me not to pick a school based on money but I do feel bad choosing a more expensive school.

Are you planning to be a pre-med?

Do your parents have to money to pay for Syracuse? Sometimes parents say not to worry about money, but they mean they’re going to co-sign all your loans. Being “worth it” really depends on the finances involved.

2 Likes

What is your goal once you obtain a biology degree? Do you want to teach HS? Possibly apply to medical school or some other type of health care program? Are you interested in a PhD? Maybe you are not sure (that’s ok)?

Are you interested in research? If yes, have you inquired about the ease of doing research at these schools?

If your intention is premed/pre health, I would talk to advising and learn what premed/pre health is all about at both schools. Do not assume- you have to ask.

These schools have a very different campus vibe. FYI New Paltz is a great school.

Can you parents afford Syracuse? Would there be money left for grad school?

Why biology?
(It’s one of the lowest ROI majors: there aren’t any jobs specifically for bio graduates as the positions tend to require a master’s or PhD - outside of bio informatics or bio statistics; and 2/3 premeds don’t get into any med school… hence an oversupply on the job market).

Have you considered other majors?
What do you like about Syracuse?

Had you run the NPC on Syracuse? Was it affordable without loans?

It would help if we knew what this student wants to do with a biology degree. The answer might be “not sure,” which is fine …but it also means trying to gain experiences in order to figure it out.

There are jobs, but they are not high paying and most students go back to school within a few years. You can find a job in a lab or as a research assistant, AmeriCorp, etc. There are also scribe positions, as well as editing opportunities (again, not high paying). It is helpful to connect with professors and get involved in research etc. If you are going to class and not doing much of anything else, it will not be very productive in terms of opportunities.

This student can also join organizations such as NYC Teaching Fellows or TFA (not sure if TFA recruits from New Paltz). If he/she remains in NY and works for the DOE, the salary is pretty good.

We really need more information. If this student wants to teach HS I would go to New Paltz and inquire about a combined BA/MA. If Syracuse is possible with no loans, then it becomes a possibility. On the other hand, if this student wants to be a PA (for example), why not save the money for grad school?

As I mentioned earlier, these 2 schools are very different. Does this student have a preference in terms of size, location, sports, etc? Students at NP often go into NYC for the day to see shows etc (pre Covid).

Check out pre health at NP (if that is an interest). There is some good information there and it costs a lot less than Syracuse.