Syracuse Waitlist class of 2027

S23 has no such hooks (parent alums) into Syracuse and got basically the same offer so not sure I would chalk it up to that. But agree that it feels like another slap in the face. When he got the email last night he forwarded it to the AO and said that although Syracuse was his #1 choice, Architecture was also his #1 choice major and if those two things can’t match up there they can take his name off the WL.

I will say that this officially puts the final nail in the admissions cycle for us as it was the last school we were WL’ing. Kid is off to Tulane for the Fall!

Best of luck to your daughter!

2 Likes

My dtr is still waitlisted and has been submitting continued letters of interest. She also made Syracuse University’s Dance team and they haven’t admitted her to the school yet. They let her try out waitlisted and put her on the team but she’s still not accepted as a student yet :disappointed:

Boston is a great city! She will have a fantastic time at Emerson! The italian food in the North End is the best! :cityscape:

1 Like

This is the end of the cycle for us too, although since she committed to Emerson on May 1, she hasn’t looked back or even thought about the waitlists. She was contacted yesterday by the other school she was waitlisted at, NYU Tisch, letting her know all spots were filled.

Such different emotional experiences with the two waitlists. With NYU, she was excited that she was even waitlisted by the top film school, although I don’t think she ever saw it as a real match or had a strong connection with it. With Syracuse, just disbelief and anger. Both parents are alums, she’s a top student, and demonstrated a lot of interest by attending the pre-college film program last summer (and loved it). And Newhouse didn’t require a portfolio, so she wasn’t rejected based on her filmmaking.

1 Like

That is crazy! I would think they would give her an offer so she can plan… that is not right that they are stringing her along.

Congrats on the dance team! Hoping she gets an acceptance soon!

4 Likes

Thank you so much :blush:

All these young adults sound so incredibly impressive so I think it’s really shame that they had to undergo this drawn out process. (And the substantial cost, I don’t think it’s any wonder us parents were curious/invested - silly comment above - to think otherwise is not considering the 300k+price tag.)

I think my son will be declining the iSchool spot since it’s not his first pick (Newhouse) and their $0 scholarship offer.

From a student’s Perspective, being on the waitlist really sucks. I’ve been waiting for more than two months now for the College of Arts and Sciences, and I’ve got no new updates. I’ve sent 2 LOCIs and got some pretty rare scholarships but still nothing. Starting to give up hope :(. I feel like all my hard work was for nothing. Now Im probably going to CUNY Baruch College, which is a good choice, but I would’ve really wished for Syracuse.

3 Likes

I could’ve gone to better options like Fordham or Stony Brook, but I literally can’t spend a dollar on college and my college fund is basically nonexistent, asides from the scholarships

Onlooker, I hope you get a spot!!!

CUNY Baruch is prestigious though. It doesn’t have the big sports that make Syracuse a national name, but employers know that it is super high quality, and employers are what matters.

3 Likes

Same situation here, I dread the possibility of a letter of rejection since I don’t have much going for me. I hope you get a spot and everyone else hopping a spot off the waitlist.

1 Like

Daughter received her official acceptance today for A&S. She will be rejecting the offer, but we were surprised that she received a $15k chancellor’s scholarship off the waitlist.

2 Likes

It’s 6/1 - if my kid were seriously considering them I’d go back to them and negotiate that scholarship up. My guess is they know they’re asking someone to pivot VERY LATE in the game and they need to throw in some sort of incentive.

I am REALLY surprised though that we have kids on here that remain on A&S WL that haven’t heard anything when they’ve been trying to recruit kids that are on other WL’s to go into A&S.

Good luck to your daughter at Emerson!

2 Likes

If you are a NY resident and your family earns less than $125k, you will qualify for the Excelsior scholarship at Stony Brook and receive free tuition.

Daughter just got off waitlist for A&S orignially applied to Newhouse. We are in Los Angeles and will fly out next week to tour the campus.

1 Like

I’m curious if the strategy is to pull from the WL of the highly competitive programs with the thought those students will be more likely to accept? I’d be cautious of the inter-school transfer stats and evaluate the risk.

1 Like

My son got into a program other than Newhouse, and Admissions told us “don’t count on transfer in” bc they are at capacity and you’d need a 3.8 freshman year. (And this was for one where you could dual degree w Newhouse). My son decided to decline since it seemed unlikely to transfer in.

1 Like

I think your theory may be true

1 Like

Interesting, although it seems to be backfiring based on this message board (which, of course, is a minuscule sample size). I’d argue kids applying to a competitive program at Syracuse probably have other really good options as well.