Talking to professors in FB?

One of my professors has a facebook, and I was just curious if he would accept request. He did!
Now I took his class a year ago, and I am pretty sure he remembers me because i visited him quite often.However do you think it’s acceptable to talk to him in FB?

I think it depends on whether there is any chance you would have him again. Also remember that now everything you post on facebook he will see…

Every faculty member does it their own way (because very few schools have an general policy). Of those of my colleagues (not at Alabama, but it’s the same range pretty much everywhere) on FB, some happily accept friend requests from current and potential students, some don’t accept requests from even graduates who had been students, and some fall in between.

Me, I delete friend requests from current students; once a student has completed a class with me and the grade has been submitted, I’ll accept it, but I unfriend them if they take another class from me—all because FB creates a level of informality in the relationship I’m uncomfortable with.