TAMU Blinn-TEAM : Fall 2017 parent perspective

UPDATE! ****

Hi Y’all! Just wanted to give a quick update on my daughter! She completed her Junior Aggie year with a perfect 4.0 for BOTH SEMESTERS! I am beyond proud of her! She had all A’s going into the online classes after Spring Break and I was worried that the online classes/grading would drop her average, but she still earned ALL A’s for her final grades!!

At least all of her classes were easier to navigate as online classes since they were English, Philosophy and French. They were all heavy writing classes but thank goodness no Science labs. I can’t imagine how those classes were held. (I was a Biology major/Chem minor, in a different state, way back in the day and it would have been so difficult to not be in a lab. Of course, this was in the dinosaur days before computers were so prevalent… I think punch cards were used back then! LOL!! :wink:

This Summer she will be studying for a grad school admissions test. :slight_smile:

I am so very grateful that she was given the opportunity to be an Aggie through the Blinn-TEAM program in spite of her low HS class rank. Her performance shows that she was ready for the rigor and pace of Aggie classes.

I hope that everyone is safe and well. This is such a time of so many unknowns. I hope that you all stay well.

Thanks an Gig 'em! :smiley:

Did your daughter wrap up her Blinn Team experience before they opened the Rellis campus? I wondered how students with access to the new campus felt about the facility and ease of managing classes on both campuses?

Hi Sethwinick:

Thanks for the query! I got an email notification of your message after the thread was closed but it looks like it is now opened again.

My daughter wrapped up her Blinn Team experience as the last class to take some classes at Blinn in Bryan, so I can’t give any feedback on the process at Rellis. But I would think that the process would be similar since the students would take classes at both the main TAMU campus and at Rellis. I have heard that access to food was an issue when Rellis first opened.

With almost every class going to virtual learning, who knows what the experience will be in the future. I hope that parents of the current Blinn-TEAM group respond to your query.

I still whole heartedly endorse Blinn-TEAM as an opportunity for students to have a true Aggie experience. My daughter now proudly wears her Aggie gold ring and is looking forward to graduating on time in May and then going on to grad school. She will graduate with Honors in her major. Blinn-TEAM was truly a blessing for her.

Gig 'em and God Bless!

3 Likes

Thanks much, and congrats to your daughter. The thread here has been helpful!

I am so glad that this thread has been helpful to you! So much has changed since my daughter started on Blinn-TEAM in the Fall of 2017 that I wasn’t sure how applicable or relevant our experience was to the current and future incoming Aggie Freshman.

Do you have an incoming Blinn-TEAMer? I am sure that many would be interested in your experience, you might think about starting a thread.

There is a facebook page for Blinn-TEAM families, a wealth of info can be found there as I think that there are current families posting there. I think that certain questions have to be answered to join that page.

The Corona Virus pandemic, the SAT/ACT that are now test optional, discontinuation of the Academic Admissions group and the reinstitution of the Waitlist has really changed the whole process of getting into TAMU. I can’t imagine how hard the process is now compared to my daughter’s application experience.

The pandemic has changed everything. I am so glad that my daughter had about 2 1/2 years of “a normal Aggieland experience”. I can’t imagine how hard it has been for the current Freshman and Sophomore and those who are still in HS who are planning on submitting their applications. I sure hope that everyone has the opportunity for an overall positive college experience.

I am so glad that Blinn-TEAM is still an admissions option, it is a wonderful option that is unjustly looked down upon by the “general public” as a “less-than” option. But in fact, it is a fantastic option, so that is why I shared our family experience. I am glad that you enjoyed my posts.

Hang in there,
Gig 'em and God Bless!

1 Like

Looking ahead, I have a HS sophomore who is military bound one way or the other, thrives in JROTC, has an older sib in the Corps, will likely have a decent SAT, but – so far – has been a middling HS student. So I’m kind of thinking ahead of options he might have.

1. Does anyone know of a general academic profile of kids offered Blinn TEAM?

2. Does desire to join the Corps help to get a Blinn TEAM offer (as opposed to, say, PSA)?

So blinn team profiles change year to year and with academic admit going away this current year, it’s been even more competitive. High scoring and high ranks were getting team along with no scores and in the 2nd quarter. Totally crazy year.

Corps will not increase your chance at a favorable outcome. In the past this may have happened when Corp interest was low, but now… it’s huge… which is great to see.

High scores will definitely help, so if that is his strength… keep getting those scores up! But also show improvement from Soph through junior year in gpa. That will go a long way even if it doesn’t move him into top quarter! They like to see progression. Also get the ECs going!

1 Like

UPDATESorry for the delay, we have had many things keeping us busy and I finally realized I hadn’t updated in over a year. My daughter graduated Magna Cum Laude from TAMU in May of 2021 and has just finished her first year of Law School! I am so proud of her! Blinn-TEAM was a great option for her, she had the opportunity to be an Aggie in Aggieland even though her HS class rank was below the top half at a very competitive HS. She was obviously ready for the rigor of TAMU and went on to excell at a very high level. As we were told at her NSC, students chosen for TAMU Blinn-TEAM are hand picked and have all of the skills to thrive in Aggieland. She had a wonderful Aggie experience, even with the pandemic hitting during Spring Break of her Jr. Year. Gig 'em and God Bless.

1 Like

@AggieMomAgain where is your girl in law school?
My ‘23 Aggie is taking the lsat in August, will start applying as soon as scores are in.
Congrats to your girl!!

52AG82 : I don’t want to be too specific as I don’t want to put too much identifying info on here, sorry. But I will say that she wasn’t interested in applying to tu law school! She did want to stay in TX and had her pick of the Texas law schools and made the best choice for her future! :slight_smile: Good luck to your daughter! I am sure that as an Aggie, she is well prepared for law school anywhere! I do recommend getting tutoring for the LSAT to score her best. The cost is worth it! Gig 'em and God Bless!

1 Like

Thanks for the info! My Ag will be applying in state & out (I’d love her to stay in state). Starting the asking for letters of rec now.

1 Like

My son is taking lsat in august as well. Such a busy time. Been studying since January with online service. We shall see if it pays off!!

Best of luck to your kiddo!!

2 Likes

Good luck to yours, too! My girl took it cold turkey in April. Score was above average, but not what she wants. She came home Mothers Day and started her internship 2 days later, and just completed 10 day Speech Maymester. She’ll start diligently studying/prepping several hours daily tomorrow.
There’s literally ZERO time to prep.

1 Like