TAMU Class of 2021 - Admissions Decisions

Although rolling admissions is common in TX, many other schools do NOT do rolling admissions. They have specific dates, early action dates are often in December and regular decisions in March/April. TX schools give decisions much earlier than most states, they complete their decisions before some school release any of theirs.

@gogogogobruins I told my daughter I kind of regretted applying August 1 but we were advised to do that by an animal science counselor. I said there is probably a stack of applicants that were admitted but they just wait to tell you until they decide what major to put you in. We would have been ok waiting to hear major we just want to know if we’re in! I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see what they are doing!

Rolling admission is rare in competitive schools. I think A&M should stop doing it. Because they admit top 10% automatically, it’s hard to say how much space they’d have for Review admits until all applications are in. I’m sure they leave hundreds of spots until they can go through ALL apps to make sure all top 10% and academic admits are in before making decisions on review admits. I think those who applied early AND had great stats may hear early, but those are probably not very common. Honestly, because they have become so popular, they need to stop with top 10% and academic admits, like they did with the Engineering dept. University of California used to have top 10% auto admits, but it just became impossible to admit all top 10% who wanted to go to UC Berkeley or UCLA so now the rule is top 10% is automatically admitted to ONE OF THE 10 UC schools, but not necessarily one of their choice. In the end, A&M system probably will do the same.

Has anyone heard how many applications they received this year? I thought I heard last year it was over 40,000?

I heard 42,000

https://twitter.com/Aggie_Bound/status/770773694541017088/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
40,673 for 2020

@warrior101x Plenty of August people still waiting. Aug here for D. Not really rolling admission in traditional sense of if your qualified you will be admitted earlier.

Imagine throwing 40,000 applications thrown on floor and picking one here and there looking at it putting it aside in a stack to “review” again. Once a nice stack is formed, the stack is knocked over and someone rolls over it with a chair resulting in one app being left face up 
 and there you have it - a rolling admission. At least that’s how it seems. Complete randomness.

I think they do look at every application as they come in. Unfortunately, to be considered “qualified” early on is rare because they have to admit top10% and Academic admits first. So, if the child has stellar EC AND has great test scores AND great GPA, you’d hear early. otherwise, you have to wait till all automatic admits are in. I think they do let others in slowly, but again, they have to reserve space for auto admits, so the review admit goes very slowly

It is a state law. It is possible that it could be reduced to 7% (tu is 7%)

I’m confused why it would need to be reduced to 7% if only half of the freshman admitted are in the top 10%?

Just noting that it would be possible, I believe A&M had the option and turned it down. It might reduce the overall number of applications. There are plenty of auto admits that do not accept admission. There is also the thought that some of the 10 % are not prepared academically, secondary to inequities in our school systems.

Part of me is conflicted. I wish they did away with the auto 10% rule, because let’s face it, not all schools are created equal. 10% in some schools would not be in the top 15 or even 20% in the more competitive schools, giving preference to less qualified kids in low performing school over more qualified kids in the more competitive schools. I find the combination of GPA vs. SAT score more fair in comparing apples to apples. Of course, then that gives an advantage to the kids who can afford the SAT & ACT prep courses and the freshmen class would not be as diverse racially, ethnically and/or socio-economically. There is no easy answer because there are so many variables to consider. I think the reason some of these “random” acceptances of kids with average stats may have to do with the one category missing from the STATS everyone posts. LEGACIES. What generation Aggie is your child? I would love to see that added to the kids who are REVIEW candidates to see how much that has to do with the degree of acceptances. :-?

I wish that the kids that have auto top 10% admit status were limited on how many schools they can apply to because if you eliminate some, then reviews wouldn’t have to wait so long to see if there are spots available. Most would probably still apply to A&M and UT though. So, it probably wouldn’t make a difference in the long run.

I see what you’re saying @cable0790 and agree. Also totally agree with the above from @addicted2MT. I can go back and forth with that same argument, schools aren’t equal, but then there are those that can afford the prep classes, etc. My son was admitted on Friday and will be a first generation Aggie.

very true about variables

as homeschoolers, we did whatever we wanted to do as far as studying goes so I didn’t even realize people took ACT/SAT prep courses! haha! I guess I should’ve done that with our son. he might have had been auto admit! he got 36 on English and Science but 26 on math. haha. oops.

My kid is a legacy and is under review. Unless your name is on a building I don’t think it matters. GPA is a tricky one because not all schools the same method/scale. The problem with the review process is the amount of subjectivity involved which I feel leads to uncertainty.

@cable0790 - Not all legacies are created equal either. I am an Aggie graduate, so technically, my kid is a legacy. However, that is nothing compared to Legacies that go back 5-6 generations. Now THAT is what I’m talking about when I say Legacies

@addicted2MT My daughter is currently a transfer applicant from Kilgore College. She did apply as a review applicant 2 years ago before making Rangerettes. She will be a fourth generation Aggie

A&M abolished any ties to being a legacy in 2004, for admissions. Here is an old article. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Texas-A-M-abolishes-legacy-program-1959293.php

@Thelma2 - Thank you for sharing the info on Legacies being abolished. I had no idea. Since it was relevant when I graduated, and this is my 1st kid to apply to A&M, I had not looked into it. I thought it was still a thing. While I’m sure kids will sneak the fact that they are legacies into their essays, and it may help them to some degree depending on the circumstances, I am glad it is no longer an “official” determining factor - especially since it would not have benefited my kiddo much, if at all! :wink: