TAMU Class of 2021 - Admissions Decisions

@mollykdolan, @peytonblair17; @tamulover2 - praying for good news for all of you along with everyone else waiting for a decision.

Does anyone else waiting still have the change major option?

Some feel that the top 10% rule penalizes kids who go to more competitive schools. It is not uncommon for top ten admits to have lower SAT/ACT scores and GPAs than review canidates.

I do feel for those of you this year - IMO raising the bar for UT to top 7%, leveled the hammer for TAMU applicants. That combined with national attention selecting the school as" one of the top schools in the country you can actually get into" probably compounded the problem. On the plus side, the reputation of the school has soared despite the way the admissions stats are reported (including all stats, not just college station full admits - a dirty little secret if you ask me). The engineering early applicant thing added yet another level of issues. They should have done binding decisions for that vs. non-binding and the opt-in to the early action. If only theyā€™d let me run admissionsā€¦ :))

Iā€™d hire you @AGmomx2

@WhiteSwan thank you very much, that does mean a lot :slight_smile: I appreciate it

@yugioh5454 @crossfingers1 still has both buttonsā€¦

I am trying to hold out hope!!! I love my alma mater and my daughter has worked really hard to get back to Texas. Iā€™m afraid we might have some disappointment at our house later todayā€¦ I just canā€™t get over her stats she would be given PSA in Liberal Arts, engineering or business I would getā€¦

@cable0790 I agree that it does penalize those who go to more competitive schools. I think the 10% rule is a good idea, since itā€™s designed to level the playing field for more opportunity at all Texas HSā€¦ but there should be a minimum GPA and/or SAT/ACT score along with the 10%, in my opinion. Or I like the idea someone mentioned of the 10% guaranteeing an offer to one of the system schools but not necessarily the flagship. Iā€™ve seen people on here with auto admission who had considerably lower GPA and SAT than my son, and he got PSA. Just seems to me something is not right with that picture.

A&M does do what I think is a very good job of trying to balance the scale a bit on the 10% rule by allowing for automatic admissions to the university (not necessarily your major if wanting COE) to students who are in the top 25% of their class and meet certain test scores on ACT or SAT. If your school really is competitive than those test scores should not be unattainable.

Agreed. The system does seem flawed. However A&M does have excellent retention and graduaton rates. So I doubt any changes will be made.

I wonder how the new SAT influenced the process. I should of made my son take it.

As of late last night we had no changes. This morning both ā€œchange majorā€ tabs are gone. Does that most likely mean PSA?

@windfan01 we are in the same boatā€¦

@tamulover2 Howdy change major just disappeared in last 20 min. D had already decided to go to OSU so it was just my obsessive behavior that has kept checking!!

Yes, I think that more students should go into review as there are many in the top 10% who do not meet (or are not very close to) the Academic Admissions SAT/ACT standards.

I personally know someone whose niece was in the top 11% of her rural HS and was only offered PSA (Corpus, I think) probably due to her SAT being below 1100. I know of students in the top 10% of several HS in our district who have SAT lower than 1000 and gpa lower than 3.0, but if they apply to TAMU, they are automatically admitted. I know of students at another school in a district nearby who have the exact same SAT and slightly lower gpa as my daughter, BUT they are in the top 25% of their HS and they were admitted to Mays School of Business before Thanksgiving of this year.

I hope that TAMU and tu have tutoring assistance available for those students who are granted automatic admissions but are not ready for the rigor of college.

I have no idea how the review committee does the selection for admissions and I sure donā€™t want to do their job. But I can see the writing on the wall for the students from our school. It is bizarre that a gpa above 3.5 unweighted isnā€™t in the top 50% of that HS. And the State of TX loses a lot of very qualified students every year when the top 10% of our HS go to Ivy League schools and a lot of the students outside of the top 10% go elsewhere out of state (and usually get a full ride scholarship) because they donā€™t want the ā€œembarrassmentā€ of being only offered Blinn Team/Galveston/PSA to the same University that their family members graduated from or where they always hoped to attend. Just my 2 cents.

The top 10% thing excludes anyone with a score of 1000, or lower than 500 per sectionā€¦

aggie88: where does it say that the top 10% have to have more than 1000 SAT or at least above 500 per section?

@AggieMomAgain It is in the state law that the whole top 10% thing came from, called the Uniform Admission Policy. There is a link to it on the Aggie Admissions websiteā€¦ Every state university is supposed to follow it, not just an A&M thing.

Oopsā€¦With the new SAT it changed to 1090ā€¦