TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

My homeschooler was assigned a top 10% ranking. Maybe they are changing it because Academic Admits are going away next year…

@HSmomof4 , I sent you a private message :slight_smile:

What time of day do the acceptance letters start coming out? Also, regarding housing, what will be the tab we will need to go to?

Now in addition to the six tabs, when you go into my son’s profile and click the “TSI Pre Assessment Activity”, this pops up-

“Welcome to Texas A&M University, New Aggie! Now that you have decided that Texas A&M University is the school for you and to ensure that your new experience will be the best it can be, there are a few details that you should understand before registering for classes. One of these details is the Texas Success Initiative (TSI).”

I guess that’s a good sign. Ready for AIS to update and this become official.

@HSmomof4 Congrats on that ranking. We were told in a meeting this summer that they don’t rank higher than top quarter so maybe they changed their mind once the applications came in. It would definitely be something new and I think warranted since I’ve seen valedictorians of a larger (like almost 50 kids) home school program have to suffer through the review process. So yay!!! Change is good.

Does anyone have experience with this: My son is in the top 25%, but his comp score on ACT was a 29 at the time we applied. Which put him in ‘review status’? He just took his ACT’s again this past weekend. If his score increases to 30+, will he be bumped up to Academic Admit status? And if so, how long does that typically take? Thanks for any info.

@fishfamx4
Yes. If the new ACT comes back a 30 with subscores of 27 for Math and English, you son will automatically be bumped up to Acadmeic Admit as soon as A&M adds the score to his file.

How long it takes is hard to say. When he registered for the ACT, did he select to have the score automatically sent to A&M? That is the fastest way. If not, you will have to wait until the scores are released (when is that) and then log into College Board and request them to be sent to A&M and pay for it. That sometimes can take a week to a few weeks, depending on CB.

He can also take the ACT at A&M. It is scored there and can only be used for that school but it is a 24 hour turn around. Keep that in mind if he doesn’t get his 30 this go round. http://testing.tamu.edu/Exams/ACT

@txagdad
Sounds like your son is accepted but they just have not released the official verbiage to the AIS portals yet.

@Thelma2 Thank you for the info. Yes, we did have his scores marked for delivery to A&M with ACT. That is great info about taking the test at the school. We will do that if he doesn’t make it this go around…

@hurricane314 Engineering does not fill up on a first come, first serve basis, so no worries.
Do know however, that the Oct 15 deadline is arbitrary. Especially for review applicants to the university. Most auto and academic admits to the university who applied to engineering by the Oct 15 deadline will receive a decision anywhere from the first of Oct (for those who applied even earlier) through December. That said, every year since holistic review for the major came into being (Ag class 2021), there have been auto and academic admits who applied by the deadline and were deferred to January for a decision.

Review applicants for engineering receive their decisions in January-March, regardless when they apply by Dec. 1.

@HSmomof4
This is my 5th cycle going through this process and this is the first time I have ever seen a homeschool student or a student from a non ranking private or public school be assigned a top 10%. It has always been only by quarter. This is interesting. I also wonder if it has something to do with the academic admit going away. Thanks for the heads up! It is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out next cycle.

yes that is what it sounds like.

@txagdad
My daughter’s says that, too! Ugh! They are taunting us with these magical tabs and hidden messages. Haha! I guess our kids know they’re Top 10%/Academic Admits but still, there will be no uttering this out loud or celebrating until we get THE message we’re all waiting for. ?

When folks figured out the tabs thing meant a favorable admissions decision, it was like opening the end of a much anticipated Christmas present to see if it was really “it” and then having to tape it back up and waiting until Christmas Day.

Tabs in Howdy -
(Re-pasting my prior post, and also adding how to see the Major)

There are usually 3 tabs in Howdy, they become 6 tabs when an Acceptance Letter is imminent.

To see the tabs -
Log into Howdy, and at the top of the page (above the content) you will see menu tabs. On a mobile device, the tabs are menu drop-down categories at the top left of the screen (3 tabs if still under review, 6 for upcoming acceptances)
The 6 tabs will be labeled: Home, Applicant, My Record, My Finances, Student Life, My Howdy.

For those with 6 tabs, you can also see the assigned Major -
Click on My Profile on the page content, toward the top below tabs.
The College/Major will be under the “Curriculum, Hours & GPA” section.

I was surprised. He would have been an academic admit, but the top 10% was a nice.

@Thelma2
Great analogy about the Christmas present, lol. So true!! ?

Does anyone here know the yield rates between auto-admit, academic-admit, and review-admit? I would guess they vary, perhaps significantly, but I’m not sure in which direction.

@franknd
Here are some prior year stats that @BlueBayouAZ and @Thelma2 shared on the 2023 thread, entry #6029 -
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2088998-tamu-class-of-2023-admission-decisions-discussion-p302.html

49,700 total apps
26.4% - Top 10% 13,100
10.9% - Academic 5,400
4.7% - Review full 2350
6.0% - Review Alternative 3000
(23,850 total or 48% admitted - 23,733 or 56.8% admitted in 2018)

41,760 total apps
26.7% - Top 10% 11,159
11.1% - Academic 4,646
9.9% - Review full 4,115
9.1% - Review Alternative 3,813

27.6% -PSA 11,518
15.6% - Denied 6,509

The yield rates are not broken down like that. They do Top 10% , First Generation, and Total. And those seem to hover in the mid-upper 40s. https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa18-incl-Galveston.aspx

I do think that the Blinn Team yield is less. A couple years back it seemed like TEAM/EAB was offered to several thousand - but only around 500 took part.

@HSMOMof4 hey since y’all are the first, can you tell us exactly what it reads in ranking section of AIS?