TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

1. e.g. 36,000 applied 24,480 admitted 11,261 yield. Lots of admits don't enroll. Figures vary somewhat from source to source but the gist is the same. I have never seen a breakdown of routes though. IMO that makes the stats unhelpful.

@BlueBayouAZ See # 3618 - what say you? :slight_smile:

@SECDad335 The admission % is based off of how many students are accepted divided by the number of applicants. It’s not the number of students who accept the offer. So, if TAMU had 50K applications, they’ll accept around 60% of those students (and that number does include all of the Galveston, Blinn Team, McAllen, and PSA offers too) A&M considers all of those secondary offers an “offer/admittance”. IMO including those numbers really inflates the acceptance rate. But that’s the way they do it. I believe a school like TAMU probably has about a 45-50% enrollment rate of students accepting their admissions offers. I’m sure their number is published somewhere.

@SECDad335 @mantasaur That included ALL pathways. 21K/35K → 60% acceptance rate. To simplify, based on the 20K admits, they are looking at a ideal 50% yield for a 10K enrollment class.

This is from 2018 so the numbers will be a little different this year, but the math is the same.

BTW, there was 45K applicants but only 35K completed applications.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/profile

Admitted is what they offer. Class size is Enrolled. Not everyone admitted will enroll. That’s why you may have heard “Yield”.

TAMU seems to play the opposite of the rankings game in appearing less, rather than more selective. I think the overall optic is that there is a way in for many students. I think the only caveat is that the OOS applicants won’t be wise to the bigger picture and thus that particular yield is really low. Texans would have a better clue as to non cstat options.

Just got insight from a TAMU Admissions Officer, decisions for TEAB and TEAM should be rolling out by the end of this week. They’re following last years schedule and they’re a bit ahead on time. No clue why everyone is thinking decisions will end up in April, they won’t. Keep your fingers crossed, acceptances seem to be on the horizon.

well, waitlisted applicants might hear between feb-april, since people start declining their offers later on.

ive still been astonished by the fact that someone already got into the engineering academy with a 1210 sat, 580 math subscore, and top 10% out of only 82 students. admissions is so unfair

@Sybylla @YankeeTexan33 The breakdowns are here:

https://provost.tamu.edu/Provost/media/Assets/pdfs-essentials/TexasA-Messentials_Freshman-Overview_ew.pdf

and here:

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/profile

@arkeldi - if the student is in the top 10% then he is automatic admit. You should feel sorry for him that he got academy instead of full offer. (Still a very good offer, but pretty sure he expected full offer since he is top 10%)

The stats you references is not my student.
My Daughter had a lot of friends who were in, at least, the top 6% and didn’t get into both their major at UT-Austin. My DD felt bad for her friends, as most of them did gave up a lot on social life to study and spent lots of time participating in the school EC’s.

Unfortunately, no one told the students that being automatically admitted into UT or TAMU does not mean, getting admitted to your major automatically.
This seems to be a little known secret, that most students were confused on, and I wished I knew about it.

My daughter learned a very hard lessons this year.

We can only think of the “if only” and the how it is “sooo not fair.” This is the advise I gave my daughter, “hold your head up high, she got an offer from TAMU academy and She did get direct major offers in two university that is also pretty high ranking and respected by companies. So, either way, I am still proud of her for being accepted.”

I think that TAMU and UT at least have a path to get in if you really want to attend the schools if you are in-state.

Hope you have another school as a plan B. We are still deciding, but TAMU is 90% for my daughter to accept now since they have a much better program fro her intended major. Unless of course, if one of the IVIES come knocking on our door :wink:

Also, this is the internet, there is no way to fact check on a poster’s reply. So
I would take the stats with a grain of salt.

I am almost 100% sure PSA is NOT included in this number. It is not an acceptance to be a part of TAMU main campus but a system school. Galveston and McAllen are full admits on different campus. The provost link provided shows the percentage splits.

And that link that was so helpful for fall 2018 numbers shows that Top 10% ENROLLED was 51%! That’s crazy.

That second link is for high school class of 2014 so although it shows PSA, it’s not relevant in the provost link for HS 2018 students.

Colhopeful728- yes, 10% is automatic admit, but it doesn’t mean your other scores necessary support some specific field of study. Example- if your SAT math score is low and you don’t show Cal readiness, why you should be admitted to Engineering main campus? The same goes with English major. If you are not there with (example) AP classes or high enough SAT scores? Same with Art or any other field. I think that holistic approach is good. 10% is not everything.

@Colhopeful728 i strongly believe that just because the student was in the top 10% out of 85 people doesnt mean they deserve automatic admission to engineering at CS. i mean a 580 math sub score for engineering or engineering is extremely, extremely low. i dont think i should feel bad that they didnt get full admit to college station with those scores
 there are people on here and on reddit with 1300/1350 +scores and top 25%+ rank that are still waiting on a decision. for me as example, i have a 29 act, 34 math sub, top 25% and 161/ 653 students, im also an IB student with many leadership positions— i will most likely get PSA at this point, although a&m was meant to be a safety school

What is TEAB? Is the that Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan?

True
 or some students just thought because they were auto-admit, that they didn’t have to study as much for the SAT, since they thought they would get into their major automatically also.

All, I am saying is that, lots of my daughter friends are learning a very hard lesson. They should have researched more to find that UT and TAMU review holistically, and holistically mean all test scores, including type of classes (AP vs non AP), although in Texas major cities, you pretty much have to have advance classes to make it into the top 6% or 10%. This is what our city is, if you don’t have advance classes, you will never make it to the top 6% or 10%.

They were just drilled into their heads that being the top 10% or top 6% that they didn’t have to worry as much. Since no one, ever told the students that your major is not guaranteed.

We thought UT and TAMU were safety schools for my daughter. Didn’t realize it was much harder than we thought.

Correct 
 look at the Admission Categories for the description of the programs in the provost link.

I believe that @JaceyK is asking me to weigh in on this with stats I have already provided.

One thing to keep in mind is the prep-scholar, greatschools dot net, naviance, and other analysis of federal data for colleges and high schools lags behind a couple of years. So what you are seeing for college admit rates is probably based off the 2017 common data set. Definitely not 2019 (class of 2023). They are probably using a combo of 3-5 years of data. So the trending of tightened admissions at TAMU is not showing up yet on published aggregate data sites. So we are talking probably 2013-2017. TAMU was increasing its freshman class size including 2017 - when there were over 11,000 freshmen. 2018 and 2019 have been around 10,500 - with TAMUs stated goal of being at 10,000.

And make no mistake - your chance of getting admitted to engineering at TAMU or an academy full admit is more likely than any other major on the TAMU campus. There are just more spaces. And TAMU is transparent about their initiative. It is the 25 by 25 https://engineering.tamu.edu/25by25/25-by-25-report.html

And looking at the data from 2018 and 2019 - you see that admissions overall reduced significantly last year.

There is no way to sugar coat the significant drop in admits for the class of 2023.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa19-incl-Galveston.aspx

I’ve broken down the numbers from the past two cycles

Total applied 42,014
Total admitted 23,840 - or 56.74%

Total applied 35,566
Total admitted 23,694 or 66.62%

Let that sink in.
A full 10% less students were admitted last cycle. We knew that was happening. There were thousands more people that applied and they did not increase the freshman class size.

Here is it by college 2019/2018
Ag 44% 53%
Arch 37% 46%
Business Admin 38% 48%
Education 41% 48%
Engineering 74% 85%
Geo 60% 67%
Gen Studies 100% (But that is the Gateway etc kids)
Liberal Arts 47% 56%
Science 53% 62%
Vet 68% 72%
Public Health 52% 57%