TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

PSA is absolutely, 100%, NOT included in the admit numbers.

The admit numbers would be 98.46% of completed applications in 2018 if PSA was included. In 2018 there were 6509 denials. Based on a reported 41,760 total applications and 35,802 completed applications - that leaves you with 5958 incomplete application. So in 2018 there were only 551 people who completed their application that were outright denied admission or PSA to TAMU.

Iā€™ve read in a couple of spots that approx 49000 applications were received for fall 2020ā€¦and the total admitted will remain about the same around 23,500. High percentage of these applicants are presumably well qualified. With this type of scenario it is no wonder that they are moving to a more holistic approach to gain a more diverse and well rounded student body. No system is fair and no system is perfect, unfortunately someone always get left out.

Regarding not knowing about the risk of not being admitted to majorā€¦ @Colhopeful728 Iā€™d make an appointment with the high school counseling staff and discuss this kind of glaring oversight. I donā€™t know why itā€™d be a big secret, or glaringly neglected. UT sure doesnā€™t keep it a secret. Itā€™s on their website. At every single admissions tour they bring that up (during the admissions presentation). Counselors should be repeating that as well. Iā€™d bring that up, especially if youā€™ve got younger kids, or friends with younger kids who will be attending that school.

At my studentā€™s high school, it was drilled into them that theyā€™d better put a ton of effort into their apps if they wanted a shot at their 1st choice major (most of the top decile seem to want impacted majors and/or honors programs). As a matter of fact, the head counselor parrots a story that gets told by UT AOs (during tours), where some kids are brazen enough to indicate in essays or short answer responses that they donā€™t need to put effort into the app, but theyā€™re AAs. In one version of this, a kid (The UT AO, swore it was true during a campus visit) wrote, ā€œHa Ha, Iā€™m an auto admit, you have to let me in.ā€ Admissions wrote back, ā€œHa Ha, we have to let you in, but we donā€™t have to admit you to your major,ā€ and the kid got dumped into some catchall undergad undecided major in COLA, when the kid wanted engineering. ā† It may have just been a cautionary tale, but the AO insisted it really happened, LOL! Maybe they should add that to every admissions presentation before the tour.

So we still have hope of getting an offer? Top 25%;ā€¦ 28 ACT

I donā€™t think wait list in big public schools work like some here think it does, it is not a one out one in scenario. Yield management is a science. Wait lists are favoring the schools. They are no help to the students IMO.

@BlueBayouAZ I stand corrected. I really thought I had read that in more than one spot, but obviously not. Thanks for pointing that out.

Iā€™d love to know if your insight from a TAMU Admissions Officer is someone you actually know or just someone you got on the phone when you called in. The reason I wonder is because I was one of the parents told by an Admissions Officer, last Monday, that we may have to wait until early April for a TEAB decision from the offers made on 1/31 to Engineering folks. I truly hope what you were told is accurate! Weā€™d love to have an answer so we can move on and enjoy whatā€™s left of her senior year!

It gets confusing because there are pie charts circulating for the admission decisions that include all the applications and how all applications decisions broke down (those include PSA and denied) and then there are pie charts for how the admit categories break down (those only look the decisions for full admits and full admit pathways - denials and PSA not included.)

I was at Aggieland Saturday and spoke with two different admissions reps who said that they fully intended to have all decisions out by Feb 8th but admittedly were running behind. They said that they are working diligently to get all apps processed and answered by the end of the month and that a majority of the decisions have been made.

They also made it point in the admissions presentations to say that each and every application is read and reviewed by multiple people.

In the Calling All Juniors session I sat in on (my son graduates next year) they were very emphatic in letting us know that if you want Mays Business, apply EARLY because it is first come first served and fills up FAST. They also spent a lot of time explaining the Engineering admissions process and made sure parents and prospective students understood that you get admitted to the school firstā€¦then the Engineering Dept takes over to review each applicant.

On a side note, I donā€™t know how anyone can consider UT to be a safety, even if you are top 6%. (I think TAMU is fast approaching that same position) Every counselor, college fair, admissions rep, Internet forumā€¦even their own websites makes that abundantly clear.

@Momof3B small correction and itā€™s common. I just found this out last year. But engineering doesnā€™t review freshman. Only admissions. Even after the accept them into Tamu they are the same ones (maybe not same exact person) that admits for engineering.

Not splitting hairs, just thought the same thing until I was told by admissions differently.

Oh wow, I must have misunderstood! I could have sworn she said that engineering dept reviews after admissions accepts the applicantā€¦but then again, they were throwing so much information out at us lol, it was a lot to take in ! My son is going to be applying to Maysā€¦Iā€™ll worry about engineering when it comes time for my freshman twins to apply lol!

It would be nice (and Iā€™ve been guilty) when posting, to state engineering or non-engineering. The dates and processes very between the 2. Sometimes Iā€™ll read something and then realize that may not apply to usā€¦

@SECDad335 By those admission rates, I would have thought my son would have received some type of admission (not PSA) with 12.4% rank and 29 ACT (28 English and Math). But alas, we were disappointed. Thatā€™s in past now though. He will be there this summer.

@JaceyK Do you mind me asking what major your son applied for? His stats are pretty good. Thatā€™s why I am wondering what he put in for his major.

Any updates on Engineering department scholarships being awarded?

Iā€™ll answer for @JaceyK - BIMS. And it was the last round of PSAs we saw. Donā€™t recall the exact date - but I believe it was late in the second week of March maybe the third week.

The number of people waiting had dwindled. My daughter got PSA (Viz) the first week of March. She was 28 with 29M and 27E sub scores. But her rank was second quarter.

Hi! What are non cstat options?

Hi! What are non cstat options? My son is an OOS.

@mivasquez I think you will need to provide more information for anyone to comment. What major? Did you receive a PSA decision?

Can someone help me understand what the TAMUS Academic Alliance at Rellis is? Is this PSA or something else? I am researching but hoping someone on here can help me understand in lay terms what my son was just offered. Thanks!