TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Can anyone help me with the gateway admissions process? I know that TAMU chooses who can be in gateway, but what kind of stats do kids typically have in able to get a gateway opportunity as opposed to PSA/PTA?

@kreed23 Gateway are usually kids with extenuating circumstances (i.e. death in the immediate family, illness, etc) that may have continued to lower stats.

FYIā€¦sent you a DM.

Gateway is the rarest of alternative admission decisions. And in the past couple of cycles they seem to have gotten back to what it was intended for. Extreme hardship cases. Like a death, injury, homelessness. I donā€™t recall the numbers - but it is not statistically significant when compared to other admission decisions. Unless you have something extreme that has occurred - I would not bother thinking about this as a possibility.

Gpa weighted: 4.0426 unweighted: 3.5106
Rank 108/726 top 14.8%
Major: kinesiology -basic exercise physiology
Submitted application 09-15-19
Ais : 09-18-19
Test scores sat 1200 (math 530 ERBW 670)
Holistic (review) admit
Accepted : 12/05/19
And yes all my tabs were at the top
-i did put interest in Corps
Future career : army anesthesiologist

You donā€™t think a review candidate will get in with a 1100 if they were top 10.8 percent? Thatā€™s the exact position Iā€™m in. I applied for BIMS and was involved with health classes that is allowing me to get my CMA certification before I graduate. Iā€™m also in NHS for 3 years and played a sport for 2. I have Been working since I was 15 and I also have a good amount of volunteer service. Honest answer is the best answer.

@Jodievillllllll I know this process is so hard. I cannot say for sure but these were my daughterā€™s stats last year and she was offered PSA. SAT 1280, ACT 27 4.8 WGPA/ 3.87 GPA; missed 1st quarter by .2 and was placed in 2Q. She had BIMS 1st choice; Biology 2nd. Additionally, much like you she participated in the Health Science program for 2 years. She obtained her CNA and EKG certifications. She was also drill team for 3 years. There was another example last year where someone had a 1360 but missed sub scores 29 ACT and got PSA he was also BIMS and opted for PSA at TAMUCC.

All that being said, last year is not necessarily indicative of what will happen this year. However, I would not expect to hear until March. With your SAT on the lower side it will likely be tough to gain acceptance but donā€™t give up hope there are so many paths to A&M! My daughter decided to opt out of other Universities and got straight to Blinn and will apply for transfer this January. She is very happy with this decision and will likely soon be an Aggie. If you really want to be an Aggie, I would check out the alternative path options so that you can evaluate for yourself what you may be able to do should the decision not go the way you hope.

BIMS does not have a PSA path but this link will show you what options are available so you can see what alternative degree programs they have such as Chemistry.
http://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA/

PTA give you a guaranteed path if you meet all the requirements.
https://admissions.tamu.edu/PTA

Direct Transfer is also an option (this is what DD chose) and allows more flexibility to use AP and DC credits toward requirements. However, is not guaranteed.
http://admissions.tamu.edu/transfer/apply

In any case, I would talk to an advisor about the different options so that they can provide good advice for your specific situation.

If you donā€™t mind me askingā€¦what is your desired end goal (i.e. med school?)

In any case, wishing you the very best and donā€™t worryā€¦it will all work out!

Hi guys, I have done a few chance me befores but my stats are now solid, so here we go.
Junior at pretty good public school In Frisco
Challenging courseload- All APā€™s and PAP courses for the most part.
3.46 unweightedd GPA
4.57 Weighted out of 6
34 ACT- 31 Math, 35 Science, 34 English, 34 Reading
6 APs through Junior year, mostly Bs
Ecs- Varsity Football, Track, FFA, NHS, 100 hours CC
Geosciences Major

Thanks!

@Tunnelbear99 Fantastic stats! You should be in great shape for applications in the summer. They are getting rid of the academic admit next year so unless you are in the Top 10% then you will be in Holistic with everyone else. Knowing you are in Frisco then the ranking is tough depending on which of the 11 HSā€™s you are in :slight_smile: Hopefully you will fall in Top 25%ā€¦I know they the schools donā€™t provide a rank but TAMU will assign you one anyway.

Great job!!! Good luck next year!

@aggiemomhelp on the AIS, next to ā€œClass Rankā€, it has ā€œ(2nd Quarter)ā€. Does that mean Iā€™ve been identified as 2nd Quarter in my HS class? I know for a fact that Iā€™m not 1st Quarter, but my HS only does a weighted GPA, and I took the toughest classes - not making the best grades. Again, my ACT is a 34 and my SAT is a 1450 (neither super scored). Iā€™m trying to figure out if I have a shot at TAMU College Station (maybe Blinn TEAM), or if Iā€™ll be offered a slot where I study at Tarleton or Galveston, etc first before going to CS. Your thoughts? My HS counselor told my father that my test scores would only help a little and only with some colleges.

Just realized we have almost the exact same stats. I am 2Q too. I go to independence aka Indiapendence ?

@SlimJim001 Yes, youā€™ve been placed in 2nd quarter. Your test scores are amazing though, especially your ACT. I think that will be totally in your favor, and not just a little. Depending on your course rigor and how they view it, they could take that into consideration for ranking being lower than your aptitude reflect in the testing. I feel you could get full admit or worst case Team. Galveston is a completely different application process unless youā€™re in engineering. The deadline to apply there is in March (1st I believe). Tarleton would be for PSA. I donā€™t think thatā€™s what youā€™ll get though.

What is y our major choice?

are there still spots left in mays? i feel crushed :confused:

Iā€™m wanting to go to PA school after I get my bachelors.

@AggieMomhelp My 1st choice major was/is Business in Mays (I know thatā€™s not super likely) and 2nd voice is Economics w/probably a double major in French. Iā€™ll have a total of 12 APs when I graduate, so the lesser grades were in AP or pre AP classes.

@Jodievillllllll That is a great path!!! If you have a preferred PA school that you are interested in you might want to reach out to their advisors and ask if they have any issues with classes being taken at a community college. The reason I mention this is that for Medical School they do not want candidates to take the core science classes at CC. But that very well might not be the case at all for PA school. Would help if you by chance end up taking an alternative path and have to chose between PSA (4-yr university) or PTA/Transfer (Community College). :slight_smile:

@kreed23 That is stated specifically for my son who is under Engineering Review. Others might chime in on other majors who are waiting and what their status indicated.

Sorry, I would think that Mays it full. There are reports of academic admits (applied October/November) not getting their first choice of Mays. It has been filled in November for at least the past two years.

Last year our regional office was up front with me when I called in November to ask if Visualization was full. They told me Viz and Mays were full.

cool, 100k in debt here i come?

(posting again)
Hi guys, I have done a few chance me befores but my stats are now solid, so here we go.
Junior at pretty good public school In Frisco
Challenging courseload- All APā€™s and PAP courses for the most part.
3.46 unweightedd GPA
4.57 Weighted out of 6
34 ACT- 31 Math, 35 Science, 34 English, 34 Reading
6 APs through Junior year, mostly Bs
Ecs- Varsity Football, Track, FFA, NHS, 100 hours CC
Geosciences Major

Thanks!

Have any OOS Review Candidates heard anything yet?