TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

I’m not sure I understand. There are quality in state public options. Please do research and look past the “big two.” There are plenty of successful graduates from many schools in Texas. There is no need to put yourself in a financial bind.

i’m already in a financial bind

When did you apply: October, 2019
Class Rank: 162/549
SAT: 1400 (reading and writing - 730; math - 670)
ACT: 32 (English - 32; math - 28; reading - 34; science - 33)
Review Admit
Public Health
What are my chances of being admitted? What academic scholarships might I recieve?

@acate2020 decent chance with those test scores but rank hurts you. Almost no chance at academic scholarships. Sorry.

I just got off the phone with our local admissions office and was told that students that qualified for the 10/15 Engineering Early Action deadline (who are still awaiting a decision) will hear something mid December (possibly 12/13). Fingers crossed!!!

When I applied: 11/21
Class Rank: 105/591 (first quarter)
SAT: 1250- 650 Reading, 600 Math
ACT: 28- 29 English, 26 Math, 28 for Reading and Science
No decision yet
I am a review admit
Major: Psychology

What would be my chances of getting in?

@alyssa2525 The ACT is pretty decent. Ranking at 17% is good. My son was 14% and 28 ACT a couple of years ago and got in in December round. Last year was much more competitive and a 28 didn’t get most students in. Too early to tell the competitiveness just yet. Waiting on a big round of holistic reviews to get in so we can compare some stats to last year! Hang in there.

@aggiehelpformoms thank you. I’ve also been heavily involved in my schools drill team and I’m an officer this year, HOSA (a health science club), a part of Soccer Sweeties and Diamond Dolls (basically we go to all their home games, get them goodies on game days, and decorate their locker rooms) and I’m the president for both this year, I’m part of a bible study group where I’m a leader for it, an officer and member for Texas Future Dance Educators, I’m an ensemble member and dance captain of my schools Musical this year, and I got my certificate to be a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant last year. Will these things help a lot in their decision or is it mainly just scores and rank?

They say scores and rank are about 50% of holistic review. Though, particularly last year, it seemed like rank and scores were a large factor.

Other factors beyond extra curricular activities include 1st generation student, 20th Century Scholar school.

According to the common data set (C7)
https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/CDS_2018-2019.aspx

Academic they say Rigor, Class Rank, test scores are very important (they say GPA too - but I believe that is only pertaining to assigning rank to non-ranking schools), Essay is important, and recommendations are considered.

Non-academic - extra curricular activities and talent/ability (think student athlete, band member, Corps) are very important. First generation, geographical residence, state residency, volunteer work and work experience are important. Character/personal qualities and level of interest are considered.

Yes, I think those will factor in nicely to your application!!!

@aggiehelpformoms That stinks that you can’t log in. I had a bit of an issue at first yesterday but then was able to change my password and use my email address. Hope you are able to get it resolved.

@aGGieENGiNeeR @AggieMomhelp Hello, everyone! So, I was recently admitted to TAMU under auto-admit (Top 10%), but my AIS still shows that I’m under review for engineering. For context, I applied after the October 15th deadline (Nov 1st, to be exact). SAT 1210 (Math 580, I know I screwed up my SAT score). Top 10% (7th out of 84) at an early college high school (graduating early with enough credits for an Associate’s of Science). I realize that the decisions are supposed to come out in the middle of January, but I just wanted to see some stats of others who have been admitted into the program. TAMU is my first choice, and it would break my heart not to get into their engineering program.

I’ve been following this thread for a couple months. My daughter was an auto admit, so this is my first experience with a review admission. The waiting is very stressful. My son applied to both campuses CStat and Galveston. He had a fairly immediate acceptance into the Galveston campus, but still waiting on main campus. Will the fact that he has an acceptance to Galveston impact his consideration for main campus in any way? He’s an Eagle Scout, interested in the Corp and military career, just missed the top quarter, strong AP classes, diagnosed as dyslexic, so that did affect his reading SAT, math SAT was strong, included the challenges of overcoming his learning challenges in his essay. Thoughts from those in the know are appreciated.

@AGMOM87 What are his test scores? Galveston acceptance shouldn’t negatively affect him. They will say it doesn’t at least. Good news is, he can join the Corps there and change his major after freshman year to a major up in cstat as long as he meets the change of major curriculum. There’s no application unless Mays or Engineering. What major is he looking at?

@thesaraimartinez That SAT will probably put you into an alternative option like Blinn Academy or Galveston. Also applying after the early deadline put you at a disadvantage. Being automatic, it would have been better to apply as early as possible.

I’m with you @tunnelbear99 as I am also at a high school in Frisco (“The Orange School,” for safety purposes.) Fortunately, we live in the fastest growing city in America and we are blessed to go to great high schools with lots of resources and other students who want to go to top-tier schools. Unfortunately, if you don’t take all AP classes than it is difficult to be top 25%. I have similar extracurriculars and scores as you and my GPA is a 3.7 UW and a 4.7 W and I am a senior who is in the review category. I missed the top quarter ranking by 1 person before FISD stopped ranking and my GPA went up and still was assigned 2Q by TAMU. Make sure to study hard and give it all you have before you apply next year! Also- impressive ACT score! Good luck!

@tamuletmein I feel ya! Last year my daughter missed 1Q by one person too with a 4.87W GPA. So freaking frustrating! She was at the Frisco (Green school) presumably down the street from you. :slight_smile: Her ACT was not quite as solid as yours though. Best of luck! Keep us posted!

FYI for lurking jr’s, next year Tamu will no longer offer academic admit.

@AggieDreamin Oh yes, the green school! I have so many friends that go there! Did your daughter end up getting into TAMU? Or did she end up going somewhere else? I hope she is happy wherever she ended up! :slight_smile:

@alyssa2525 I also applied Public Health as well! I hope we hear back soon :slight_smile:

@tamuletmein she was offered PSA. Could have gone to Baylor, Tech or Arkansas but wanted to be in College Station so she chose to do a year at Blinn. Lives across the street from TAMU in an apartment and is rockin’ her classes this year and having a good time. She will apply for transfer in Jan for next Fall
and should have no problem. It is all working out even if it wasn’t direct. ?