TAMU Class of 2024 - Admission Decisions/Discussion

Sure,
I applied to TAMU on Sep 25, 2019 and got admitted to the university on Oct 1, 2019. Since then I have been in review for the college of engineering and have been desperately awaiting a decision.

My AIS page has said “You have been admitted to Engineering Review (UNEN). Your NSC Registration will be delayed until the College of Engineering review has been completed. Files completed by October 15th will be reviewed and a decision notification posted here by mid-December” this whole time.

For reference:

Rank: top 19% (top Quarter) at highly competitive high school.

GPA: 4.3/5.0 weighted

SAT: 1430

Member of NHS, FBLA, Student Council, Science National Honor Society, Dance.

Secretary of Science National Honor Society

Taken AP Chem, AP Calc AB, Ap bio, AP Physics, AP CS1, AP CS principles, Pre Calc Honors, PreAp Algebra 2, PreAP Geometry, and many other non stem AP classes.

What is your math sub score? Any AP results?

@glitzypink you will get some type of offer. If they deny you Flat out for engineering, they’ll ask you to choose different major. You are showing good readiness for math and science so I’m sure you will get full admit to cstat or worst case, blinn engineering (2 classes at Tamu and 2 at blinn). They will send out full offers soon and then it will be a couple of waves for Galveston, McAllen and blinn engineering. Know these options just in case so you can select your preference. If it’s like last year, it’ll be first come first served for those slots. Meaning you will not want to wait to make a decision.

But again… I’m pretty sure you’ll get full admission.

I’m sure this question has been answered before but I cannot seem to find it in this forum. Can someone list the 6 tabs that will appear in Howdy?

@acate2020

1. Home | 2) Applicant | 3) My Record | 4) My Finances | 5) Student Life | 6) My Howdy

Also, when the 6 tabs appear, you can look under “My Profile”, click on “Time to Degree” and see a current summary of your admission information. This showed up (with the 6 tabs) before AIS updated to show my student had been admitted.

Son applied Dec 1 - Engineering (Aerospace)
His school doesn’t rank
Act: Composite 31: Math 31 Science 33 Stem 32 English 28 Reading 31
Gpa: 3.5 (APs - Lit, US History, Physics 2, Calc AB and Econ)
Significant Volunteer/Community Service
Senior Mentor

I believe he put he was only interested in College Station
TAMU is his number 1 but has been accepted Embry-Riddle and a couple of others so he has options
Trying to prepare him for a plan B

PS - This is harder than my other son being in Marine bootcamp over the summer!!

I have a question about gateway acceptances. I know that it is mainly for students who have gone through tragedies, and I posted about this before in regards to my daughter, but I totally forgot to mention that her whole essay was about her house burning down (her dads house, we are divorced) her sophomore year of high school. It was a pretty traumatic experience, lost 2 pets, everything they had was gone, and lived in a sort of crappy rental for over a year.
Would this qualify her for gateway?

When the question was asked in the application about if there were any events in her life that made focusing on school hard (paraphrasing, don’t know the exact context) she wrote about her dad and I being divorced, not the house fire. Her whole essay was about the fire though, so would that affect chances at gateway?

I’ll repost her stats of that helps:
Applied early August
GPA- 3.9/4.0
SAT - 1090 - math 510 English 580
Rank - 29% - 2nd quarter
Review applicant
Major - public health, biology
Very good grades, 35 college credit hours, 3.1 college GPA, 300+ volunteer & work hours, in national technical honor society

So… do they release decisions every day or just every Friday? Thank you!

In the past, releases happen in groups or waves. Not necessarily in Friday’s only but that does seem to happen more.

Anyone heard about Communications and or International studies? I have seen a lot of Engineering and Biology applicants accepted. Daughter has been been in review for awhile. Just curious…

@JewelW27 I applied International Studies and haven’t heard anything ye, I’ve also been in review for a while. I think the first wave of review admits will come out this week. Fingers crossed! Good luck to your daughter.

@kreed23

Wow, what a horrible experience for your daughter. Something like that would have a negative effect on any student and tragic events are what has led to Gateway offers in the past, at least those who have posted on CC. I don’t know anyone with an actual Gateway offer.

I sure hope that TAMU admissions takes her experience into consideration. As to whether how explaining the event in her essay versus explaining it in the “extra question” will affect their decision, I don’t really know. Hopefully, just having the info will help. I have heard that several people review each application, hopefully her entire application will touch someone’s heart and they will pull for her. I have my fingers and toes crossed for her! :slight_smile:

Be aware that the Gateway program can be expensive because of taking required Summer classes, dorm costs, missing planned family vacations, etc. Search CC, I think someone mentioned the cost to their family.

I am eternally grateful for the person who read my daughters application and offered her Blinn-TEAM for Fall 2017. My daughter was a Duke TIPS student in the 7th grade, with a perfect math score on the test to qualify her for TIPs, but she suffered a Level 2 concussion at school in November of her 8th grade. She had to be dropped out of Algebra 1 and missed 2 months of school, she had to work to recover from whiplash symptoms, regain her ability to balance and to retrain her eyes to focus on the same line in order to read a line of print. She finished the year with special accomodations. Through a lot hard work and a lot of PT, she recovered enough to score in the “normal” range so she didn’t have acccomodations in HS.

But her first few years of HS were ROUGH as she still had trouble focusing/some memory issues/didn’t regain her ease with Math, only went up to Pre-Cal/had a very deep sleep need/difficulty balancing, etc. all of which affected her grades ( one C in each semester of a couple of years, otherwise As and Bs) and eventually her Senior class placement. She was in the 53% of her HS class, had a gpa of 3.5 unweighted/4.7 weighted, SAT 1250 (670 English 580 Math), ACT 27, 4 years in the same EC plus she was on a competative team 45 minutes away outside of school in her Senior year (I drove her, we were there all day on Saturday & Sunday plus at least 6 hours on Monday and Tuesdays after school, LOL, I don’t know how we kept up that schedule), NO volunteering hours because she had no extra time and no leadership roles. But she did learn a lot of great time management skills and she talked about that in an essay. She just wrote a few words about the concussion/recovery/effect on her HS grades in the “extra question”, and only at my demand. She didn’t want to be “different” but I insisted that she explain why she got off to a slow start in HS and to explain why she was in the 3Q of her class.

Blinn-TEAM turned out to be the perfect place for her. :slight_smile: She has finished that program, is now a Junior at TAMU and just finished her first “full TAMU” semester of 16 hours and earned a 4.0! She only had one B in her TAMU classes during her Blinn-TEAM years. She is planning on grad school!

Good luck to your daughter, keep us posted.

Applied early December

Biomedical Engineering
4.0 unweighted(4.35 weighted)
34 ACT
1580 on SAT

what are my chances?

@AggieMomAgain so sorry to hear about your daughter, but so glad it worked out for her in the end! Hopefully someone will see something in my daughters application and give her a good offer. Thanks for your help!

Does anyone knows how difficult it is to get into kinesiology or BIMS? ACT is 26, gpa 3.5, cheer captain, church youth group leader, parents both military, applied in early July. lots of extracurriculars including HOSA and on HS executive committee. In second quarter of class at very competitive high school. Don’t think chances are that great, but I am holding out hope.

For those of you painfully waiting I feel for all of you. My son and I were in your boat last year. For timing purposes, he was the first wave of Blinn TEAM/Galveston/McAllen and his offer (review/holistic) came out Jan 28. I think there were full offers the week before. After the Blinn TEAM/Galveston/McAllen offers came out I think there might have been a very few full offers but for all intents and purposes, it was just alternative offers after that. On a side note, my son chose the Blinn Team offer, lives on campus in the Engineering LLC dorm, and has the full Aggie experience. We have saved about $1700 in tuition (one semester) and he made a 4.0 in TAMU and Blinn this last fall. It has definitely worked out well for him and he has taken a big drink of the maroon kool aid.

I applied on November 26th, 2019. Our school doesn’t have a class rank. I didn’t submit my SAT, only my ACT, which was a composite 33. Superscored a 34, but I only submitted my first test, with a 30 in Math and Science, a 34 in Reading and a 36 in English. I accidentally found out I’d been admitted through academic admit in early December. I applied for Engineering, Computer Engineering & Electrical, I’m just waiting to hear back from them on that.

How did you “accidently find out” you were admitted in early Dec.?

Applied 11/24

Biology Major
3.31 unweighted(5.8 weighted)
25 ACT (27 super score)
1200 on SAT
160+ volunteer hours + many extracurricular activities
27 hours between dual credit and extra classes at community college. (3.0 GPA)

Still in review. :frowning: And nervous!

@louanddeanna my son is in the same exact boat waiting on holistic review. Only good news we guess is that no news is good news, per the Holistic Review discussion forum. He chose Kinesiology as his 1st choice major and University Studies (SEAL) as his 2nd choice.

Applied: July
Major: Kinesiology
GPA: 3.6 on 4.0; 4.67 on 4.0+ weighted
SAT: 1200
15 hours college credit hours through community college (3.0)
Varsity Soccer
Attended TAMU Camp BUILD this past summer
Well rounded with community service, leadership and LOR from core teachers

Wishing everyone best of luck and answers SOON! Gig 'em! :slight_smile: