TAMU Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

No its not. The truth is that the state is huge and still growing population wise. When you only have two flagship schools, space is limited…period. UT doesn’t have any place to grow on their main campus other than UP. A&M’s campus is growing to accommodate demand, and at the same time, alumni complain that there are too many kids in College Station.

The truth is that Texas State should continue to beef up their engineering program. UTD is doing just this. The majority of the kids from my daughter’s high school head to UTD when Texas caps them, and as a result, it’s turning into a GREAT engineering school. A&M bringing up Galveston and McAllen are amazing as well.

And let me be clear, I’m not making excuses for either school. Both my husband and I are Ags, along with my father in law and sister in law. My daughter wants to do Animal Science, and in reality, she likely will get PSA’ed and be forced to change her major as a result. So she’s already decided that if she gets PSA’ed, she’ll just go to Texas Tech, who gave her a decision within 2 weeks of applying. She also was accepted into Oregon State, Colorado State, and Oklahoma State…all in her major of choice within weeks of applying. They are tossing a ton of money at her and pressuring her to make a choice now.

It’s hard, as a parent, to encourage her. She wants to just know so she can go ahead and make plans to go to tech. She wants to be an Ag, but doesn’t feel like she should conform to something that she’s not.

I’ll also add that other schools know this pattern of behaviour by Texas and A&M. That’s why they apply the pressure.

3 Likes

We submitted App ON Oct. 15th - Scholarship app says received Oct. 15th - Admissions Ap say Oct. 16th - (Both submitted at exact same time) What the heck is that all about? Still waiting - no change as of this morning. Getting antsy as she has other acceptances that are pushing for registration and housing selection. Also - Many scholarships are DUE by end of Jan but you have to be a registered student to apply for them.
Can you go ahead and register at the schools to secure your spot and apply for the scholarships and then still tell them “no” after the fact?
I’m sorry I’m all over the place - this is our first headed off to college and I’m learning a lot -
Engineering Major -
GPA - 4.18
SAT - 1310
many AP and honors classes, including Engineering classes. High grades in Math. Not as much extra curricular as we took her our of public and went private junior year. (Homeschool this year)
Please help!

1 Like

Help! We have neurotically (and successfully) logged on numerous times to check status. Today we are getting an “Application Not Authorized to Use Central Authentication Service” message.
What’s the story? Anyone else having the same issue. Called admissions and was transferred to help desk-no answer!

1 Like

PSA is not an offer that is given to top 10%. Blinn team and Academy are not an offer to top 10%… Blinn Academy will be given as an option IF the top 10% student is not accepted into Engineering BUT the student has an option to change their major to NON Engineering and be full time at TAMU.

Galveston and McAllen can also be offered to top 10% and are not PSA schools. They are true TAMU but different campus. They get Aggie ring just like Cstat campus students. They can get sports pass as well and have access to all things TAMU main campus. But again, they can change to nonengineering and come straight to cstat.

Hope that clears things up for top 10% offers.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I understood it.

Just heard back from TAMU admissions office. According to them, systems are down and everyone is getting that general message.

2 Likes

Hi, samething happen here this morning but it back to normal now. Try to refresh your page.

I checked today and it said that I could either be considered for waitlist and TEAM, Only waitlisted, or only considered for TEAM. I would rather go to TAMU but I’m worried that I won’t get accepted anywhere else so I think I should apply to both. If I do both will that affect my chances of getting in?

Can anyone shed some light on the Liberal Arts program at both TAMU and UT? My daughter has been accepted to both and is trying to compare. We have heard/read opinions that UT’s LA program is stronger, but I can’t find anything to substantiate it. In case the major within LA matters for this topic, she plans on majoring in Englishing before going to Law School.

When did you get this option? Today? I know some of us received it on Monday. Also, what major are you applying for and what are you stats?

I was a liberal arts major at TAMU. When I was there 5 million years ago, Texas had a much stronger LA program than A&M.

I’m not sure when they put that on there because I haven’t checked the website in a while but today I opened it and saw that. I’m applying for sociology. I have a 4.0 unweighted and 100.45 weighted. My SAT was 1160 (I know not very good but I was so nervous I forgot everything the second I entered the gym.) I have a couple of extracurriculars (NHS, SHS officer, Band, etc.) and volunteer hours.
I will definitely do the waitlist but I’m trying to decide if I should also do TEAM or not.

So do we think there is still a wave of non auto, non engineering admits coming soon? I looked back at this thread and it appeared that over two weeks ago a wave was mentioned and I don’t think it has happened yet. My daughter is an instate non auto who applied in September. She has about 6 other friends that applied around same time and have not heard anything. One friend that applied much later like 2 months later, received a Teams offer this week. I also read that offers might be pushed to Feb… but maybe that is Engineering? She is Liberal Arts.

You should research Blinn TEAM. I’ve heard great things about this program.

1 Like

I have noticed that my daughter’s major does not offer a Blinn Team pathway. Should she switch her major to increase her chances of getting an offer of waitlist/Blinn team? She applied back in September and still has not heard back.

Honestly, it depends. What is the ultimate goal for your child?

Does she want to be an Aggie and go to A&M at ANY COST? Or does she want to get an education in the field of study that is important to her.

1 Like

Help your child make the best decision by visiting both. I am 1 of 5 kids. 3 went to TAMU. 2 went to UT. UT is a city school. School buses are city buses. There are homeless. There is graffiti. Austin is the state Capitol - people visit Austin to protest. People visit Austin for their annual vacations. The music and film festivals and F1 track attract gobs of visitors from all over the world to Austin multiple times a year (in non pandemic days). Austin is NOT just a college town, it is a big city with high rise buildings, traffic, etc. There is a feeling of lots of diversity and one who goes to UT will want to be the profile of person who wants that diversity. For those who go to UT, their new favorite color is Burnt Orange, some love that, some can’t stomach it. Hook 'em is the greeting of choice at UT. TAMU is rural. TAMU historically has leaned more conservative than UT, but that is changing along with the world! TAMU is very patriotic and reverent to the military and has staunch traditions in which a future Aggie will be encouraged to partake with zest (avoiding sporting games would enable a student to avoid a lot of the pressure, but many Aggies would say that would mean missing out on the fun - to each his/her own, right?). TAMU is an AG school at its core. The TAMU greetings are Howdy or Gig 'em. The favorite color of loyal Aggies is Maroon. TAMU cheers with pride “Farmers Fight!” At TAMU, you will find: no graffiti & no homeless sleeping on the sidewalks surrounding campus. There is so much more to a school than rank. I have a junior at UT & know tons of kids at both places. I have happy, successful 50+ year old friends with degrees from both places. Go visit. I also have a high school senior looking at both now. Idea… At every school we visit we go to the Union (MSC at TAMU), the bookstore, the Catholic Church (insert your place of worship or skip this step if not applicable), we walk thru the exterior dorms area(s), we find a Starbucks & Chick Fil A and we walk - a lot. We try to come up with a short list of important spots on each campus we visit those places and walk inside them, not just by them, when possible - we find the spots to go based on reading and talking to friends/alums (like teachers at school who went there). Try to clock 5,000-10,000 steps. An official tour is great, but official tours are not available to many right now and even if you book one, independent exploration is helpful. The unions and churches and bookstores & the foyer areas to libraries and rec centers are all OPEN to those with masks on at all schools (we have visited many since last March when the pandemic seeming shut the world down). Walk in where you can and take a peek. Let your child see what auditorium sized classrooms look like if you can get a glimpse. Feel how far the spots on campus are from each other. How safe does your child feel going from one to another? See where your child feels like they fit. UT and TAMU could not be more different. You and your child will feel that after a day and 5-10k steps. Kids will spend 12-18 hours in a classroom in a week. They will spend every other hour somewhere else. So, make sure they like the “somewhere else” and the somebodies that will inhabit those many other places - do the places and people inspire them and make them proud (more important than the school rank!). Have them “people” watch. Listen. Smell. Touch. Double mask up and let your future Aggie or Longhorn expose all their senses to both places, then let them decide. If they want to do Greek life, do your research, again, rush is VERY different at the 2 places. If they are 1st Gen, make sure you look into resources and have your child looped into a 1st Gen program before school starts. If academics is the lynch pin, then look up what every professor in the college of interest is researching. Which list: TAMU professor research or UT professor research makes your child eager to learn? Hope that helps!!! They will LIVE there for 4 years. It is like buying a house. Ask your child which neighborhood and neighbors do they want to commit to for 4 years IN PERSON and for a LIFETIME as an alum!!! It is a huge investment of time and $$$ and they should like the neighborhood a whole lot before they pull the trigger and “buy”!!!
BTW: My husband and I are both lawyers. Have your child study whatever they are passionate about - all majors can apply to law school. Successful lawyers are analytical thinkers who can read lots, process gobs & write well - speaking well is a common but not essential trait. The LSAT entrance exam is a LONG way away. Undergrad grades are important for all grad school applications. So, tell your child to go where they see themselves succeeding. There will be gobs of competition at both places. Have your child go to the place that inspires them to read more, write more & think analytically about issues - lawyers must understand all sides of issues - only then can they know what the other side will propose & so they can prepare their approach for their own side. Don’t worry about picking the undergrad school with the best law school either, law schools recruit top students - all successful applicants will have great grades and analytical skills - and no matter the law school, they will recruit from all universities. Also, many need a change of scenery for grad school and want to move away from their undergrad town for grad school. Also, many have spouses by the time grad school rolls around and, therefore, they end up needing to pick a school in the town where their spouse has a job! That frames just how far away from today 4.5 years can be!!! Right?!?!??
Finally: Most kids are dreams at 18-years of age. College is long and hard. At 18 my husband thought he’d be President of the USA and I thought I’d be a doctor. The 4 years of college humbled him and honed him into a respectable lawyer (he has never run for any office) and my 1st semester of college math and science had be dash away from pre-med and I ended up with a business degree. At 18, kids have no idea (with good reason) what profession they will land in. So, encourage your kids to study something they will be proud of and happy with whether they end up in grad school (Law or Business or Vet or Med school) or not!!! Lots of careers need solid writers and those with a solid math foundation who have a network of similarly trained peers in a variety of fields. Most with an undergrad degree will find jobs that don’t require an advanced degree - advanced experience will move them along plenty. Some kids LOVE college. Others swear they will never take a test again. To that child (I have one and was of of them), I reply: you will be a learner your whole life. You will read and calculate, you will think you learned enough only to learn just how much more there is to know. That is life. The tests look different the older we get, but the tests continue too. As grown ups we know that and really the only way to learn it is experientially - at the ripe age of 18-22, grown ups sound like the adults portrayed in Charlie Brown films - Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah! Ha ha!!! Good luck!!!

15 Likes

A&M has always been her dream school. She is willing to do what it costs to be there, but I’ll have to check if the other majors she’s considering have a Blinn Team pathway.

How do I check to see if DS marked Pathways on his application? I helped him with it but now I don’t remember that question? At this point, would it be beneficial to change major from Civil Engineering just to get an answer??

How stupid would it be to change major in AIS to Econ first instead of second this late in the game? Mays is full now…if S21 is offered full admission, he’d automatically be placed in his second choice anyway right? And if he gets Blinn Team, then there is a Pathway to Mays, or he could easily apply to transfer as an Econ major in COLA, correct? Someone please talk us down from this ledge lol. Should he just leave it as is and keep waiting?

Meanwhile, Rawls College of Business at Texas Tech sent him an invitation to apply for their Business Leadership Program…I want him to keep all his options open so he’s applying.