TAMU Holistic review candidates Class of 2022

@thelma2 it says Texas A&M University - College Station Fall 2018. Under that it says Application Status: Under Review, Level - Undergraduate: Major: MEEN, Program: BS-MEEN.

Kind of sounds like Galveston is offered after full admit is full in College Station and therefore that is no longer an option if offers for Engineering at Galveston are already going out. Thanks for your info, just trying to take a deep breath and prepare for an answer.

@Thelma2 my 1st major is health and my 2nd choice is public health (AHO) refers to Allied health option

@txnjenn My son has the same status on his. I was under the impression they do Engineering by department, but I’m not sure if that’s accurate. It seems I have seen a lot of Civil Eng decisions, but nothing for Mechanical. Hope we hear something soon!

@FingersCrossedAgMom My son’s application year was fall 2016 as well. You are correct, that both campuses have Ocean but it seems further in the application process, an Ocean engineering student can request to start out in Galveston, rather than CS. Found this online"
“The Department of Ocean Engineering offers substantially identical four-year academic programs on each of two campuses: College Station and Galveston. The application and admission processes are identical except for a specific question late in the online application on which applicants may specify a preference for either campus. Pursuing a degree in Ocean Engineering on the College Station campus enables the rich experience of studying Engineering at a very large campus featuring all the opportunities inherent to being amongst a very large number of engineering programs and students. The Galveston campus is relatively small special-purpose institution with specific focus on engineering and science for the marine environment. Pursuing Ocean Engineering on the Galveston Campus enables students to have direct access to the Texas coast, including frequent field trips to local ship-building and repair facilities, and field-based laboratory experiments on the beach or aboard University-owned vessels.”

@Thelma2

1st Qtr rank (homeschooled)
23 ACT - not the best test taker
3.7 unweighted GPA with 15 hours dual credit (taking 9 more currently)
2 Essays, letter of recommendation, Lifeguard, basketball, volleyball, tons of volunteer hours though I’m not sure we documented as much as we should have. Wants to join the Corp.

Applied for Forensic Investigative Science (AG-ENTO-FIVL)

He older sister applied as a transfer this year and is already accepted so she does know that’s an option.

@percy0317 Do you mind sharing your son’s stats? If your son really wants a degree in engineering, the Galveston route is the way to go. I do not know how to go about how to find out what majors are open to him. I would guess through his Howdy. I would imagine those not offered this option do not have access to chose? Mays College of Business will be closed to him for all majors offered. There may be other STEM majors open.
Read up on ENGR at Galveston here. Infomation also for @aeromom @bluefordaggie @Dhg712 @93txag @KIMZ99 @Zeronote @Shayne8 @VEXisLife
http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/engineering-at-galveston
Explore the links on the right.
Because housing is smaller at TAMUG, applying as soon as possible is best. You should have a “next Steps” on your AIS. Those will be the most up to date. Follow the instructions on there.

Here is a link to explore how the past two classes, 2020 and 2021 ENGR at Galveston Entry to A Major has gone https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/engineering-at-galveston-program

There is a link to a sample application.

Those are my daughter’s choices (for major) too. I can see that the major has changed (as of yesterday) to Public Health. Not sure if that is a bad sign or not.

@Thelma2 Thanks for this reply and info. Son’s stats: Appl date 10/17/18, rank 22% from hyper competitive HS (I know everyone says that), WGPA 4.3, UWGPA 3.7, SAT 1310, varsity football, NHS and NSHS, 2 essays and 3 LOR’s (AP Physics teacher, counselor and county commissioner who knows son personally and was A&M grad) many AP classes.
Thanks again and for all the info you provide on this forum.

@boysarebest would you mind sharing your son’s stats, including test sub scores and date applied?

Good luck to you, @trinley. I know this is a roller coaster for you. @GManmom123, I know your son had an outstanding math score and class rank. He deserves his TEAB spot!
@Thelma2, here is my son’s decision for your records. He has good engineering talent and experience, but my son has some poor early grades mixed in with later better grades. He is a pretty good student, but clearly not in the ranks of the best students at A&M. He also has a lot to learn about simple consideration and needs better discipline overall. I pray that all these admission decisions are the right ones. At this point, we don’t know whether our son should take the below slot or go to the TAMU Engineering Academy at Blinn-Brenham, with the Engineering Academy at least $3000 cheaper for the first year. The entry to a major appears to be exactly the same, and it appears that there is no transfer-like penalty from the Brenham academy. Both of these have preview days on Friday, March 9.

Application Date: 8/5/17
Major applied for: Mechanical Engineering
Admission offer: 2/12/18, Galveston
GPA and Class Rank: 3.25uw/35% rank snapshot
Other academic:
5 years of engineering classes spanning middle and high school
Prior AP classes with test scores: AP World History (3), Dual credit English (like AP English 4), AP Calculus (4, with AP Calculus BC subscore of 3), AP Physics C-Mechanics (4), AP US History (4)
Taking this year: AP English Lit, AP Statistics, AP Physics E&M, AP Government, AP Macroeconomics, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, Post-AP: Multivariable Calculus. His overall grade average in this year’s classes is lower than last year and is running about 92.5. He is an A/B student this year, was more of an A student last year.

SAT:1360 (680/680)

Eagle scout, BSA Triple Crown High Adventure award, PADI Open Water scuba certification, 200 hr community service with scouts, multiyear high school swim team, SolidWorks CAD tool professional certification, middle school president of FIRST Tech Challenge robotics team on year (placed 9th regionally), car shows with rotary engine car and has modified another car. One summer job so far (lifeguard). 3 essays, 2 good LOR’s from math and engineering teachers, in state, not URM.

Our son has been interested in the Corps. Perhaps someone can say something about the NAVY ROTC-only Corps at Galveston. Does it seem any different from the Corps in College Station? Thank you, @Thelma2 and all the other fine posters here.

@dmarshall From my experience… when your major changes from 2nd to 1st choice… it is a very good sign! Would appear accepted into TAMU just not first major!

As for BIMS and all other majors… They will be released all together. Only Engineering is it’s only category which is why that’s all we have seen this week. Last week we got a ton of TEAM offers all NONengineering. I would assume more offers are coming from Admissions since they are not the ones deciding on Eng. at this point (out of their hands now). So… breathe in, breath out, repeat as necessary!

Now let’s all pray for tabs tomorrow!!!

Finally…
Accepted to Engineering Academy at Blinn
SAT score: 1510 (800 math)
OOS
So excited, does anyone have any entry to a major information for engineering academy?

YAY @Trommald You will shine!

Congrats to all those that have gotten accepted in the last few days! And thank you to @Thelma2 for helping so many.

We are planning on heading down this week for a spend the night with the Corp program. Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile to meet with admission or an advisor about possible transfer paths if she is rejected? She will have the required 24 hours already but would have to take something small just to have some post-high school credit. Thanks for any advice!

@Trommald :WHOOP!!! :slight_smile: I am so happy for you! I’ll bet that you will ROCK Engineering at Blinn!
Check out my thread on CC: “TAMU Blinn-TEAM Fall 2018 :parent perspective” for our

@trommald have you investigated the A&M website for entry to a major info? a 3.5 at Blinn and a 3.5 at A&M gives you first choice major.

@dmarshall Your changes may be different than the holistic review applicants on this thread. Your daughter is a transfer student, correct? All of the applicants on this thread are incoming freshman. They are reviewed by Admissions where as transfers are reviewed by departments.

@Thelma2 Here are my daughter’s stats:

Application completed: 10-25-17
Class Rank: 2nd Quarter in competitive 6A Texas High School
GPA: 3.75w and 3.5uw on a 4.0 scale
ACT: Composite 24 (29 English/25 Math)
Major: 1st Choice - Health-Allied Health. 2nd Choice: Biology
Essays: All 3
Letters of Recommendation: 2-Chemistry Teacher and Anatomy and Physiology Teacher
Extracurricular: 3 Years Varsity/JV Cheerleading (Captain); National Honor Society, almost 200 Volunteer Hours; After School Nanny - 3 years; Hostess - 1 year (two jobs over the last year); Summer Tumbling Instructor; Senior Women; Campus Crusade for Christ; 4 years of regular babysitting for various families
Awards: Received the highest honor at her high school - Only awarded to 1 male and 1 female in each grade level (approx. 750 kids) annually. Determined by an entire faculty vote. Nominated by her Chemistry teacher. Also was voted All American Cheerleader for 3 years.

Praying for every person to receive a decision soon!!

Sorry! Hit post while editing in mid sentence!

(Continuing) daughter’s experience on the regular Blinn-TEAM and as an Aggie in Aggieland!!

WHOOP! :slight_smile:

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academies/blinn-bryan/terms-and-conditions
For those of us in blinn engineer academy, great link for specifics