TAMU Transfers - Fall 2023

Yes, that’s correct. Never had word before. So guessing they just threw him in history hoping he doesn’t really want to be a CPA?! So confused at how this benefits the student :frowning: Hope the final acceptance happens soon so he even knows if there are any other options available other than history?

1 Like

It seems this was done in place of rejection. Mays is tough to get into. TAMU is putting him in a lesser-filled major under the OM program. Hopefully, he gets more choices of major. Definitely talk to admissions, maybe reach out today to see what’s going on.

2 Likes

What was his second choice major?

1 Like

He didn’t choose a second major.

How would one have known about the Opportunities Major?

Should he wait until the receives a formal acceptance or would you suggest he reach out now?

1 Like

Definitely wait. I already tried and they shut me down and told me to wait lol

1 Like

Two or three months ago, students started receiving the OM offer. They could select which major they wanted from a list. I believe those participants received admission a while back. What we’re seeing now (a couple of people on Reddit also got it), is that TAMU is basically assigning transfer applicants the OM program with assigned major, unlike during regular admissions when they got a choice of OM major.

Mays is most likely full. When did he apply? Did he have a 3.9-4.0 and all needed pre-reqs, how many total hours? If not all that, slim-to-none chance at Mays.

The Opportunity Major thing is fairly new, like I’ve never heard of it until this spring. Some may consider it a ‘soft rejection’, while others consider it a win…a chance to be Aggie, whatever the major.

Hopefully your son has other business acceptances elsewhere?

3 Likes

I’ve heard from friends who have both gotten accepted and rejected! It’s good to hear that acceptances are still going out…but so nerve racking

2 Likes

@MegO18 most likely HR is full, or you didn’t meet their requirements. I’d Google to see their change of major stats-max hours allowed, courses needed, min gpa, etc. Not sure how easy it is to change majors, once you have already gotten in as a transfer?
HR is school of Ed, I think? (Some majors got switched around in a big reshuffle, but I don’t think HR did?)
I would be happy with Sociology, and wouldn’t contact anyone…especially if you listed it as a 2nd major choice.

1 Like

Wow, this is terrible! If he accepts the history major, does it say he will be locked in to that major? If so, he should go somewhere else - there are plenty of good business schools that will open doors to recruiting.

My son only picked one major as well (construction science). If they do this to him and throw in some random worthless major, I 100% guarantee he will decline.

@HAD1 both Mays and Construction Science are small, very competitive majors. If students don’t list a 2nd major, high chance they’ll get flat out rejected or offered an ‘opportunity major’.

3 Likes

What do we know about chances for communication or journalism majors?

This is really good to know, thank you. I have had a hard time finding out how competitive Construction Science is. Their minimum GPA for transfers is only 2.5 which doesn’t seem competitive given that engineering minimums are MUCH higher (and my son is at 3.94 on his transfer audit) - but I wondered if there are only so many spots available so even with that GPA he could be denied.

I sure do wish they would confirm soon! It is hard to make plans for August without the decision, because if he is denied, he will stay where he is (Colorado State University).

4 Likes

I think it’s more of a high competition resulted from high demand rather than entrance requirements. My bf is in cosci rn and it’s a popular major bc of its reputation.

2 Likes

Can students who don’t get their preferred major in ETAM Engineering have success applying to cosci?

My nephew got Opportunity major after going for Mays in freshman admissions. It will apparently be very hard to transfer to another major but maybe can add a business minor (?). Mom says he majoring something in business. Accounting is a different path requiring coursework towards a masters. I suppose one can get a Masters in Accounting without a bachelors in accounting and then sit for the CPA exam.

2 Likes

Was your son requested for spring grades?

1 Like

Did anyone of your friends got rejected after being asked to submit spring grades?

1 Like

I will ask! A lot who heard back are more mutual friends of mine and idk their exact stats, so I will ask if any of them were spring defers and lyk!

1 Like