TAMU Transfers - Fall 2023

Got accepted for the spring 2024 for construction science after being denied for fall 2023. I have a question thoe my family was wondering if it’s easy to change major to petroleum engineering if possible. I saw online with the TAPS w the courses to take and what GpA to maintain but I would still be considered a Co sci major for a semester. How does the process look?

Ooh they really frown on students doing that (transferring and switching majors). You’ll complete the required courses to change majors and any other Tamu requirements. Then apply via howdy. Not sure of what alll that involves.

Ok yea. And I was looking at other options like what if I graduate w a co sci major and go back to school and get an engineer bachelor would I have to go to school for 4 years again? And also how does the double major work?

Go speak with you advisor. And no you wouldn’t do another 4 years. Just the classes minus the university core classes

Ok great I’m planning on talking to an advisor. Also how does minor works in Tamu?

@Mal_2002 The first step in working towards a double/dual degree or double/dual major (if both majors are in the same college) is to get the permission of each department that they will allow you to work on 2 degrees at the same time. So, when you get there in the spring, you can talk to advisors in both depts to see if they allow this. Or you can just talk to the petroleum eng advisor to see if there is a way you can transfer in. You can look at the TAP process for getting into petr eng to see what might be ahead of you.

Yea I was thinking of switching majors but I heard as a transfer it’s hard and the fact I’m basically a junior. The TAPS advisor told me I would have to do the required courses and then apply for the switch. I would then change my major to general studies until they accept me. But the advisor told me it’s not guaranteed I get accepted for the switch and that if I do it and go to general studies and get declined for engineering I can’t go back to co sci because I alr left them.

It’s very tricky for sure and not a sure thing! Minors are easy. If the major offers a minor then you just add it and follow the plan to complete it.

@Mal_2002 Looks like the reqmts to transfer into pete eng arent much, plus pete eng is not one of the competitive eng majors - there is more spots available than student demand.

REQUIREMENTS TO CHANGE MAJOR TO PETROLEUM ENGINEERING (PETE)

• Must have a 3.00 GPA at the time of application
  • MINIMUM COURSEWORK: ENGL 104, MATH 151, MATH 152, PHYS 206 & CHEM 107/117
  • Minimum 18 hours

OTOH, if you have the money and are able to commit a few more years, a dual degree (since different colleges) is an option, as long as both depts agree. You would take constr sci classes and pete eng prereqs, and then once pete eng accepts you, you would continue to pursue both degrees without having to switch to general studies.

Sounds like you have done your homework!

@Eggscapgoats and @Mal_2002 TAMU Petroleum was just ranked #1 undergraduate degree and #2 graduate degree. It could be much harder to get into.

We have a friend who got an undergrad BIMS-type degree at UT, and is now completing a secondary degree at A&M…in Petroleum. That’s an option, also.

I wouldn’t even try to switch majors, personally. You’ll have to spend a semester in Gen Studies.
I’d look into getting a minor.

1 Like

Petroleum engineering was one of the opportunity majors during the last admission cycle. But maybe the student to faculty ratio has changed since then

1 Like

That’s mind boggling to me! In the state of Texas, especially, given the petroleum industry?? And the fantastic ranking.
Crazy!

1 Like

Yea I think switching majors would be hard cause I can risk not getting in and being stuck jn general studies. But if I wanna do dual major other then engineering I can do dual major w Co sci and Architecture. Would that be hard to do? I would assume it won’t since it’s both in the same department.

Yea I heard Pete isn’t competive like other engineer majors such as computer science, civil and mechanical. But I feel like it’s a higher risk but bigger reward. I don’t wanna be stuck in general studies and end up not getting in.

@Mal_2002 double major is difficult, trying to double major entering as a transfer will be even more difficult. Construction Science is School of Architecture. You’d have to ask advisors about trying to change majors into Engineering, but for sure it’ll require at least 1 semester in Gen Studies.
You may run the risk of having too many hours for Engineering (I’m sure you can google that).

You’ve already been denied once, if it were my student, I’d say take the Construction Science and be happy! See about adding a minor, if you really want something else. And wait until you’ve at least started classes…they won’t be a breeze. Don’t get in over your head.

Ok yea. But I was saying as in dual major w co sci and architecture like an actual architecture degree. Since they both in the same department would jt still be difficult to dual major?

You have to ask your advisor, as every college varies. And entering as a transfer could easily make it more difficult.

https://artsci.tamu.edu/global-lang-cultures/academics/advising/double-major-degree.html

Ok yea I’m prolly have to talk to an advisor soon. But also let’s say I graduate w an co sci bachelor degree and decide to go back to school to get another bachelor degree. How difficult it is to do and will it take another 4 years?

Great questions for a university advisor-only they can tell you.

@52AG82 my youngest is getting a dual degree (ag and eng) and he didnt have to spend a semester in gen studies. The important part was getting the general approval of each dept. Once he took the eng pre reqs, eng was added and now he will take a mix of classes. Why would it be harder for a transfer student to double major or double degree? its not dependant on hours taken already. Also, once approved for a 2nd degree, the registrar gives more hours at instate tuition to complete both degrees.

I dont know how you would get back into the university, unless you were going for a masters.

Getting two degrees from the college of arch would probably take less time since you might have more duplicate classes for each major.

Getting the degrees at the same time allows you to make smart choices about the classes taken to satisfy both degrees, if that makes sense. For example, your original degree might require business calc, but the eng degree requires eng calc. Taking eng calc satisfies both requirements