Tcu housing debacle!

Warning to class of 2024! Tcu has more students than housing space.
It’s August 1st and Hundreds of kids still don’t have a bed or are in forced triples (room designed for 2 people but now housing 3). Child currently looking to change schools.

Will they allow you to get an off-campus apartment? Personally I’d rather do that then live 3-to-a-room anyway.

My D’s school underestimate yield by 800 students when she was a freshman. She was placed in a triple with four people. Others were in temporary housing for the first month. It all works itself out! For my D, it ended up totally being a non issue. She doubled her friend group instantly and loved all her roommates. We got a break on housing costs too.

This is an issue at lots of schools and really does work out. I absolutely would not make a change in school over housing.

“Required” to live on campus for 2 years?

Have a child who has graduated and I know this isn’t the end of the world. But for $60,000 a year, one does expect and deserve more.

Enrollment numbers at Texas Universities are growing each year. My sons school averaged a 1,000 more freshmen each year for the last 10 years straight. It is what it is, I would not let this deter my child from going to the school they love.

Before you jump to change schools and go to another university, take a breath. Relax. Last year my son was a freshman at another university. My greatest concern (and his too) was the forced triple and yup, it happened. It was fine. He met two great roommates and together they worked it out. He was able to move next door with another guy from the floor for the second semester but there is no way he would have moved any further away to get out of the forced triple. He was just too happy with his friends, floor, and dorm.

It will be ok. This is the time kids learn to be flexible and live a little uncomfortably. It’s all good.

The forced triples are typically in the oversized rooms or even former study lounges. In the past, as spaces open up, some students on the list decide they are happy and don’t even want to move to a more ideal spot. My D had an open single in her suite for close to three weeks as numerous girls at the top of the waiting list turned it down and decided they didn’t mind their current situation.

For 2019-2020, they opened two new dorms (Richards and Arnold). Hopefully they will relieve some of the forced triples.

@Bogeygolfer5 did the new dorms help reduce the use of “extended” rooms? How is housing overall now at TCU as far as freshmen getting rooms?

@ccsouth Obviously I’m not @Bogeygolfer5 but speaking as a student there were not many freshmen in forced triples. There are triples built to be triples, but wracking my brain I do not know of anyone in a forced situation. There are definitely enough rooms for Sophomores and Upperclassmen, as I know some rooms in Richards and Arnold were empty (usually in the case of only 2 or 3 people in a 4 person suite). If there are any problems, it would be old pipes IYKYK, but they are retrofitting everything to prevent further problems. Another thing is just accommodating roommate groups of 2 or 3 for suite style rooms can be challenging, because that would require as many singles to slot into those rooms. Stay safe!