TCU or Clemson?

My twins (son and daughter) are interested in Clemson and TCU. We are from the Midwest and are wondering if there would be a “culture shock” in the South…and if so, more at Clemson or TCU? Would love to hear about experiences at both schools, fraternity/sorority life and fitting in as a freshman. Thank you.

My daughter is a TCU senior who will be graduating with a job in NY. She was also accepted at Clemson and we are also from the Midwest. It has been a great experience. About half of the students at TCU are from outside of Texas (and a lot from the midwest) so we have not noticed a South bias. With Clemson being a public university, the number of in state students is a lot higher which might make the adjustment a little more difficult if that is a concern. We couldn’t be happier with her experience both academically and socially. Some of the parents of her friends are now great friends of ours. Good luck in the decision. Go Frogs!

We are also from the Midwest and my daughter’s top two choices were TCU and Clemson. I’m happy to say that she will be a Frog next year! She has a few older friends that are already attending TCU and they have not expressed any concerns about a culture shock that I know of. We met one of her high school friends that is currently a sophomore during a campus visit a few weeks ago and the friend couldn’t be happier with her decision. My husband and I were sold on the personal attention that she has received from TCU throughout the process, from the admissions office, to the meetings with professors in her intended majors, to the enthusiastic students. They also offered a fair merit scholarship that put the cost below Clemson OOS. My daughter started corresponding with her admissions counselor after her initial campus visit the summer before her junior year, so I don’t know if that had any effect on the attention she received. Best of luck to you with your decision!

Thank you very much for your responses. All are helpful!

Hello! I am originally from the midwest but now live near Clemson. My daughter attends TCU. TCU and Clemson are very different kinds of “south”. The schools also have a very different “vibe”. I am happy to answer any questions, just let me know!