Tell me what is great about Alabama?

<p>I can see that a “townie” who commutes to Bama might feel “left out” or “less socialized” if they don’t at least pledge. However, a residential student isn’t going to have that same experience.</p>

<p>When I was in school, it was common for “townies” to pledge just so that they would feel a connection to a school. Otherwise, it would feel too much like…go to class, go home.</p>

<p>Townies can have mixed feelings about attending their local school. We see this kind of thing all over CC…many don’t want to attend the school in their own backyard, yet many must because it’s their only affordable choice…just pay tuition, fees, books.</p>

<p>I think one of the key points of nbc1993’s comments that has to be taken into significant consideration in weighing his comments is the fact that he said his unhappy friend is from/grew up in Tuscaloosa…In an instance like this when this particular individual has a majority of friends going into the Greek system from an area that strongly identifies with that system it may be harder for that individual if they don’t have the confidence/ability to really branch out and find happiness with their non-Greek decision. They may find themselves feeling unhappy or left out as they over identify that all things at UA are Greek because that is where this particular individuals comfort zone of friends are.</p>

<p>I would therefore agree with what AL34 wrote about our OOS non-Greek children being very happy at UA but as he mentioned… one would have to be in denial to say that the Greek atmosphere is not at all-pervasive.</p>

<p>I just don’t think the majority of OOS/non Greek students identify as strongly w/the Greek system so they aren’t hanging around mopping that they are not a part of it. They are instead enjoying all the things you read being mentioned on this board. We can say that the Greek system has had no bearing on a positive experience at UA for out D who does interact with many Greeks albeit in short spurts (due to her busy schedule) through Honors, IHP, UFE, church connections etc. In fact she gave consideration to the Greek system but after talking to children of friends or relatives of ours who were/are involved t she came to the realization that there just would not be enough time with her athletic and other activities. Which was a good choice for her as she often interacts/visits w/another UFE girl who is Greek about their schedules –neither of them has much free time at all, yet each are very happy and fulfilled on the same campus. </p>

<p>The key take away point is…be sure your student is confident in their choice whatever it is…then they will find happiness at UA Greek or Non-Greek!</p>

<p>Well, my apologies for stirring the pot! I was just giving my 2 cents worth - obviously not worth much :). My earlier comments were not designed to say “don’t choose Bama if you don’t want to be Greek” - rather, I was just trying to let people know what to expect.</p>

<p>I am a townie/gownie - did not attend UA (went out of state) - but am working off of experience as a native (daughter of UA grads/UA Law Prof - lived on campus until age 18) and someone who has many friends who either attended an/or currently have kids attending. I really am fond of this school - and am not trying to bash the Bama experience in any way. </p>

<p>Would like to qualify that I am not “anti” Greek. In fact, have a daughter heading off to college soon who very much wants to go Greek. Think it’s great. Sororities and Fraternities have a great time and perform lots of community service. But I do know (and have known) students who arrive at Bama from other regions who just aren’t aware of what a big deal the Greek scene is at major southern universities…and I have watched these kids struggle to find a niche. Perhaps it is a much bigger deal to “locals” (though all the locals I know are/were resident students, not commuters). I’ve lived/worked on several Southeastern Conference campuses, and Alabama is (with the possible exception of Ole Miss) THE most Greek influenced campus I’ve lived around. And, according to the UA Greek website (greeklife.ua.edu), participation has steadily over the last 10 years (they have stats available for anyone interested).</p>

<p>I stand by my earlier comment that girls in sororities really do stick with that group socially after they pledge. Folks should know that. Again, not trying to criticize the young women or their sororities - but it’s just the way it is down here. Frankly, the girls just don’t have time for much else after pledging. </p>

<p>Once again, anyone considering going to UA GDI might want to consider finding a few GDIs to talk to directly. And, if non-Greek is the choice - you might want to find a roommate who’s also not going Greek.</p>

<p>Okay. I’m done here. Best of luck to all who are considering and/or have kids attending and thanks for your time.</p>

<p>No need to apologize, nbc1993. And thank you for clarifying. Your input and perspective are valuable. That your comments stirred discussion is a good thing.</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>nbc1933 - totally agree w/melani… No need to apologize! Your input is valued as it created thought and discussion…it is good to have different perspectives on the board so readers (students and their parents) can have a balanced or at least as much information as possible to help base decisions on. Some people may be able to identify that they or their student would fall into the same experience your friend did where UA might not be the best choice for them. And those of us commenting about our kids who are having positive non-Greek experiences at UA helps to provide insight as to how and why it works for them; again giving insight for folks to base decisions on. I think we all provide our thoughts and experiences so others can benefit as they make the best choice for thier situation not to say UA is the perfect place for every student.</p>

<p>we’re all about open discussion here nbc - at least we should be. This board is, after all, primarily for college-bound students to get real info about Alabama. I’m happy you brought it up because it IS a factor, and especially if you come from a place (like DS did) where it is not part of anything you’ve ever experienced or heard of, well… quite honestly the whole concept makes no sense to him. To each his own but please keep coming back and staying active in our discussions!</p>

<p>and trvlbug - no big thing but I is a She ;)</p>

<p>I think the different perspectives stated here illustrate how indivdualized experiences can be. I asked my son about how “pervasive” the greek system was in his day-to-day life at UA and he was pretty hard pressed to think of any role the greek system had in his day-to-day life at UA. Bottom line is that the greek system doesnt seem to be pervasive at all to him. I don’t think he is in denial, I think he just is having a different experience at UA than some others have.</p>

<p>I haven’t started at Bama yet(I will be a freshmen in August) but tbh what really sold me was the the fine people on UA’s CC forum and the 2012 FB Group…of all the colleges I applied to (17 IIRC) Bama had the most outgoing and kind people representing the school and talking all the great things it offered.</p>

<p>I know socializing isn’t the most important thing in college but for me atleast it’s a BIG deal (I struggled making friends in HS and my grades suffered too b/c of my social problems) so I feel like the best school is the one were you can have a thriving active and HAPPY four years, after all sometimes it’s what you do outside the classroom and the connections you make that matter most.</p>

<p>Plus Bama has some really strong academics and the Honors College is an amazing opportunity. : )</p>

<p>Just my 2 cents! Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>Question:
Can you be involved in both Student Gov’t and Honors College Assembly? I plan on pledging but just in case I dont get a bid, whats the %age of GDI’s in Student Gov’t? I love Student Gov’t and I really want to continue with it in college.</p>

<p>I don’t know what the % is…don’t know if it’s posted anywhere.</p>

<p>Yes, you can be in Honors College Assembly and GSA and anything else you want.</p>

<p>Nbc1993: I think that you have had a unique insight into life at Bama from your childhood prospective and it is extremely nice of you to share that experience, but I am wondering how long ago that experience might have been?</p>

<p>Although certain aspects of colleges change rapidly and some do not, I don’t see the Greek experience at Bama as being as pervasive as you do. Greek Life is certainly very important to a segment of students on campus but it is certainly not the experience that many of our current students are having. It seems to me that as more out of state students arrive (this year’s freshman class was over 50% OOS) that less students will probably go Greek. As the diversity of the student body grows, the variation in interests, religious beliefs, and political views change quickly. That is not to say that the Greek System will still not remain strong but I believe that “becoming Greek” is just not as important (or non-important) to many current and incoming students.</p>

<p>From our own perspective and certainly from my son’s perspective, being Greek is no big deal. As a matter of fact he was asked to pledge two different fraternities, one of which asked him to become an officer. He turned both offers down and has suffered no ill effects from doing that. He has had friends (and room mates) who are either Greek or adamantly GDI.</p>

<p>STEM students (in particular) are usually very busy with their demanding studies and some students hold jobs in addition to their course load, which takes up additional time so many choose not to go Greek. </p>

<p>On campus, there are numerous other clubs and organizations to join based on your interests as well as many religious groups which host social events. I don’t think that there will be one student who cannot find a group to join. Students should (in my opinion) join at least one group initially and then they can change groups or add as they like. This allows each student lots of flexibility, since each semester will have different time constraints.</p>

<p>Although we can all make generalizations, every student’s experience will be different and personal. It is up to each student to look for opportunities because there are many available at Bama. Finding friends and a social group should be easy, as long as students are willing to be themselves and respect others.</p>

<p>Generalization alert- I would think that for a lot of honors kids(I’ll lump in band & sports too) have so much going on that there isn’t a lot of time to go Greek or get bored. For the oos student who isn’t in honors, has a lite major or much extracurricular activity going on, I think pledging could be important particularly if you don’t know a lot of people & come from farther afield. S is doing both with the associated plusses & minuses. I would say it wouldn’t have been as important to him. He does say apart from his brothers all of his friends are in honors.</p>

<p>*STEM students (in particular) are usually very busy with their demanding studies and some students hold jobs in addition to their course load, which takes up additional time so many choose not to go Greek.
*</p>

<p>Very true…and with the scholarship offers of the last few years, Bama has significantly altered the makeup of its campus population. The Engineering school has at least doubled…maybe nearly tripling in size. The number of students who have an ACT 30 and above is probably at least twice what it was a few years ago. Now, 25% of the school enters with an ACT 30+ (or SAT equivalent…not superscored).</p>

<p>When my older son enrolled 5 years ago, Bama enrolled about 65 NMF frosh. Nearly each year that number increased substantially and last fall, Bama enrolled 182 NMF frosh.</p>

<p>*I would think that for a lot of honors kids(I’ll lump in band & sports too) have so much going on that there isn’t a lot of time to go Greek or get bored. *</p>

<p>This is very true. With the growth of the honors college and the school within the last 5 or so years, many old ideas about the school no longer apply. The honors college itself has evolved greatly since my older son was a frosh. The Honors College Assembly, which is still developing, features academic and research opportunities, as well as social development. </p>

<p>Yes, I can see that townies (especially those who aren’t in honors) might feel less-involved without pledging because they aren’t having the dorm-experience and honors/reasearch experiences that take much of a student’s time and focus. However, if pledging isn’t affordable, then they still can get involved with clubs and such. But, it seems like commuters tend to either pledge (and get involved that way) or head to jobs and/or home after classes, which can skew their outlook on campus life. </p>

<p>And, again, some majors do seem to have a higher % of students who are Greek, so if you’re commuting and in one those majors, you could feel like you’re missing out if you don’t pledge.</p>

<p>However, since most, if not all, of the prospective parents/students who visit here will not be commuting from home, their experiences should be very different from those of the commuters.</p>

<p>I am LOVING this thread! I love reading every opinion expressed here. However, IMHO, I don’t feel the Greek/Independent issue is quite as easily navigated as some (especially those not raised in the South) might think. I have two sons. One is a proud STEM geek with super-high stats who his friends describe as “Sheldon with social skills” (Big Bang reference, of course). The other is a glad-handing good ol’ boy who will have decent, well-above average stats (but probably not NMF), will most likely major in the humanities or communications, and probably has a future in politics. Two very different kids–both interested in Bama (the younger even more so than the older—RABID Bama fan, the DS2 is). I am a Southern “sorority girl”, raising my children far from the South (married someone from far away and, somehow, it never occurred to me that I would end up living here. LOL) Anyway, my children are interested in Bama, but have little current interest in being Greek. Like many of your children, if they go to Bama, they will be OOS and probably both in Honors programs at varying levels. There is so much support for the OOS Honors kids now! It’s almost overwhelming the environment they’ve created over the past decade. So, up to the point where they are OOS/Honors/Indies, I’m with you. The OOS/Honors/Indies experience is amazing. </p>

<p>However, here’s where I have to diverge and say I also agree with NBC. Even though my kids look on paper like they are OOS/Honors/Indies-in-the-making, it’s more complicated than that. Without going into great detail, shall we simply summarize by saying that they are…ummm… “culturally Southern”? In other words, most OOS/Honors/Independents don’t have to worry about whether they will see their long-time friends/family members on campus. Or whether they can hang out with their old friends on the weekends. Or whether they can go to parties or football games together if they don’t have a date. Or whether that friend they have known since infancy but who lived thousands of miles away might potentially turn into something more than a “friend” once they are on the same college campus. Few OOS (and by OOS, I mean out-of the Deep—South, as many kids from surrounding states go to Bama with other friends from home) students have friends from home on campus with them. While it is highly unlikely that my kids would have friends from home at UA, they will have dozens of friends and family members on campus while they are there. These are kids they have spent summers and holidays with since they were born. And every single one of those kids will be Greek. </p>

<p>I don’t worry much about my older son. He could go Greek, or not. Won’t matter. He is much more interested in intellectual pursuits than matters of social status. He makes his own fun (though I usually don’t understand its premise and probably can’t pronounce its major components). I’m more worried about my younger son. Though he’s a good student and will probably qualify for Honors if he goes to UA, he identifies much more with the Greeks than the Geeks. If he goes to Bama, he will arrive there with a cohort of Southern female friends, all of whom have been talking to him about UA fraternities since middle school. As of yesterday, he has no interest in fraternities (“I HATE the smell of spilled beer! And I hate cigarette smoke even more. If I had to clean up after a party, I’d barf. Then I’d go home and I wouldn’t care if they kicked me out or not.”) No, fraternity life doesn’t look promising for him…haha. However, if he does not pledge, he WILL be cut off socially from kids with whom he has grown up and, in some cases, shares a bloodline (something I haven’t really discussed with him yet). As OOS kids from 2000 miles away, my kids are clueless about the strong separations between Greeks and Non-Greeks at the UA. It doesn’t happen here where the Greek community is small. If they weren’t going to have friends and family on campus, they would be blissfully unaware that anything was amiss, just as most of your children are. However, for Southern-born and “culturally Southern” kids who fit the Greek profile, but choose for whatever reason not to pledge, I do believe that there are issues that need to be thought out before deciding to move to T-Town.</p>

<p>My kids aren’t anti-Greek, at all. They wear my party shirts from the '80’s. They know what a rec is (I have to write them every summer). They were addicted to “Greek”. LOL. They simply don’t want to clean up beer–soaked party rooms or get hazed. Since it’s their impression that both are part of pledgeship, they have no interest in rushing.</p>

<p>On one hand, I love the fact that they don’t party. At their school, it’s just as cool to be smart and “clean” as it is to be a party animal. There’s a lot of crossover, and whether you go to parties, drink, smoke, etc. doesn’t affect your popularity one way or the other. On the other hand, DS2 always wants to be in the middle of everything, and would be heartbroken if this group of kids he has spent summers and holidays with his entire life suddenly couldn’t be seen with him because he wasn’t wearing a pledge pin. I want to believe that there has been progress on the partying/hazing similar to the great strides on the Indie/Honors front. However, I haven’t seen evidence that is the case. Both of my kids are leaders-- happy-go-lucky, friendly, confident scholars. They aren’t judgmental, don’t care what other people do, and are friends with many of the partiers at their school. However, they simply don’t choose to party. I remember guys like them being in fraternities in college. But they were few in number. I think I remember three, and one was a football player. Not very good odds.</p>

<p>So, I continue to grapple with whether Bama is a good fit for my kids for myriad reasons. Right now, I feel like it’s a better social fit for my older son than my younger, though it’s my younger son who lives and breathes Bama! However, it wasn’t long ago that I wasn’t sure it was a good fit for either of them. Reading everyone else’s experiences is SO helpful and enlightening. Keep it up! There are a lot of us out here who are more lurker than poster who want and need to hear ALL perspectives. And, NBC, I know of what you speak. Some things NEVER change but, fortunately, a few do. It’s trying to figure out the levels and degrees of change and acceptance that gets tricky. ;)</p>

<p>I’m not sure what your concern is. </p>

<p>I have two very different sons…one very shy and the other very out-going. My kids had gone to Catholic K-12 and their high school was small. We’re from Calif and moved to the state before my kids were in high school. My kids, like the many STEM transplant families here in the state, wouldn’t be classified as “southern in culture” (I guess…lol)</p>

<p>Neither of my kids pledged. They’re both STEM majors and frankly didn’t feel that they had the time to be Greek and keep up their grades (both are straight A students), which is important for their ultimate career goals…one to a PhD program, the other to med school. </p>

<p>My younger son came to Bama with friends in tow. The boys got into the same suite. The girls chose suites nearby. A few of the girls pledged, none of the boys did. </p>

<p>I never had any concerns about my younger son…he could go to college on the moon and be fine. Of course, he loves Bama.</p>

<p>I was very concerned about my older son attending Bama, a big school… There were some kids from his graduating class going to Bama, but also none from his social circle. So my shy son arrived at Bama without any of his “social support system”. I was concerned. </p>

<p>He immediately made friends with some kids during WOW week and of course, thru CBHP. He joined the Engineering group that puts on Musical Comedies every semester, which was really stretching his comfort zone.</p>

<p>He has since graduated, but still absolutely adores Bama.</p>

<p>My D arrived on campus as an OOS without any friends from home. She has participated in many different activities and a few organizations since August. She has made many friends, although most of her free time is spent with a close circle of friends she has made on campus (her choice). While the Greek system is very active on campus, not being a part of it has not made her regret going to the UA. She never planned to rush and didn’t. She has nothing against the Greek system, but she also has no interest in being a part of it. I really don’t think general statements like some I’ve read on this thread apply to most students. Like most things in life, I think life on campus depends upon what you make of it.</p>

<p>M2K…I totally agree with you! DH and I are both Bama grads from the 80’s. Neither of us pledged. We both had plenty of friends and fine social lives. For both of us, it was a matter of balancing school and part-time jobs. We both had to work. I was fortunate enough that I had no student loans. My parents paid most of my school but I was expected to work. I think that is actually a good thing. Both of my kids will be soon attending Bama as non-Greek. They will be fine. All you hear is Bama is “so Greek”. Actually, most students are non-Greek. I think people should be friends with who they want regardless of sorority or fraternity affiliation. There were plenty of those same feelings back in the 80’s but honestly, if someone didn’t think it was “cool” or acceptable to socialize with me because I worked a part-time job instead of being in a sorority, I really didn’t consider that to be a real loss. I think for people to base friendships on that is pretty shallow.</p>

<p>bamagirls- I was typing my reply to M2k before I saw your post. Well put! I’m glad your daughter has done well. Hopefully my kids will enjoy it just as your daughter has!</p>

<p>While it is probably true that students who are Greek socialize more with other Greeks due to fraternity/sorority social functions, students who are both Greek/Non-Greek study together,work together, go to class together, research together, attend honors functions together, etc. Get where I am going? Students can choose to socialize with whoever they want, except maybe at certain “Greek Functions”.</p>

<p>Since my concerns aren’t understood, I probably didn’t state them very clearly. However, I’m not sure that any of you who have responded thus far would really understand my concerns because our experiences and perspectives, as well as those of our children, are very different. One of the things that I love about this thread is that there is something for everyone. I can’t remember for sure, but I don’t remember anyone posting on this thread that they could really understand or relate to what NBC was trying to say. But I understood–loud and clear. And I’m pretty sure that other lurkers who could relate to that life experience understood, as well. And the concerns NBC raised were very valid and are more applicable to one of my sons than the other.</p>

<p>It would be a pretty boring thread if all of us came at the issue from the same perspective. As I was reading this thread, I gave the same amount of weight to NBC’s perspective (the one I relate to most closely) as I did to everyone else’s. In fact, for one of my sons, many other perspectives were more applicable than NBC’s, as he would probably more closely identify with the Independent STEM community than the Greek community. However, my younger son, though he would qualify for Honors, would more closely identify with the Greek community than the Independent STEM community. And, he has a ready made cohort, all of whom will be Greek. If he were a girl, the fact that he doesn’t want to drink and get hazed wouldn’t be a problem. I knew lots of girls who, like me, didn’t drink. And I never knew of any sororities that actually hazed. But fraternities are different. DS2 fits the Greek profile, has a cousin who is active in the Greek community, and more family and friends on the way. He would be most likely to find his clan there. However, he doesn’t want to drink or get hazed. I don’t blame him. But, in his case, deciding not to rush has negative social consequences. Whether you can understand the problem there or not, it’s a valid one that can’t be brushed aside by “30,000 students” arguments.</p>

<p>One of the drawbacks of CC is that it attracts more high-stat, academically-competitive kids and their parents, with a strong leaning toward STEM kids. While UA Greeks may include an occasional high-stat STEM kid or two, we all know that they are something of a rarity. The typical in-state/Deep South UA Greek student is not going to be well-represented here. And that is probably the perspective that would be most helpful to address concerns of the sort that NBC and I have raised. UA is amazing, and I could ostensibly end up with both of my children there. Wherever my kids find the best “fit” is where I want them to be. But to suggest that UA is a perfect social fit for every student, and that the Greek/Independent divide doesn’t exist or shouldn’t be a valid concern for some kids is disingenuous. Surely you can allow that there are valid concerns and points of view that differ from your own?</p>