Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Correct. No specific department selects their students. Admissions does it all. And I agree, mays is small so it fills up with a lot of top 10% and those top 10 are obviously smart so definitely helps the prestige of the business school.

1 Like

Yes 3926 are “review-admit” applied to Mays as their first choice major. This number doesn’t count the auto-admit. Among review-admit, the admission percentage is between 19% to 23% in the last three cycles. Prior to 2018 it was 26%-28%. The reason was mainly due to population growth in Texas.

For those who didn’t get into Mays, some were admitted to their second choice, some were admitted to Blinn Team, many good top quartile students chose other universities.

TAMU undergraduate freshmen admission officially not reviewed by departments or faculties. For holistic review (outside auto-admit) applicants, departments only outline their requirements to Admission Office and no department will touch the application material. (For instance engineering won’t admit students with less than 3.5 credits of science in high school) Admission office filter applicants using the criteria and run through the SRAR data. You are correct people should call Mays is very competitive instead of selective as Mays “doesn’t directly select” students.

UT McCombs also stated clearly only admission office make admission decisions but it may be off topic here.

1 Like

Thanks Frisco and Christi. Very helpful and I always enjoy learning some of the nuances of the process. I have heard you also talk about ‘first wave’ for A&M.

If you apply early under holistic, is there any guidance on what is needed in terms of stats to hit the front end of the first wave to get into Mays? From looking at prior year threads, it sounds like many people don’t hear back until Feb or later even if they apply early in which case Mays will have been full much earlier.

Based on Frisco’s post, looks like you almost have to be in first quartile and 1350 or better. I’m sure EC and essays are also important but any additional color would be helpful.

Honestly, high scoring first quarter for holistic review is where the majority sit for Mays. There are maybe a handful of head scratchers each year but the head scratching comes from us on here, obviously something stood out to the reviewers.

Basically I’m saying high score is where it’s at for being comfortable in getting into Mays. Bubble students hear after the first of the year as you stated.

Editing to add that 1350 isn’t going to be a comfortable spot for mays. We’re talking. Mid 1400s to feel confident.

2 Likes

Thanks Christi…very helpful. And just to confirm, shooting for 1400+ would apply to all majors to hear back in “first wave” incl Mays (excl Engineering)? But if you fall below, you may not hear back until after the new year for all majors (incl Mays but excl Engineering)? I left Engineering out because I think that process has the extra holistic review.

1 Like

@bartscott the 1st round of acceptances at TAMU will be true Auto Admits, no holistic. Since 2019, that 1st round has been on or around September 19.
Mays will be full, usually sometime in October or early November. Next wave of acceptances may or may not come before Mays is full. It just all depends on number of applicants, and when the next acceptances are sent. Those with very high test scores (33+ and/or 1440+) PLUS just shy of Top Ten% (like 11-12%) have a good chance at getting into Mays, most likely-again, all depends on the number of applicants, and when they apply.
It’s all about applying early at A&M-for acceptance, paying dorm deposit.
Since I joined in 2019, the numbers keep getting larger & higher-those applying and very high scores.

First wave no. First wave is strictly auto. In September. Then the next round is more auto that applied later and also super high score top quarter. Come November, you’ll get more a mix. There is no safe specific answer. I knew a student with 1480 and 2nd in his class and didn’t get an offer except PSA. From a small school of like 40 kiddos. So it can be very crazy and confusing when results start coming in.

When I’m at my office, I’ll put out what happened when, last cycle. Unless someone can do that before Monday! This will give y’all a better idea of timing and creds Of the student.

Also, these are just what we’ve seen from this site. It’s a small sampling but has Proven to be pretty accurate.

2 Likes

Is it recommended to submit the common application personal essay? I wrote it and have no ideas for Essay A so I’m thinking about just submitting the common app personal essay as Essay A since the prompts are so similar. Should I do that or write a whole new Essay for Essay A (the one that asks you about your story)?

@pablazzz Essay A is required, so you will have to write it. Common application personal essay is optional for Texas A&M

Have a SRAR Question. High School Transcript shows grade for SEM1, SEM2 & Final for say the CHEM Course. Do I enter it on SRAR as Course_Length of "Full Year"or “Semester”. If I enter it as “Semester” it only asks for Sem1 & Sem2 Grade, no place to enter Final Grade. If I enter it as “Full Year” it asks for only Final Grade. Also, seems like SRAR does not ask about how many credits are given for the Course ? Thank you!

Can you please explain the tab indicator?
Thank you!!

Got my answer from SRAR Support.
Both Semester Grades and Final Grades
If your transcript shows final official grades by semester and a full year grade, you may select “Full Year” to record the final grade. You do not need to record the semester grades.

Remaining question : How do you list the course credit (or its not required in SRAR)?

Can you explain how transcripts work? I’m filling out the common app and currently writing the essays and I don’t see where I should put my transcript. Do I request an official or unofficial transcript from my school? Also, do I send it after I submit the common app on a different website or during my application?

Will there be a downside to not submitting the common app essay and is it recommended?

So what is the official “TimeStamp” date for admissions, the date they submit their application or the date they get the banner that says it’s in review?

Actually to answer my own question I finally found above someone answered that it is not until EVERYTHING is submitted.

I did not see a final resolution from the march discussion on to how to enter the maximum GPA into SRAR as whatever EDIT they may is still confusing. My daughters transcript says

Rank GPA 99.5682
College GPA GPA 3.9318
Weighted Numeric 99.5682

So under Cumulative GPA _____ out of ______, what should she put?

1 Like

where did you enter the SRAR information? Is it after your submitted your common app/applytexas application or is it during the application?

Time stamp irrelevant for application unless you’re at the deadline. Time stamp for housing is when your acceptance comes and you complete Phase 1 of housing.

As for srar… @FriscoDad is a whiz at this. He’ll answer it when he can. Neither of my kiddos had to do it. I do know that you must input it as it is listed on transcript. And the out of part is if it’s a 4 5 or 6 point scale. Not what’s the maximum gpa one can get if the got a 100 on everything and had boosted grades for AP courses. Don’t over think it. Last year people were all over the place with it.

2 Likes

On howdy, there are 3 tabs currently. When you’re accepted or about to be accepted, it populates to 6 or I think 7 tabs now. Y’all are way far away from that at this point. Auto admits will be able ti share what it will look like this year.

College GPA is what commonly referred as unweighted. So 3.9318 out of 4.0

You can also calculate yourself to see how your high school get this 3.9318. Treating A as 4.0, B as 3.0, there is no 3.5 or 3.6 for a class credit.

1 Like