Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Yes i’ve been using khan, and yes it’s weighted.

1 Like

@kimseokjin1 others may say differently, but I would not submit that SAT.

2 Likes

I totally agree!!!

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice!! Hoping for improvement.

I’m just really scared because last year, test optional applicants to biology got completely slaughtered. I definitely do not wanna end up like that

Realistically, if you’re not Top 10%, or have an OUTSTANDING ACT/SAT, you need to have solid, sure deal back up schools. College acceptance-across the board-gets more & more competitive & difficult every year.
You need to be using this summer, prepping for both ACT & SAT, like it’s a full time job.

What is a good ACT for A&M? Googled it and saw 25-32.

Last year (class of 2026), we saw kiddos with 32 in top quarter, get Team or even PSA. Then we saw a few that had 28 and too qtr get in. So really depends on the whole package. Unless you’re top 10% or NM finalist… nothing is guaranteed.

2 Likes

Thats great you have signed up for the ACT. Sign up for as many SAT/ACT that you feel comfortable driving too.

A few years ago, my sons junior year fall SAT was similar to yours and it was automatically sent to Tamu. This was the first year of test optional and no one really knew the implications of that. Well, he took the SAT twice more summer and fall of senior year and the ACT October of senior year and was able to get it up to 29 (1350 SAT?). I truly believe this score plus his overall application helped him to get in as a review applicant.

All this to say…you can definitely bring up your score if you are committed to it. Best wishes!

2 Likes

Omg thank you so much!! When did he apply and when did he send his senior year fall ACT score?

1 Like

Think his application was complete the third week in August. I am truly amazed anyone can finish that app in a day - so many short answers, work/award/volunteer info to enter. You can get started on essay, SRAR, and resume now though. Please check and recheck app because it cant be edited.

His fall ACT score was sent automatically - it was a september 2020 test date, sorry - and there was a two week lull between the time ACT said they sent the score and the time it showed up in his Tamu applicant account, as Friscodad eluded to.

He did prepare, using Khan academy and some other online test prep where he took online practice tests. Some people love the prep books - you do you!

Congratulations to you on thinking about this now. You’ve got time!

2 Likes

After you apply TAMU will assign you a rank based on your SRAR data.
Please make sure you calculate your unweighted GPA correctly. TAMU primarily look at unweighted, not weighted. Double check your SRAR, you can start SRAR before application (Apply Texas) opens.

If your SAT is low in first try (< 1200) don’t submit it. Since you mention Biology, may be ACT is a better route. Try one full practice test. ACT sub-score need to be even, an average of 30 will be better. In the past, some getting higher average but a low math or reading or science score may not get their major.

If you still go for SAT, Khan academy and some on-line resources have some strategies to quickly pull scores up (e.g. from 1100 to 1300), you have nearly three good months, work hard on it and if you look at the scoring table, all it takes is just a few more correct multiple choices in each section.

Also in these three months, work on short answers for the application. In the application, choose yes in the question on “will you consider Blinn”. The transition barrier from Blinn Team to TAMU is very low for Biology (GPA 3.0) and you can enjoy $2K savings in tuition.

3 Likes

Rising Seniors & Parents-
This is a fabulous page to like/follow on FB (photo is a screenshot of her page).
Wendy’s post today is a timeline of what you should be doing right now, preparing to apply in August. Highly recommend following (too long to screenshot the whole post).

1 Like

Where can I find the TAMU short answers? They aren’t on the admissions website. Only mentions an essay

Here is the list from current admission cycle

1. If there are additional personal challenges, hardships, or opportunities (including COVID related experiences) that have shaped or impacted your abilities or academic credentials, which you have not already written about
  2. Texas A&M University believes that diversity is an important part of academic excellence and that it is essential to living our core values. Describe the benefits of diversity and inclusion for you and for the Texas A&M campus community. Please share any personal experiences that have shaped your views.
  3. Tell us about the person who has most impacted your life and why.
  4. Describe a life event which you feel has prepared you to be successful in college.
  5. Essay A:
    Tell us your story. What unique opportunities or challenges have you experienced throughout your high school career that have shaped who you are today?
  6. Essay B:
    Most students have an identity, an interest, or a talent that defines them in an essential way. Tell us about yourself.
  7. Essay C:
    You’ve got a ticket in your hand – Where will you go? What will you do? What will happen when you get there?

1-4 are short essays they limit the number of words to around 250 so you can consider short answers.

Note that Essay A is required, B and C are optional. But of course fill out all essays if you are not auto-admit (top 10%).

It is interesting if you can see the topic, Essay A, B and C represents your past, present and future. So filling all out give reviewer a better view of you.

If you wonder why so many essays, that’s because TAMU has two-tier (stages or rounds) review process for review admit. The first round is usually between late September and November and mostly the auto-admit, or review admit with high scores. Second round can be December through March. For review admits, essays touching the right points will be critical for admission if their rank and ECs are borderline.

Engineering has another essay: Describe your academic and career goals in the broad field of engineering (including computer science, industrial distribution, and engineering technology). What and/or who has influenced you either inside or outside the classroom that contributed to these goals?

6 Likes

I had a question regarding the rigor of high school classes for admission. Is there a certain metric that is used to determine this? How are students compared?

The rigor is compared via SRAR. In there, each class can be assigned different types (on-level, AP, College Prep, Pre-AP, Dual Credit). Of course, the type has to match the official transcript. It is better to send official transcript for both auto (required) and non-auto even with SRAR.

Different colleges have different ways of interpreting the data, but most public colleges will ignore some classes they regard as irrelevent.

There is also a tool TAMU uses similar to USNews for ranking high schools. High schools with higher percentage of students taking the actual College Board AP tests rank higher. Taking just the AP class in high schools (for boosting ranking) is the not the same as actually taking the public tests. High school ranking/competitiveness doesn’t play a direct role in admission decisions, but one can see more lower ranking students accepted in a competitive high school than a less competitive high school.

If student achieves AP scholar, even though AP test scores not used in making decisions, the student should upload AP scholar award to AIS via document upload. Academic awards are useful for honor and scholarship applications as well.

Even with high AP scores, it is strategically better to not claim college credits until after admission or even during advising in NSC but that’s another topic.

6 Likes

In addition to @FriscoDad’s list, two years ago there was a short answer for something like “What are your interests and hobbies”? If possible, use this answer to demonstrate a passion for your intended major.

Thank you both for your replies, Friscodad and Eggscapegoats. I had not even heard about AP scholar and hopefully my student will qualify (waiting on 2 AP test results at the moment.)

I did have one specific question re: math. We are finalizing classes for senior year and debating taking precalculus. If my student decides not to take it, how severely will that impact the chance of being admitted? I was hoping it’s not a dealbreaker but I’m thinking it might be… (My student did not take it this past year because our school only offers Honors/DC sections of the course and we were afraid of a lower grade torpedoing the GPA.)

Its going to be asked so…What is your students intended major?

Regardless of major, they will have to take at least two of the following so its good to prepare by taking the highest math possible in HS plus it looks better for course rigor. Math 140 is essentially precalc

MATH 140 Mathematics for Business and Social Sciences 3
MATH 142 Business Calculus 3
MATH 147 Calculus I for Biological Sciences 4
MATH 148 Calculus II for Biological Sciences 4
MATH 150 Functions, Trigonometry and Linear Systems 4
MATH 151 Engineering Mathematics I 4
MATH 152 Engineering Mathematics II 4
MATH 167 Explorations in Mathematics 3
MATH 168 Finite Mathematics 3
MATH 171 Calculus I 4
MATH 172 Calculus II 4
PHIL 240 Introduction to Logic 3
STAT 201 Elementary Statistical Inference

Major is undecided but will not be anything math heavy like engineering. (He would like Mays but it’s probably a long shot). I take it he would get credit for the rigor by taking it senior year even if he won’t have grades to submit before acceptances go out?

1 Like