Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

My senior is also waiting on holistic review for the College of Arts/Sciences. Do you all think there will be another admissions wave before December?

Apply early is important for auto. In general, for holistic review applicants, it shows interest as well as allowing themselves time to fix unexpected issues.

You will be surprised every year, there are a few hundreds (to the tune of 350) applicants not realizing they are missing one or half of a credit in math or science even though they rank top 10%. Applying early (and ask question early) allow applicants to learn that even though test optional, it is still better to take the test not just for decisions, but for fulfilling the state mandated TSI requirement. Applying late or close to deadline will likely get a deferment in decisions to Spring (AIS will show a red banner stating deferring decisions before winter break). Official (boilerplate) answers will deny any advantage or faireness applying early or late. It is a matter of whether the applicants are patient enough to wait for decisions in Spring.

Many may have repeated this - For TAMU, they use only UW GPA. All Texas public high school are required to rank top 10% and provide TAMU (or any other public colleges) grade distribution profile. If close to top10% and/or high scores, there is a good chance of getting decisions before winter break. Otherwise, majority of decisions are in Spring (Jan to March). TAMU doesn’t consider legacy. Only TAMU Engineering has EA options. 60-70% of admissions are released between January to March every year.

3 Likes

What is considered “high scores” in reference to possibly hearing before winter break? Does that mean high ACT/SAT scores have a better chance of hearing a decision sooner rather than later?

ChristiR93 answered earlier. Still need to be in 1Q, safer to be close to top 10%. The only exception is Mays which is first come first serve cannot apply too late.

2 Likes

My senior is a National Merit Commended Scholar with a 1480 SAT, AIS first quarter. I was hopeful that we would hear before January, but less optimistic now.

There are still three weeks, what major?

1 Like

College of Arts/Sci - statistics as first choice, economics as second. I’ve heard mostly Mays and Engineering admits, very few from other schools so far. Trying to stay positive!

Everything green checked in AIS? Make sure student checks email if AO asks questions or requests something.
Chances of hearing before winter break is still high. Majority of students get acceptance between January and March.

2 Likes

Yes, green checked as of end of August. I’ll remind my DD to keep checking emails and portals at least weekly. Thank you!

Has anyone heard from Mays schools on their honors program admissions. My Daughter got admitted to Mays and is awaiting honors program decisions. Any idea when they come out?

@Collegemichmatt what are her stats-
Rank/gpa/test scores, etc?

For my son who is a HS sophomore thinking of the Corps.

Corps interest isn’t on the chart of factors and I believe the standard A&M response is that you must be admitted to the university first and then you can join the Corps. (Admission is the only criteria for joining the Corps - there is no separate Corps selection process.)

But….I also heard that the Corps is looking to grow and actively recruiting kids so that if you express interest, the real answer is that it helps get you accepted. If that’s true - any tips? Other than campus visits and Corps overnights? He’s already filled out the online form saying he intends to join if he is accepted.

After having a son go through the Corps and graduate from A&M, I don’t really think checking the box helps. IMO, it just puts you on the mailing list for the Corps. If your son wants to serve in the military after graduation, then have him apply for the ROTC scholarship early in his senior year. If he gets it, that does for sure help them get admitted. In the meantime, have him work on the things that will get him the scholarship (hold leadership positions, play sports, be a team captain, academics, etc).

2 Likes

Thanks!

1500 SAT. Very close to top 10 at a very competitive school in Dallas, Good ECs, leadership role etc. Note sure if it is enough to get her through, but lets see!

1 Like

Trying to advise my daughter if it is wise to change majors at this point in the process, she originally applied to FIVS (Forensic Investigative Sciences) but is wanting possibly change to Biochemistry since it will allow her to be more versatile in job options. She is an Early College HS student and #12 in her class of the 51 kids that made it through the program, so she is top Quarter. Her SAT is not high so she is going to be close in review as it is. It seems like the FIVS program is a little more selective and does not offer Team or other avenues and she is going to have 63 hours of Dual Credit so I know that a change of major once (if) she is admitted will be difficult. Does this pull her out of line when she applied early (8/1)? @FriscoDad
She has been accepted to every program that she has applied to so far and leaning toward the program that UNT has.
She wants to come to A&M with her sister but she also wants to be her own person!

How many hours of DC counts towards FIVS or BICH? You can check using TCCNS (Texas Common Course Numbering System < Texas A&M Catalogs < Texas A&M University, College Station, TX) Too many will be an issue because TAMU wants students taking critical classes like Organic Chem at TAMU.
What is her UW GPA on DC?

First review is taking place now so I will not suggest changing major right now. If FIVS is full, TAMU will admit first to an open degree plan. Student however can change second major to BICH.

3 Likes

Her UW GPA on DC is 4.0, UW HS GPA 3.93, she has not taken any Science that will transfer in because she didn’t decide on a Science major before she took Biology, so she will have to take 3 years to take her math and science at TAMU, I will have to look up and see exactly what credits will transfer toward the degree. She took Elem Stats this semester so she doesn’t have to take any additional Math classes to graduate HS or for her Associate degree next semester but was thinking of taking the Business Math that was required for the FIVS degree in the Spring semester.

So approx 24-27 hours would actually count toward her degree in FIVS, all general requirements for any degree, the rest she would need to take at TAMU, all science, math and FIVS major classes.

BICH freshmen year can be competitive, the normal route for freshmen is taking AP CHEM and AP Biology and then not claiming any AP credit at TAMU.
DC will be a little challenging because from DC to OrChem can be tough. Essays are important in explaining this route.

As for FIVS, there are non-FEPAC and FEPAC route. Non-FEPAC aims for pre-law while FEPAC is science oriented. Although this may not be decided during freshmen application, it is preferable for applicants to show their interest in essays which path the applicants choose. FIVS does not have Blinn contract but one can still get in via Blinn Team and Change of Major (COM) process. COM is similar to transfer but get favorable consideration over transfer as 15 hours of classes are to be taken at TAMU.

2 Likes