Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

1st Quarter is good!
I HIGHLY recommend doing a Corps Overnight, especially if he hasn’t done anything ROTC related or doesn’t have older friends/siblings who have been in the Corps.

If you don’t mind, what is this 1st Quarter? Appreciate some link/info.

Sure. I will encourage him to visit the Corps. Thanks for the suggestion though

1 Like

(Assuming he’s not Top Ten%, since he hasn’t been accepted) Does his high school rank? Some don’t. If it doesn’t rank, then TAMU assigns a rank. 1st Quarter is what you want, if he’s coming from a non-ranking hs.

@FriscoDad is the Engineering guru. He can look at your thread, son stats and give his thoughts.

1 Like

Sure. His HS doesn’t rank.

Thanks for comforting words. He opted as Aerospace as first choice major.

His stats are for @FriscoDad

1. GPA 4/4 UW
  2. SAT 1360
  3. STEM activity in assembling a satellite
  4. Voluntary space imagery project with Zooniverse
  5. Two international bronze medals in Karate
  6. Community collaboration work
  7. Voluntary community service
1 Like

Are the sub scores even? If math is way lower than reading it can be an issue.
Was it all green-checked in AIS on 10/13? or paying application fee on 10/13 via CommonApp/ApplyTexas?
Is first quarter close to top 10% or close to top 25%?
4.0 UW may indicate weaker course strength, any AP/DC especially on STEM subjects? Don’t need a lot but may explain the wait though.

2 Likes

Does anyone have the stats of second quarter (ranked by A&M) kids being admitted to either Texas A&M or Blinn Team? We would be thrilled with either. ACT score is in range but not exceptional. A lot of EC, volunteering and work experience

What is ACT score? Second quarter will not hear back til after the Hollidays at the earliest (unless super high scorer and solid course rigor).

ACT 27
7 APs
We know it will be spring but wondering if there is even a shot with these stats - would be fine with Blinn Team or Gateway but doesn’t want to do Blinn (all because of Rush)

3.95 Weighted GPA

1 Like

@FriscoDad
He has 710 in SAT Math with sub scores :
Command of evidence - 14/15 98%; Words in Context 13/15 94%; Expression of ideas 13/15 96%; Heart of Algebra 11/15 84%; problem solving 14/15 97%; passport to adv math 14/15 97%.

Applied through CommonApp and all is green on AIS. His first major choice is Aerosapce Engg.

How do we know 1st quater close to top 10% or not? I am not so sure.

Two questions for the helpful group (with apologies if they’ve been answered a bunch!): If an admitted student has been awarded a merit scholarship, will it appear in Howdy? Can we apply for housing even if we aren’t committing to attending yet?

Merit scholarship will come mostly in Spring. You can apply housing even though you haven’t committed. Normally scheduling NSC is a sign of commitment.

1 Like

If all green-check is after 10/15 then will be regular decision.
There is a chance for TEAB, or full admission if rank is closer to 10%, all Texas public schools have grade distribution data. TAMU has the data. Normally high school counselors have the data, sometimes it is in the last page of the official transcript.

1 Like

Application was submitted on 10/13.
They asked for Class Rank report and school counsellor uploaded on 10/17. AIS is flashing the message below and confirmed that they received all documents by 10/17.

Freshman Engineering Applicants Early Action deadline – If your documents are received by Monday, October 17th, they will be accepted as on time.

Other schools clearly stated the application consideration for EA or regular. TAMU’s AIS page doesn’t has any such information.

BTW, all of his documents including counselor report are received with date 10/16. So, hopefully, we are in for EA.

@BeccaRuth you definitely want to pay the non-refundable $75 Housing fee, even if student isn’t sure where they will go. Dorm selection, which takes place in the spring, is based on time stamp Housing deposit was paid. Pay it NOW!! It’s a 2 step process, so don’t stop until you get a message that says something like, “next step is phase 2”.
You have until April 30 to cancel the Housing contract, before you’re committed to pay.

1 Like

Aggieland Saturday (February 11, 2023) registration is now open. The schedule of events is “coming soon.”

https://visit.tamu.edu/register/aggieland-saturday

1 Like

I’ve searched this thread but am still confused.

What is the real advantage of applying on August 1 for a holistic applicant (not Mays, not Engineering)?

My daughter applied on August 1 and listed Construction Science as her first choice. I’m reading posts that imply that because she selected Construction Science, she won’t hear until Jan/Feb and that her chances are worse than if she had chosen a different major. If that is the case, then what advantage does she have because she applied early? And how does that square with A&M’s representation that “you’ll be accepted to the University first”/choice of major doesn’t matter?

Stated another way - Does she have a better chance of full admission to TAMU (regardless of major) because she applied on August 1 than someone with similar stats who applied later? Does she have a better shot of getting her first choice major than others because she applied on August 1? (If someone applied later but had better stats, will they “jump” her in the process and get admitted/get their first choice before she does? So that the “advantage” is only against similarly situated applicants?) Would she have had a better chance if she had chosen a bigger, less competitive major?

Also, curious - does the fact that she is a woman matter? Stats show ~85% of Construction Science majors are men.

FWIW - Holistic review. Non-ranking very competitive, top ranked public Texas HS - assigned top 25% by AIS. Decent SAT = 1320, 11 (now 14) APs - including advanced math/Calculus and AP sciences; 4.15 weighted GPA, 3.68 unweighted. Basketball, leadership, NHS, Cornerstone Athlete Award, academic awards, all the extra curriculars, all the volunteer hours, part-time jobs, great (IMO) essays which included mentions of her desire to attend TAMU. Third generation Aggie, including two Aggie parents. A million visits to B/CS. Official tour. Diehard Aggie fan. Does any of that matter? Everything I’m reading indicates it is a straight numbers game. Top 10% or super high-test scores/GPA is the only way in. Has anyone gotten in with her stats yet?

I also have a son who is a sophomore in HS and wants to join the Corps, so I’m trying to educate myself so that he puts himself in the best position when the time comes for him to apply. Does interest in the Corps help at all? He’s already filled out the form on-line and gone for a campus visit. He’ll do a Corps Day/overnight stay next year.

I probably should have broken this post into ten separate questions. Ha. Please help a desperate mom.

1 Like

@RachelMTAMU94 Its my understanding, based on what admissions and individual department counselors have said is that freshmen are admitted first (nothing to do with desired major) and then put into a major. All freshman are competing against one another based on the following criteria in the C7 chart.

IMHO, admissions grades all the holistic applications (based on the chart above, like 25,000 or more?), and knowing how many holistic admissions can be offered and assuming the makeup of the previous year will be similar to the present year, they can start offering admission early to some of the holistic apps a high grade. I think it is good to apply early because a holistic app on the edge could get offered admission early.

In the chart, please note how talent/ability is considered very important. I believe this refers to talent/ability of the applicant towards their intended major, or their passion towards their intended major. If this is true, this is the one area where major selected may affect admissions. Would love to hear admissions take on this

1 Like

Thanks. That’s helpful. I’ve seen that chart before, so I get that those factors are important, but it doesn’t mention the timing of an application. I think you are probably right - that if she’s on the bubble, then she may get in because she applied first. So that’s the “advantage.”

Do any kids get full admission after first getting assigned Blinn TEAM or other option? If so, is there data available for those numbers?

In the past four years, there have been students assigned Blinn on this thread who report being contacted by admissions and offered full admission (in May or April, if I remember correctly). @ChristiR93 will know. Dont know of any formal data, sorry.

1 Like