Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

And it isn’t all scholarships unfortunately. My kid has a maroon scholarship for more than $4K but it says it isn’t eligible for the tuition waiver.

1 Like

@divarose yes, you are correct. I don’t know all the deets on every scholarship, which are included/accepted for tuition waiver, or not.
The Maroon scholarship is one that isn’t stackable.

@gogogogobruins yes, Corps scholarships are of course included, as they’re offered by TAMU.

@divarose this is interesting…looks like Maroon Scholarship is being discontinued, after the students entering this coming fall.

Huh! That’s interesting. Curious if they are doing something else for OOS students, or will be doing less for them in the future.

1 Like

@divarose who knows? I’d assume less, but that’s just sheer speculation :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Thank you so much. Really helpful.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for asking kid’s major if everyone is admitted to general engineering and need to apply ETAM to get into specific major in Sophomore?

ETAM has evolved the last few years. Asking the major during application allows TAMU plan for resources a year ahead.
Even though TAMU posted over 80% gets their first choice majors, the situation varies by majors. For competitive majors like Computer Science, 302 gets in auto-ETAM (freshmen GPA >=3.75), holistic review for first choice (GPA <3.75) picked 58 out of 236 (24.6%). That means 178 didn’t get Comp Science (likely their original applying majors). The second is CPEN (50.6%), then AERO (50.8%), MEEN (59.7%) followed by BMEN (67.9%) Anything below the average (80.5%) is consider competitive, these areas are what TAMU should expand financial resources in the next cycle.

2 Likes

No. Admissions is 100% in control. If there’s room, you get first choice. If not 2nd. If full then they’ll put in general studies or ask you to pick from open majors.

2 Likes

This whole you get admitted to TAMU and not the major seems strange but I’m sure you are correct. My D23 application is so much stronger than D21 application. Both applied early August - D21 was accepted 10/29 and D23 checks her Howdy every morning before school anxiously awaiting a decision. She won’t open any mail she gets from all the other schools who accepted her. I’m praying we hear before Dec 15 - assuming that’s Tamu winter break.

2 Likes

I totally concur that it seems like the major (dept)would pick. They do it that way for transfer students. But they preach and preach and preach that you’re accepted into Tamu first. Then major.

Good luck to your daughter.

Thank you. It’s helpful to see the breakdown of numbers :pray:

@TamuDad15. I’m reading a lot of posts with this recurring theme. Parents with multiple kids who have applied and commenting on how it is increasingly difficult/more competitive this year. . I wonder if this is a banner year for TAMU applications? And SAT scores are crazy high, also. COVID rebound?

1 Like

@TamuDad15 every year seems to get tougher/more competitive, if not auto admit. Even 2 years can make a big difference, especially (it seems) if applying test optional or not submitting very high (33/1450+) scores.

I agree, @TAMUMAMA !

1 Like

It does seem to get more competitive each year. I read elsewhere that TAMU may even change auto-admit to be 9% or 8% in coming years, so it will be even harder for my DD26.

My DD23 has a strong application as a non-auto and she heard back right away from UTD and Baylor but her top choice is TAMU. The waiting is hard.

3 Likes

I still wonder if it would have been better to not admit scores if they weren’t in the 1400+ range

My daughter’s friends submitted strong applications and have not heard yet. I think someone mentioned that 40% of the applicants will hear before the winter break — but a majority (60%) will hear in January. Best of luck to your D23.

1 Like

Same here! A friend’s 21’ son has similar stats with mine. He applied early August and was accepted in October. We check portal every morning but nothing updated. I also hope we can hear before Christmas break. Finger crossed!!

1 Like

It’s all so unpredictable- we have two friends that were accepted this week both second quarter, both with 5.9 weighted GPA and both with 28-30 ACT.

1 Like

*congrats my daughter is Biochem class of ‘24 she says it is a degree not for the faint of heart :rofl:

1 Like