Texas A&M Class of 2028 Official Thread

@SilviaWS have you seen this?? Think I’d have your student contact Admissions…AGAIN!

Wow, just wow @Rford5. I’ve never heard or seen this, and it certainly isn’t published on their Admissions page. Feels a little ‘sneaky/slippery slope-ish’ to me.
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This may be the first year they are doing it. It did not seem to be that way 2 years ago when my daughter applied (though she was well in the clear).

2 Likes

Were they auto admitted by having an established class rank, or were they unranked?

My son’s school, Wilson Hill Academy is a Texas based private school that my son will graduate from online. The school counselors have insisted they don’t provide a class rank. Will they be providing this GDR you are mentioning? My son has a 4.7+ GPA and 1340 SAT. Wondering where he’ll come out on the assigned class rank. Any ideas?

1 Like

@JTBlizzard731 has he already applied? What majors?

Your student’s graduating class size is very small, so the rank won’t be used much. The SAT score will carry heavy weight in holistic review.

One major concern for on line school is making sure SRAR showing your student have enough required credits. One mostly unknown feature of automatic college admission is, the high-school diploma has to be “distinguished” level. (see below link for detail). Sometimes student assume “computer science” is science, it is not. Some private schools may not have enough resources to provide 4 to 4.5 credits for math (they will award foundation level diploma with 3 math credits).

For some small size schools, TAMU may use historical data of previous cycles and their performance in TAMU as reference. But if you believe your student’s assigned rank is too low, contact AIS or upload documents to see if you can convince them to change. Good Luck!

1 Like

That certainly is very good news and @SilviaWS certainly can ask the third time, may be reminding AO with the actual rank and calculation. But I think the student’s above median score will be enough.

It certainly open a lot of arguments that further confirms applying early is important. Many high schools rank up to top 10% nowadays, so if one just passed the cutoff of 10%, while TAMU has the quartile cut off of 25%, it will be hard to figure out who is 10.4% and who is 10.5%.

3 Likes

Has anyone been accepted from top 10% yet?

I think a number of people can see their 7 tabs, but acceptances for top 10% probably won’t go out until late September or early October (at least based on prior years).

Someone mentioned this earlier, but I’ll repeat as I found it helpful. If you click “my dashboard” tab and then overview, you should see an “admitted” fall 2024 if top 10%. It may say “engineering review” or something like that but also admitted. Incidentally, I looked back on my son’s admission and it was September 22, 2020 for him. I think it was a week or two later for the official engineering admission.

2 Likes

@DiDog50 great explanation! :white_check_mark:
Sept 19 was the first acceptance date in 2018, I think it was Sept 23/24 this past year (or year before).

Thank you! Very helpful to know!

Thank you DiDog - very helpful. He is top 10%, however I don’t see anything under mydashboard / overview. It’s just blank. We have all 7 tabs and green check boxes. Will keep checking.

He has applied, Mays 1st, Econ 2nd.

I looked at the 2027 thread and September 22 seemed like the first notices as well.

2 Likes

@FriscoDad when you say the rank won’t be used much, what do you mean? Wilson Hill says that they don’t rank, so shouldn’t his GPA carry him to get a high assigned rank by Texas A&M? Essentially he’s gotten straight As and done APs and Honors classes. He has only one A-, making his unweighted GPA nearly a perfect 4.0. He did follow the TEA curriculum requirements for the purpose of distinguished graduate, so he should be top 10% eligible.

Make sure the semester is Fall 2024 under mydashboard. I noticed it blank too until checking the semester.

TAMU use unweighted GPA, so maximum is 4.0. But just because one get 4.0 doesn’t mean rank can be assigned right away. SRAR will generate a separate course strength index for admission office to review.
What is the AIS assigned rank currently? And what is the major your student is applying?

The rank assigned currently is first quartile, and he is applying for Mays 1st, Econ 2nd.

He has taken rigorous courses: APs and Honors classes. He’s also CLEPed about 12 hours of classes. Don’t know if that is useful to add to the app so we haven’t as of yet.