Texas A&M or Texas Tech

Hello I am looking to transfer to either Tech or A&M to pursue my BS in Kinesiology. I recently graduated from a community college (San Jac) and will be transferring 92 credits. I went on a campus tour to Tech and fell in love with it, but the 9 hour drive from Houston is a huge problem, so I decided to see about Texas A&M. My GPA is 3.15 and I am an active member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. I plan on hopefully minoring in Horticulture as well. I want to live on campus to gain the full college experience. Do I have any chance of getting in at Texas A&M? Which school is better?

Come on somebody, anybody reply back!

Texas A&M is the better school, and its closer. I would go with that if I had the choice. Im not taking anything away from Texas Tech tho, Its a great school. You should see if you get into them first and then decide, other wise if you decide on one and dont get into it but get into the other one you may be a bit dissapointed

Give it until later tonight. A lot of people who help out here don’t log on until after work or until after work and family, around 9-10 pm or so.
The residence halls and white creek apartments are reserved for freshman. However, upper classmen have resided there, there is just steps you must take to apply to do so. There are upperclassmen apartments on campus. You might call reslife about them. I believe you must be an accepted student to apply. Find out what all of your options are for on campus upperclassman housing.

With your GPA, it sounds like your application will be given preference. That said, with limited acceptances per their website, a known number taken is not known nor are the stats of those candidates.

Have you contacted TAMU regarding transferring? Here is a link you might find helpful, if you have not seen it.
http://hlknweb.tamu.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions.

In part, it says:

TRANSFERS

The BS in Health Allied Health and School Health options, the BS in Community Health and the BS in Kinesiology Applied Exercise Physiology, Basic Exercise Physiology and Motor Behavior options are all impacted majors. Admission to these programs is limited.

For questions about transferring into HLKN, contact Casey Ricketts at 979-862-7167 or cricketts@education.tamu.edu. In addition to Texas A&M admission requirements, transfer applicants must follow HLKN transfer admissions requirements:

Minimum 2.75 GPR
Completion of 24 transfer hours
Must have grades on transcript at time of review to be considered for admission
Students with a GPR of 3.0 or higher are given preference.

Note: Applicants are reviewed by committee and admitted on a competitive basis. Meeting the minimum requirements listed does not guarantee admission.

Thank you. I will contact her asap.

I haven’t kept up with admissions into Kinesiology at A&M, but I am an A&M Kinesiology grad. They have an excellent program.

What do you want to do with your kinesiology degree?

I want to become a PT. (Physical Therapist)

@carachel2 I want to become a PT. I’ve decided I didn’t want to attend A&M anymore, I am leaning towards TTU or ASU now.

One of my children attends ASU and the other attends TTU. What would help you make your decision?

@ChurchillDad , how do they like it? What are their thoughts on either schools? Does the child that attends TTU say that the class sizes are small?

Have you looked at Mary Hardin-Baylor? They have apparently expanded their DPT program was just talking to a DPT at UTMD about it. ALSO look at UT-SA.

@MariaHEHE both are satisfied with their choices. ASU main campus is very large, like A&M. However, I believe your intended major would be at the Phoenix downtown campus, so it would be at a small campus in a big city. ASU main campus is a short ride on the light rail from downtown. Phoenix has mild winters and very hot summers. TTU is the inverse, a large campus in a small city. Lubbock has variable weather, and very windy.

As for class sizes, since you’re transferring with so many credits, you’ll probably be in smaller classes with fellow majors. Both ASU and TTU tend to have large classes for underclassmen. My son enrolled in the Honors College at TTU, so his classes were usually small, 18-25 students. You can always check the class registration counts online to see the enrollments for specific classes. Let me know what else you’d like to know.

@MariaHEHE - If you can get into ASU’s Barrett Honors College, go for it. It’s ranked number one among all public university honors colleges. They have a separate enclosed campus within the ASU main campus and a separate floor in the downtown dorms. Lot’s of other bells and whistles.

@ChurchillDad , oh I thought we were on the same page in terms of universities. ASU I meant Angelo State, but Arizona is a beautiful state. Do Texas residents get a discounted tuition?

My misunderstanding. No, Arizona State does not offer a tuition discount for OOS students. However, Freshman Merit Aid awards are sometimes adjusted higher to account for the OOS differential. Not sure if this is the case for transfer students, though.

@MariaHEHE - https://scholarships.asu.edu/estimator

Never mind, the estimator does not work for transfer students.

I am a current Senior Kinesiology major at TTU and I have nothing but fantastic things to say about Tech’s program. The students and faculty work so well together and every year it seems to improve. Each year when new hires are being interviewed, they have an hour long presentation to current Kinesiology students and current professors listen to our opinions. The professors are incredibly talented and do a lot of research that gets the students in the program involved.
Most of my friends are Kinesiology majors and are in the process of applying to graduate/profession programs and have had a ton of success. I truly believe that this program produces a great candidate for any job position or graduate program. I have so many great things to say about this program and I have faith that it is only going to get better and better.