Texas A&M vs. University of Florida for Engineering

For engineering, my son is debating between:

Texas A&M – Engineering Honors
University of Florida – Honors College & University Scholar Research Program

He received a scholarship making either school financially feasible with no debt.

We would appreciate any insight, opinions, thoughts, etc. on each program.

Thank you!

A&M doesn’t guarantee a major - it’s not direct entry to a specific major. That would be the concern.

Both are great schools

Entry to a Major Process | Texas A&M University Engineering (tamu.edu)

What particular kinds of engineering are of interest?

At Texas A&M, engineering students who make a 3.75 college GPA in the first few semesters can choose any engineering major. The others apply into a competitive admission process for any space left. Some majors like computer science, computer engineering, and biomedical engineering tend to have little or no space left for those who do not have a 3.75 college GPA.

Thank you. I did forget to mention that he is direct admit to engineering at A & M.

OK, thank you! Most likely mechanical engineering. But, honestly I don’t think he will know for sure until he’s in a program and exposed to the different options. Do you think A & M is a better engineering school overall than UF?

If your looking at just rank Texas AM is #13 and UF is #33. Usnwr.

But I would also look at rank per major but if he doesn’t know then you have the above. Where does he see himself being an active participate on campus at? Which fit was better for him?

1 Like

I really think rank is unimportant in engineering. A&M will be a bigger name but likely won’t lead to a bigger outcome.

Both great names. One in Gainesville - small city. One in Texas - also a smaller metro area.

But have airports (small). Both are very large.

Both have other strong majors should engineering not work out.

It’s really personal preference.

PS - you might look at the Honors curriculums and requirements. Not all are the same - and not all appeal to everyone.

1 Like

Note that TAMU admits to general engineering and then students put in for their preferred majors in the 2nd semester. The GPA bar is very high to guarantee the first choice. (See @ucbalumnus post). Getting a 3.75 in engineering is not easy, especially first semester with all the transitions that are happening. Just because your student is in the CoE at TAMU, does not mean that he’ll be able to declare for mechanical engineering.

But wasn’t the enrollment due on 5/1?

1 Like

Yes - but not to a major in a specific discipline of engineering - or does he have a special privilege to choose his major right away unlike other students?

Edit - I see @momofboiler1 just stated…more eloquently.

1 Like

This is all good practical advice! Maybe you are right, it will come down to preference of the overall experience each school has to offer. Thank you! We will compare the honors programs in more depth–good idea!

A&M’s alumni connections & networking is such a huge benefit in Texas. If he thinks he will live in Texas after he graduates, that should be a strong consideration.

1 Like

Got it! I will remind my son. I wonder if that will influence his decision…
I think he is trying to figure out if A & M’s engineering is truly stronger than UF and worth passing on UF’s honors and research program.

He does not have a special privilege to choose any discipline, so this is a good reminder. Thank you! I just don’t think that is going to influence his decision very much.

2 Likes

I think he would enjoy living in Texas, and with many large cities that is a big plus!

I’m curious too. :slightly_smiling_face: Did he get an extension?

1 Like

I will agree. A&M alums are like a cult. Like nothing I’ve seen. I say that in a good way. They identify with A&M more than any other personal characteristic it seems …

But given that recruiting is mainly done on line today and grads can end up anywhere - my kid had offers from the NE to mountain states and he’s at school in the SE…I would not choose a school based on where I want to end up.

It could be both are great choices for him.

The Gator Nation is alive and well!
I think major-wise your son will get an excellent education at either school. Have you visited both? Which one does he like better? I will say the perk of preferred registration is great. The honors dorm really makes a difference in meeting people. Honors have their own clubs also at UF.

1 Like

It is. But nothing is like A&M. I work with UF people and call on A&M.

An A&M starts every personal introduction in their life with A&M, Class of ……

It’s probably part of their wedding vows :slight_smile:

Both fine schools.

1 Like

I have heard this about Texas A & M! Sounds like a fun club! :slight_smile:

A cult :).