Textbooks

<p>Just a plug for ordering textbooks on line through the University Supply Store. Although probably not the most economical means of buying books, D got on and ordered all that she needed for Fall Semester through the Supply Store (bookstore in the Ferg). It was so easy and then all we had to do was go over and pick them up…they were all sacked up and ready to go. I would suggest this ONLY for incoming Freshman…second semester we hunted and searched on line (very frustrating!!!). It was cheaper and since we were not more “experienced” it went fine.
We chose the Supply Store option for Fall only because as a Freshman there are so many adjustments that not having to deal with “hunting” for textbooks and the simplicity of just showing up to get them was a real plus! Just something to think about…with all the things to get done moving in and getting settled it was nice to have this be so easy and convenient.</p>

<p>Very true…</p>

<p>And, at least you can try early to get the SUPE’s used books for some savings.</p>

<p>Don’t worry if your child changes his schedule between ordering and pick-up time, you can adjust that. I’ve been able to call and get orders changed.</p>

<p>Is there a final definitive word on whether international versions of textbooks are ok? Anyone who has looked can see the obvious savings by using these, but I’ve heard varying reports on if they are allowed, work as well etc. Has anyone on here actually used these versions?</p>

<p>Well, DS will be taking pretty standard core classes like Honors Western Civ…sounds as if it would be a good idea to try to order that text online, at least. DH wants DS to get a head start on school by starting to read some of his texts over the summer…maybe working on some of his Latin. I’m not sure that’s a good idea – I think the kid needs a mental break!! – but we’ll be taking some vacation time, too, so I guess it’ll be OK.</p>

<p>AL34, most of my textbooks are international editions and I have never had a problem using them. I make sure that they are printed in color on high-quality paper and despite the warnings printed on the international editions, the content is exactly the same. The only issue I’ve found when buying online is the widely-differing shipping times between sellers (ie 14-27 days for one and 2-5 days for another) and the fact that some of my professors don’t use the “required” textbook.</p>

<p>For convenience, ordering textbooks from the Supply Store is nice. For value, however, do consider looking other places like half.com, abebooks.com or Amazon.com. Some books will be about the same no matter where one searches. Others, there is a huge difference. For example, one of my son’s math books ran $195 at the Supply Store (no used copies were offered). I got it on Amazon for $6 used. You can sell these books back to Amazon, and you can a credit on your account for future purchases.</p>

<p>LadyDianeski: That mental break is definitely needed for any kid going to college in the fall. I have HS seniors saying that this will be the first time in many years that they will not have summer assignments/papers. They have other things to do – like a vacation, part-time job, volunteering, cleaning out things they do not plan to take to school, reading that pile of books just for fun or shopping for the things they do need for the fall.</p>

<p>[url=&lt;a href=“http://www.bookfinder.com%5DBookFinder.com:”&gt;http://www.bookfinder.com]BookFinder.com:</a> Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books<a href=“The%20best%20book%20search%20engine,%20bar%20none”>/url</a></p>

<p>Some textbooks are unique to Bama and need to be purchased at the Supe Store (they are more like a binder with loose pages).</p>

<p>^That is correct, though many of the “binder-ready” textbooks have a paper or hardback version available through other sources, often for less than the binder-ready version.</p>

<p>If the book appears to only be available at the Supestore, it could either be a limited print book or a custom edition of a popular book. For the latter the instructor/professor knows what makes the book “custom.” For example, one of my classes uses a book that costs $75 for a custom paperback edition with some of the chapters removed, but the hardback version with all the chapters can be bought online for $17, shipping included.</p>

<p>Is there a way to find out ahead of time what the text for a course will be? E.g., one of the core courses such as Honors Western Civ?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>To check which textbooks are required for a class, go to the Supply Store website. You will need to put in the semester, course, number and section. Each professor who is teaching that course will be listed (along with the section). Click on that. The list of books will pop up. Many professors will wait until the summer months to post the required textbooks. (One of my son’s professors waited until a week or so before the class started).</p>

<p>Thanks, momreads! I found the texts used for Spring 2011, and they looked great. Better yet, most were available super-cheap at Amazon, LOL. (Plus, we already own some of them–like Plato’s Dialogues, Machiavelli’s The Prince, etc.)</p>

<p>I hope the profs use much the same stuff for fall. If need be, we can get that rush-rush deal from Amazon.</p>

<p>I havent seen anyone mention that you can also rent textbooks. You can rent them from the Supe Store as well as from outside websites. Just thought that I would put that out there for consumption.</p>