The Bragging Thread

<p>^^^ That’s fantastic, Donna!! Does he know yet where he’s going to grad school? Or is he going to work for a while?</p>

<p>oh DonnaL that really is impressive, how wonderful for your son to receive such high praise from his professors…kvell away</p>

<p>congrats all so many things to be happy about. I killed a big dock spider once, when everyone jumped on the bed screaming, it must have come into the house on a towel.
D went to a grad party the other day, she left because she didnt like what was going on. I was proud of her for thaking that step.</p>

<p>Great news everyone!! Such excitement and pride!!</p>

<p>Frazzled- The guy who won the $$ in Vegas was I think a little older than the “newly graduated” crowd. I didn’t ask too many questions, but this guy (not my son) might fancy himself to be on the road to being a professional gambler. Ugh. That scares the daylights out of me. So to answer your question, while the <em>wise</em> thing would be for this guy to bank a bunch/most of the $$, I don’t know that he will.</p>

<p>Thanks, VeryHappy and MyTurnNow. His plan is to take a year before graduate school, so in a few weeks he’ll be back home in New York and New Jersey (i.e., at my place and my ex’s), going through the process of deciding where to apply, and visiting some places, and applying beginning in the fall. Plus, he’ll be continuing to try to find some kind of relevant job for that year! So it’ll be like high school again, except not.</p>

<p>I’m hesitant to post this brag, but since this is CC at least it will be appreciated here. Both my kids are National AP Scholars, which sounds like the highest possible AP Scholar award. But it isn’t. The most elite award is actually State AP Scholar, which each year is awarded to the top AP boy and girl in each state, or 100 (or maybe 102 with D.C.).</p>

<p>Both of my kids are State AP Scholars. I am possibly more vicariously proud of that accomplishment than any other.</p>

<p>Congrats, Sherpa, DonnaL & everyone else. Our S was also the male State AP Scholar the year he was a HS SR. D went the other direction & didn’t take any APs but took CC in what should have been her HS SR year. Worked fine for both of them.</p>

<p>thumper1, you get an award from me.</p>

<p>I check this thread every few days. Love all the good news. I now can kill spiders, but I think that only happened when I became a mom.</p>

<p>Wonderful accomplishment for your kids, Sherpa. Although neither of mine got the state designated AP scholar award both made National AP Scholar (8 exams of >=4 by end of junior year). Son was a Presidential Scholar, as well. In all he took 13 APs and was able to graduate college in three years when a wonderful job opportunity suddenly presented itself to him in the middle of his college junior year. Those APs paid off. Daughter will have completed 11 APs when she graduates high school next week. This will make early graduation from college quite viable for her, as well. No expectation that she will want to do that but you never know.</p>

<p>Congrats! Very impressive DonnaL, Sherpa and others!</p>

<p>Congrats all with those great AP stats!</p>

<p>would be an interesting research study, “how does parental involvement on CC influence their kids’ academic accomplishments” </p>

<p>not meant to take away anything from our kids actual achievements, but I know I have learned so much on here that has been of value to my kids…for example, sharing with my HS sophomore s that he might want to take the SAT subject tests now just after completing AP Chem etc. those tips that can influence outcomes…or hearing the recommendation for my d to take the ACT which she did much better on than the SAT…</p>

<p>I know that my S has mostly found his own path–CC is for me & have used it a bit to help him figure out lodging in DC. He wanted to take the APs, so he signed up & took them. He’s one of those who enjoy tests, really! He took tests via JHU so he could take the SAT in 7th & 8th grade because he found it FUN! D on the other hand does well in them but has never found it FUN.</p>

<p>Congrats to everyone on all the great stuff going on.</p>

<p>My S1 (U.S. Navy officer…Spec. Ops) has been assigned to work for the Secret Service during the Democratic National Convention in Sept.</p>

<p>Congrats PackMom! Let’s bring some dignity back to the Service!</p>

<p>This isn’t a brag so much as a fact: I’ve been four days at my new job and, while I’m not enjoying every single minute, I now realize that – for the last 20 years or so – I’ve been trying to be a round peg in a square hole. I think that at this job, I’ll finally be a round peg in a round hole.</p>

<p>Amazing.</p>

<p>Yay! Congrats to all! Love to hear the brags. We need more positive news.</p>

<p>D’s fellowship post has been officially confirmed. Now the craze of getting visas, shots, etc. begins.</p>

<p>I got invited for an interview at one of the programs to which I applied! It is a good sign.</p>

<p>My soon.to.be.graduated (Sunday) D collected some sort of award at the Chemistry department luncheon today with $300attached! The bad news is that no other parents were there so we were banished to go do her laundry. We have not seen her since Xmas, so laundry was ok with me. She got her final A at the lunch, too as the chemistry teacher didn’t post them by ten when they were due.</p>

<p>And our sweet son got his physics prof to let him take the final a day late so he can fly here on the red eye on Fri night, see his sis grad on Sunday, then fly back Monday for his week of finals. Having 100 on the midterm helped decide the prof, I am sure.</p>

<p>This is such a nice thread! I enjoy reading the posts.</p>

<p>Was recently elected to the board of a national organization at a national meeting in SF. :slight_smile: It should be interesting.</p>

<p>Went clothes shopping with son yesterday, and he picked out his own pants, shirts and belt, and tried all items on. Can hardly believe this is my son. He really is growing up!</p>